Playlist VLC for Shield

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
lemmy999
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Playlist VLC for Shield

Postby lemmy999 » 14 Apr 2019 19:51

I have VLC 3.1.2 on my Nvidia Shield. I notice in the 3 dot menu that is below the time slider while playing a video that there is a "save playlist". I don't really understand what this does. While playing a video I select this and type in a name suck as "MyList" and click ok. Then I go to another video and begin playing it and select "save playlist" and I have the option (although it is cumbersome) to select "MyList" and click ok. I would assume then that somewhere there is a playlist named "MyList" stored that has those two videos in it. But I can't seem to find the playlist anywhere.

1. are my assumptions regarding the functionality of this correct?
2. where is the playlist stored?

It almost seems like the VLC that shows up on the Shield is completely different than the version that gets load on a phone. There seem to be much fewer options. For example I don't get any sort options that are supposedly in 3.1.2. I just get "Name" as the only option (for SMB and local directories). Also, with VERY rare exception, after I stop playing a video, I do not get the progress bar and the text showing how far along in time I am in watching the video on the icon for the video. And of course the Playlist functionality is great on my phone, but seemingly nonexistent on the Shield. Am I missing something basic? Thanks.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Re: Playlist VLC for Shield

Postby Aza » 16 Apr 2019 09:29

1. are my assumptions regarding the functionality of this correct?
In fact, yes. Playlist management has not been added (yet) in Android TV.
That's something that will be done for 3.2 and therefor, this setting should not be available.
2. where is the playlist stored?
It is stored, but not displayed.
It almost seems like the VLC that shows up on the Shield is completely different than the version that gets load on a phone.
That's right : different platforms (and usage) lead to different apps.
There seem to be much fewer options. For example I don't get any sort options that are supposedly in 3.1.2. I just get "Name" as the only option (for SMB and local directories). Also, with VERY rare exception, after I stop playing a video, I do not get the progress bar and the text showing how far along in time I am in watching the video on the icon for the video. And of course the Playlist functionality is great on my phone, but seemingly nonexistent on the Shield. Am I missing something basic? Thanks.
You're still right. But we are working on it. The 3.2 version should be far more similar to the mobile version.

lemmy999
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Playlist VLC for Shield

Postby lemmy999 » 17 Apr 2019 19:22

Thank you! I have always been confused when reading this forum and reading discussions about things that weren't in the app on my Shield.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”