strepto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

BUG: Error in 'genre' Indexing

Postby strepto » 25 Jan 2018 11:48

Revision: a51247083
VLC: ced0c03d9d
Phone: SM-G930F @ Android 7.0

First of all - let me start by thanking the collective VLC team for an amazing product. I have been an avid lover of VLC since the dinosaurs ruled, and continue to love the product on all my platforms.

After the recent update in January, I experienced problems with track listing by 'Genre'. The problem may be related to other listings as well (Album, Songs, etc..), but I've only noticed it in 'Genre'. I use MP3Tag and MixedInKey to deal with tagging of my music collection, which is exclusively lossless .AIFF files, tagged with ID3 v.2.3.

The general problem is that VLC does not sort tracks by genre in a correct manner. Tracks that are tagged with a specific genre end up in the wrong category, or is not listed by a genre at all. Other tracks are listed in several- or all genres. One problem seems to be that all files in an album where one or more tracks tagged with a specific genre is present - all files in that album is listed, regardless of other genres present. VLC doesn't seem to filter out the tracks that are tagged with genres other than the one specific genre in question - resulting in the same tracks showing up in several 'genre' listings.

From MP3Tag I see that 'Genre' is handled by;

Value: $meta_sep(genre,\\)
Field: %genre%

Reading the very same collection of music in VLC on Windows works just fine.

Cheers,

Tord

chouquette
Developer
Developer

Re: BUG: Error in 'genre' Indexing

Postby chouquette » 26 Jan 2018 12:46

Hi,

I believe this is now fixed. The issue was that we were extracting the genres' tracks using albums as an intermediate. As a result, any album having at least a track of a specific genre would end up being listed in its entirety in the tracks tab.

We now have the correct listing for genres:
- Albums will list all the albums with at least a track with this genre
- Tracks will list all the tracks with this genre.

If you can try out those APKs to confirm:
- http://people.videolan.org/~chouquette/ ... new-ml.apk
- http://people.videolan.org/~chouquette/ ... new-ml.apk

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 26 Jan 2018 14:10

Same problem for me with the latest debug build.

For instance, and since you have my files, when I check the Genres list and I go to the R&B genre, I can see in the Albums sublist a Greatest Hits folder with Earth, Wind & Fire AND ZZ Top.
E,W&F genre tag is R&B but ZZ Top genre tag is Rock. So ZZ Top has no reason to be in the R&B genre.

It looks like the Album tag has some priority over all other tags in the Artists and Genre main lists.

strepto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby strepto » 29 Jan 2018 07:07

Dear chouquette,

I tried with the build you suggested, and it does seem to have improved somewhat, as in I see more listings in the various genres - but still - the same tracks is placed in multiple genre listings, and some aren't listed at all.

Cheers,

Tord

strepto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby strepto » 29 Jan 2018 22:01

chouquette
Developer
Developer

Postby chouquette » 30 Jan 2018 13:39

Same problem for me with the latest debug build.

For instance, and since you have my files, when I check the Genres list and I go to the R&B genre, I can see in the Albums sublist a Greatest Hits folder with Earth, Wind & Fire AND ZZ Top.
E,W&F genre tag is R&B but ZZ Top genre tag is Rock. So ZZ Top has no reason to be in the R&B genre.

It looks like the Album tag has some priority over all other tags in the Artists and Genre main lists.
I might have screwed something up, but in any case, in my local build, ZZ Top doesn't appear in R&B anymore. Hopefully we will release this afternoon in the beta channel.

chouquette
Developer
Developer

Postby chouquette » 30 Jan 2018 22:17

The beta version is live :)

If you're not a tester yet but would like to check, you can enlist here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/org.videolan.vlc

strepto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby strepto » 19 Feb 2018 17:44

Hi,

The problem remains in version 3.0.0.

This used to work just fine. What went wrong?

chouquette
Developer
Developer

Postby chouquette » 20 Feb 2018 17:47

I'm a bit puzzled, I can't reproduce with the collection I have.

Could you provide me with a few files that exhibit the issue? Or at least could you provide a more specific description of your issue?

strepto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby strepto » 21 Feb 2018 15:51

Hi, thank you for your kind reply.

Looking closer into the subject, it seems I might have gotten a bit closer to the core of the problem. What I believed to be a sorting/cataloging error, seems to be related to VLC ability to read, analyse and categorize the files from the phone.

The files that I noticed were missing from the "AUDIO" -> "GENRE" section of VLC, are in fact not found by VLC at all. However, when going to "DIRECTORIES", and manually choosing the file to play - it works just fine.

Could this problem be related to how VLC reads .aif/.aiff files? It seems like the few .mp3 files I have are read- and sorted correctly.

chouquette
Developer
Developer

Postby chouquette » 21 Feb 2018 16:37

That could be it indeed. Could you upload on of the files you're using somewhere? (dropbox/wetransfer/framadrop, you name it, or even by mail: hugo@videolan.org)

strepto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby strepto » 23 Feb 2018 09:18

Hi! I sent you an email with a few examples :)

chouquette
Developer
Developer

Postby chouquette » 23 Feb 2018 09:58

Fixed by https://code.videolan.org/videolan/medi ... 2bb8f6b351

Thanks a lot for your help!

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”