How do I create playlists?

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
vetteluv
New Cone
New Cone

How do I create playlists?

Postby vetteluv » 05 Jul 2015 23:12

How do I create a music playlist on VLC for Android? Sorry to ask a redundant question (tverason asked on 06/21, but no answer). I checked the f.a.q. & scrolled through 7 pages of search results & found no clear answer. Is there a "create playlist button" I'm just not seeing? Thanks.

nickfaraujo
New Cone
New Cone

Re: How do I create playlists?

Postby nickfaraujo » 06 Jul 2015 06:10

When you browse the library, on the right side of the track there will be three dots, tap it and tap add (not sure if it's really add because I'm using it in a different language). This will queue the track, after you added all the tracks, open the queue list and at the top, there will be an icon that looks like a memory card. Tap it and enter a name to save. Note: while queuing, if you tap any track (not on the three dots, for example the track title) you will reset the list and add only that song.

LewG
New Cone
New Cone

Postby LewG » 08 Jul 2015 16:01

How do we "open the queue list and at the top"?

While playing a song or while browsing a list of songs,
if I press and hold the song title or the three dots on the right,
I get a popup menu that has "append".

I've created 3 lists by accident -- no idea what I did, can't replicate the procedure, and I don't know how to edit a list.

LewG
New Cone
New Cone

Postby LewG » 12 Jul 2015 14:45

Anyone?

rugk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rugk » 25 Jul 2015 15:56

Well... I think "append" is the right word for "add". :)

MrVibrating
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MrVibrating » 13 Aug 2015 02:11

The impossibly convoluted and tricky playlist functionality is just the tip of the iceberg, yet seems par for the course under Android...

I've just wasted another evening going through every single music player on Google's Play Store, and they're all unutterably atrocious.

Apalling junk, each and every one.

And all in the same way - a tiny set of incomplete player controls at the bottom of a massive screen filled with bloat / pictures / inane lists.

VLC has simply followed suit - it's almost impossible to navigate the awful library lists without accidentally selecting a track you're trying to scroll past.

Only a few feature volume sliders - the rest that even have on-screen volume controls require navigating to a separate screen. VLC doesn't have one at all.

I'm seriously considering trying to install an emulated Windows OS so i can run MPC or the proper version of VLC player. Those are precisely the kinds of GUI's i need, but which aren't available anywhere on the Android platform. Even the WinAMP port ditches everything that was good about the Windows version and copies the disfunctional Google Play Music GUI and its neurotic assumption that all music can be classified by Artist, Album, Genre and Song.

All i listen to is oldskool hardcore & drum&bass, no "songs", just tracks, few by the same "artist", even fewer as "albums" (Metalheadz, Ganja Cru etc. but you mix tracks from these, not listen to a whole album like it's pop music), and the "Genre" classification is just asinine - there's no jazz or rock etc. here, just oldskool hardcore!?

All these music players that copy this same dumb, redundant Library format from Google Play Music just make me facepalm - they could not BE more out of touch with my requirements. They're on another planet. In another dimension. Square pegs, round hole.

All i want is play/pause, stop, FWD/RWD, prev/next, a volume slider and a proper simple playlist editor (on its own page, not dominating the play control interface). Just the most basic rudimentary necessities, yet entirely absent from any app on the Play Store. It's a shockingly derelict state of affairs.

I've no problem parting with cash, but there's simply no such goods on offer.

In short, all i want is classic VLC player. Not "Yet Another Re-skin of Google Play Music". Don't put a stonking great list of files on the main play screen, where it's impossible to scroll or wake the screen without inadvertently selecting one. Use a SMALL file list, on a separate screen, next to a drag'n'drop playlist editor, that also allows range selection (ie. ALL, or ALL tracks between range points, plus individual select and de-select... you know, a normal, sane GUI).

This is my first week with Android. I expected it to be a mature platform, over-supplied with superior music players. I thought my new octacore fondleslab would be the last word in portable media players. What a fist-gnawing disappointment it's been. Even the stalwarts VLC and WinAMP have fallen to the same gormless malaise afflicting every other music app on the platform.

Tried a few Rockbox builds but couldn't get a runner, though i don't hold out much hope it hasn't simply joined the back of the giddy Google conga line.

I'm almost relieved there isn't an MPC port, since that would inevitably have gone the same way. At least it's retained its dignity by staying clear of the whole follow-my-leader Android asylum. Thank God they haven't sold their soul to the 'droid. The possibility of running an old win98 build under Bochs is the only light i see on the horizon..

/rant

mbk23
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mbk23 » 31 Aug 2015 22:56

I actually created a few playlists but can't seem to remember how I did it. I didn't add each song individually either. I was able to select the whole library of music and it was done. then, all my images changed from the album image to one from another folder. I had to delete and reinstall and now I can't seem to figure out how the heck I made a playlist. Seriously, this may not be a "bug" but it is a serious UI/UX problem. I just want a dang create playlist button thank you very much.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Postby edwardw » 05 Sep 2015 00:35

VLC can browse by folder as well instead of by the audio organizer. Select it from the sidebar.

vetteluv
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vetteluv » 28 Sep 2015 08:06

VLC can browse by folder as well instead of by the audio organizer. Select it from the sidebar.
Thank you for chiming in. As the developer, I'm sure you're busy & would never accomplish anything if you responded to every little gripe & complaint, but I was wondering if you could address some of MrVibrating's observations about the lack of simplicity & intuitiveness in the Android version of VLC vs. the PC version. -Have always used & loved the high level of options & functionality that VLC provides, but is there any way to incorporate some of the simplifications that MrV suggested. -Thanks for your consideration.

vetteluv
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vetteluv » 28 Sep 2015 08:13

When you browse the library, on the right side of the track there will be three dots, tap it and tap add (not sure if it's really add because I'm using it in a different language). This will queue the track, after you added all the tracks, open the queue list and at the top, there will be an icon that looks like a memory card. Tap it and enter a name to save. Note: while queuing, if you tap any track (not on the three dots, for example the track title) you will reset the list and add only that song.
Nick, thank you for the reply. I know this post is a few months old, but your answer was spot on! Except on the English version of the app the word is "Append". But would be much more intuitive if it simply said "add" as you mentioned.

isoftincteam
New Cone
New Cone

Postby isoftincteam » 22 Oct 2015 07:16

Playlists are sets or "albums" that you can create with your own or other people's tracks on SoundCloud.

To create a playlist, click on ‘Add to playlist’ below any track to place it into a playlist. To create a new playlist, click the 'Create New' playlist tab.

You can arrange the tracks within a playlist at any time, by going to the playlist’s edit page. To do so just click the pencil icon underneath the waveform and select the "Tracks" tab where you can move them into the order you like. You can also shuffle tracks in a playlist through the shuffle button, to mix it up:

saSs
New Cone
New Cone

Postby saSs » 10 Feb 2016 22:30

sorry but VLC player (only for android) is the worst aplication and completelly unintuitive....

I can't:
- sing default folder with mp3 files
- change playlist with song and display song which was choose for this lists
- video player don't display image

but VLC for PC computers is very very good and intuitive.

where the difference ????

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 11 Feb 2016 20:14

What is your device? What Android version are you running?

painless187
New Cone
New Cone

Postby painless187 » 18 Mar 2016 15:53

Im using 6.01 android and VLC still is completely anti-user when it comes to playing music files. No way to make a playlist unless you have a masters degree in patience. C'mon devs, VLC rocks, make it better and add a "star" that one can click on to add a music file to a playlist.

dnuttall
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.1.4
Operating System: Windows/Mac OS

Postby dnuttall » 09 Jun 2016 12:42

Im using 6.01 android and VLC still is completely anti-user when it comes to playing music files. No way to make a playlist unless you have a masters degree in patience. C'mon devs, VLC rocks, make it better and add a "star" that one can click on to add a music file to a playlist.
I'm in exactly the same mode: S7 Edge w/6.01.
My home-made karaoke videos PLAY great but seems impossible to create a playlist for VLC whether files are on the phone or added-SD card.

Perfect solution (in my opinion) would be to be able to open VLC as on a PC or Mac (Ctrl-L) and then add individual files to the playlist from "My Files", and then of course be able to SAVE and re-use.

I'm not sure how to configure VLC to see the SD card also.

My plan is to use the phone and a small bluetooth speaker to do beside music programs in hospital/hospice, etc.....where the MacBook will work, but is very clumsy compared to S7 Edge!

Dave
San Antonio, TX

imthelorax
New Cone
New Cone

Postby imthelorax » 09 Jun 2016 19:07

I have a Motorola Photon and installed VLC Android version (1.7.5: 5815104 2016-01-02 ARMv7) - the playlist (append) does not work. I try to append and no playlist is created. This is the first time I am using VLC for the music feature. Please fix, and or let me know if there is any additional information you require to fix this bug. 8) Or, if I need to repost this elsewhere. :roll:

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 09 Jun 2016 19:30

If you just append 1 file you'll have a playlist of 1 file, which may or may not be useful...

baltus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby baltus » 21 Sep 2016 08:20

Yes, I managed to make a one-song playlist too. Impressing.

Good to see others out there are requesting something as basic as ticking off from a track list to fill a playlist, fast and easy. What and how are developers thinking?? Do it right, once and for all, and don't change for change's sake. Then my old mother's lost, having to learn all those tricks and complexities all over.

shortt304
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shortt304 » 22 Sep 2016 17:59

Placed my tracks in a folder.
Opened VLC.
Used directory function to navigate to folder
Touched the 3 vertical dots to the right of the folder name.
Touched Play
First song in folder started playing.
Touched the song bar at the bottom to expand.
Touched the vertical 3 dots.
Touched the 3.5 floppy disk icon.
Named my Playlist.
All 51 tracks in the folder were added to the Playlist.

dnuttall
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.1.4
Operating System: Windows/Mac OS

Postby dnuttall » 22 Sep 2016 18:03

Dear SHORTT304:
Are you operating on an Android smartphone?
Your process works OK on a PC or Mac, but it was the Android version that stumped me from the beginning.
Thanks.

zzw
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zzw » 28 Oct 2016 05:24

ditto to dnuttall » 22 Sep 2016 18:03; on galaxy s7edge

zzw
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zzw » 29 Oct 2016 23:37

ditto to dnuttall » 23 Sep 2016 02:03 i can't see how to do it on galaxy s7 edge

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”