Chromecast from Chromebook

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
lashram
New Cone
New Cone

Chromecast from Chromebook

Postby lashram » 26 Mar 2019 04:47

I'm checking back in after 5-6 months or so. I noticed my chromebook updated to vlc 3.1 rc4 android beta, and noticed some new features but still don't see a cast icon... So either I am missing a setting or it still isn't there yet. My fear with vlc and chromebooks is that the VLC web app got abandoned because Android was coming to chromebooks and one could simply install the Android app. Now Android is here without casting functionality. In the next 2 months Crostini (linux for chromebooks) will have audio and gpu acceleration and Android VLC will probably stop catering to Chromebook users once again.

Also the Debian Desktop VLC app (most current for buster debian,) Can NOT cast on a chromebook either. Probably due to limitations due to security with Crostini. I just want to use VLC on ma damn Chromebook...

Thanks for all the hard work VLC

unidan
Developer
Developer

Re: Chromecast from Chromebook

Postby unidan » 26 Mar 2019 09:37

Hi,

The issue with chromebook is a networking issue. We could easily cast if we knew the ip address of the chromecast, but for the enduser it must be discovered on the network, which seems to be difficult on chromebook. The security features of chromebook provide a network isolation layer, which prevent from listening to multicast discovery messages.

Chromebook version is far from being abandoned. It's even running more or less the same code as android version, and still using the same core as any other VLC version. ;)

jinky89
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jinky89 » 09 May 2019 23:26

Hi,

The issue with chromebook is a networking issue. We could easily cast if we knew the ip address of the chromecast, but for the enduser it must be discovered on the network, which seems to be difficult on chromebook. The security features of chromebook provide a network isolation layer, which prevent from listening to multicast discovery messages.

Chromebook version is far from being abandoned. It's even running more or less the same code as android version, and still using the same core as any other VLC version. ;)
I have been waiting for this function for months, thanks for the answer, now I understand what the problem is.

Why are the other apps on chrome os able to use chromecast? how do they overcome this problem?

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 10 May 2019 14:46

The other app are using the google SDK, we are using our own open source chromecast stack, so they might use a feature from the system that we don't know yet.

jinky89
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jinky89 » 12 May 2019 13:23

I understand, I always appreciate your work, I hope one day to see this feature.

Dekans
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Dekans » 13 May 2019 11:34

You can Chromecast via ChromeOS menu directly.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”