audio play sorted by filename - VLC for Android

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
c4r4j0_ar
New Cone
New Cone

audio play sorted by filename - VLC for Android

Postby c4r4j0_ar » 07 Jun 2018 13:41

Hi, I would like to be able to listen to my podcasts chronologically.
The chronological sequence can be related to the filename. It's easy to assign appropriate filenames for the files on a folder.
It is really crazy how VLC for Android changes the names of the files to some metadata from inside the file and then there is no way to see the filename again to be able to arrange the files in the intended sequence. Anyway, I agree that somebody may like this feature, but can you let US decide whether to listen on metadata order or filename order?
As I've said these are podcasts, not music. They are deleted after herd and new podcasts are added to the folder as they are published, so no prepared playlist is usefull.
There are several apps to listen to podcasts but I like to keep it simple, files, folders and just VLC.
Can you add this simple option to let us see our files in filename order and play them this way?
Thank you!

Dekans
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: audio play sorted by filename - VLC for Android

Postby Dekans » 07 Jun 2018 16:27

I'll take a look.

Also, in a future release we will provide sort by filename and by date options.

c4r4j0_ar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby c4r4j0_ar » 08 Jun 2018 17:35

That will be great!
Thank you!

Whateverman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Whateverman » 15 Jun 2018 05:00

Hi everyone,

Dekans just solved my problem in another thread, but I still have a problem similar to the one being described here.

c4r4j0_ar wants to be able sort media by file name and/or date. The version of VLC for Android I'm using (3.0.11 beta) automatically sorts everything by title. *I* would like the option to have VLC NOT sort my media for me.

For example, if I have several videos in the playlist, let me see them in the order they're listed in the playlist - rather than sorting them in a way I hadn't intended. I'm sure I could go back through my playlists and modify the entries (or modify the media's metadata) to rename stuff, and get everything to play in the order I'd wanted - but this defeats the purpose of having a playlist.

So - when using a play list, I would prefer an option to use the order in the playlist.

ps. I appreciate the help and feedback I've received in this forum. Thanks devs!

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”