Chapter Support

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
maiki
New Cone
New Cone

Chapter Support

Postby maiki » 24 Dec 2013 20:27

I am surprised that the default video player on my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone (USA, T-Mobile) has no support for chapters in video. (Unlike the default video player in IOS devices, which does support chapters.)

As the desktop VLC Media Player supports navigating to chapters, I thought the Android version would. Although I am unable to download-install the official VLC Media Player Beta from the Play Store, I have downloaded and installed recent nightly builds from your web site dev zone.

I am surprised that your Android version has no chapter support, at least as of the nightly build a few days ago!!

Why is this important feature missing? Will it be added soon? When?

As that is a glaring fault in the default Android video player, including that important function in VLC media player would bring users to your product.

When can we expect it? Thank you.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Re: Chapter Support

Postby edwardw » 26 Dec 2013 05:25

maiki
New Cone
New Cone

Postby maiki » 28 Dec 2013 04:40

Thanks for the link, Edward W.

I read it, but not sure I understand it. It seems to be about chapter support, but I am not really clear what that link says about it.

I would hope that it would mean that chapter navigation will be added soon, but I don't really understand what it says.

Could someone explain please?

Thank you.

PS The least amount of chapter navigation would be for the back and forward buttons to go to the next and previous chapter, at least if one sets that option. Better yet would be like in desktop VLC, to be able to see a list of chapter names and to choose one to navigate to.
Last edited by maiki on 28 Dec 2013 04:58, edited 1 time in total.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 28 Dec 2013 04:43

The ticket is an representation of our progress on this issue, where you can follow and see if anything was changed.

If the ticket remains open, it means the feature in question was not yet implemented.

maiki
New Cone
New Cone

Postby maiki » 08 Jan 2014 10:41

The ticket is an representation of our progress on this issue, where you can follow and see if anything was changed.

If the ticket remains open, it means the feature in question was not yet implemented.
Thanks for the explanation.

I see there the following: "Work status: Not started"

That means the progress is zero, right? No work on that feature at all?

Is there an intention to add that feature? Any idea when?

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 08 Jan 2014 21:23

The work status field is not widely used in Trac.

inigmntoya
New Cone
New Cone

Postby inigmntoya » 20 Jun 2014 22:38

by edwardw >> The ticket is an representation of our progress on this issue, where you can follow and see if anything was changed.

by edwardw >> The work status field is not widely used in Trac.

So how exactly is progress tracked? No new comments = no progress?
I'm also unclear why this issue is flagged as an "enhancement" when the core VLC player has supported chapters for a very long time.

I've been looking for this feature in an Android player for 3+ years now, yet my obsolete Gen 2 iPod Touch supported chapters out of the box?

So far the ONLY Android player I've been able to find with chapter support is a little known app "LVOE Media Player" (that's LVOE, not "love").
The problem with that one is it can't see my 64GB external SD card which is where I have the space available for my videos. But it proves is can be done.
I can't imagine it would be all that difficult to implement?

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 20 Jun 2014 22:42

So how exactly is progress tracked? No new comments = no progress?
Since VLC is a volunteer project and there are many different issues which come up, not every issue is going to be worked on immediately.

With this particular ticket, we are not 100% sure how to best integrate it into the UI, and seeing as how we are in the middle of a UI rewrite, stabilizing the UI and player is our current priority.
I'm also unclear why this issue is flagged as an "enhancement" when the core VLC player has supported chapters for a very long time.
The VLC mobile ports each have their UI layer developed from scratch for best native integration.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”