VLC For Android not available for USA user?

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
gameson
New Cone
New Cone

VLC For Android not available for USA user?

Postby gameson » 31 Mar 2013 00:40

I am in US. When I click the Google Play link, I can not install it to my device (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1), it said that it's not available in USA.

I wonder if maybe VideoLan can make this app available for US user in Google Play?

Thanks.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Re: VLC For Android not available for USA user?

Postby edwardw » 31 Mar 2013 15:49

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Please take the latest ARMv7 nightly build: http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/arm ... 1-0117.apk

BiafraRepublic
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BiafraRepublic » 03 Apr 2013 05:45

Here's a novel idea: Make the play store version compatible already. Enough Americans should have downloaded the Android nightlies already to give the developers a semblance of where it will work and where it won't. The only thing standing in the way is laziness, IMO.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 03 Apr 2013 12:20

Here's a novel idea: Make the play store version compatible already. Enough Americans should have downloaded the Android nightlies already to give the developers a semblance of where it will work and where it won't. The only thing standing in the way is laziness, IMO.
https://twitter.com/videolan/status/219905346196615168

BiafraRepublic
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BiafraRepublic » 09 Apr 2013 05:28

https://twitter.com/videolan/status/219905346196615168
After nine months, you should have enough download metrics for the nightlies to determine if it broadly works with US devices. Plus, with the Nexus 4, 7, and 10, and the Galaxy Nexus (all of which are either Wifi only or Wifi+Pentaband HSPA+) selling like hotcakes, and representing the three biggest chipsets there are (two of which, the Tegra 3 and the OMAP 4, you already support, and the other 2 use chipsets that are minor updates to ones you already support), it's not as if you are going to have to invest in a lot of US devices.

So tick the US box already and make it available, please. You'll make a lot of users over here happy.

jammesscot
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jammesscot » 10 Apr 2013 12:28

check this link. I hope this will be worthy http://www.extremetech.com/computing/13 ... h-american

BiafraRepublic
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BiafraRepublic » 15 Apr 2013 12:21

I remember that release article. I personally believe the "lack of North America-specific devices" reason to be laziness and an excuse. Tick the box, developers!

sumantaadk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sumantaadk » 15 Apr 2013 16:30

Download vpn https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... et.hideman Make your server as Asian or any non American country's ip. Go to googleplay and download Vlc from there. Vlc is open source so it is legal to download from any atea either hiding ip or showing your identity

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 15 Apr 2013 20:29

Or the nightly builds :)

BiafraRepublic
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BiafraRepublic » 19 Jul 2013 12:22

Okay, now that American iOS users can download VLC from their App Store, a new argument in favor of allowing Americans to download VLC from Google Play: country availability parity.

Seriously, make it available soon to us American users.

bkp
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bkp » 02 Aug 2013 03:19

I used my VPN (set the server to another country) and was able to download it.
But yeah, it's pretty lame that the developers seem to be (trying to) intentionally block U.S. users.

npatel1050
New Cone
New Cone

Postby npatel1050 » 09 Aug 2013 08:19

I'm wondering why VLC still hasn't made its way to the US play market yet. I don't mind downloading nightlies and installing them manually, but the play store updates are a little more seamless.
Add it the Play Store for USA, or have built in app updates OTA.
There should be more than enough data now to release to US phones

aitte
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

America Play store

Postby aitte » 27 Sep 2013 08:47

Its been 15 months since it was added to the play store but it's still not available in america. What gives? I can't even reccomend it to friends since they have to sideload a nightly. Also theres random people putting builds out themselves.. :?

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: America Play store

Postby edwardw » 27 Sep 2013 21:46

Its been 15 months since it was added to the play store but it's still not available in america. What gives? I can't even reccomend it to friends since they have to sideload a nightly. Also theres random people putting builds out themselves.. :?
See above.

iluvraspberry
New Cone
New Cone

Postby iluvraspberry » 11 Oct 2013 17:16

Try to download from other websites. i found VLC Direct Pro Free Download from here....

:-)

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 11 Oct 2013 17:18

Try to download from other websites. i found VLC Direct Pro Free Download from here...
Please do not spam. VLC Direct Pro is a scam unrelated to VideoLAN or VLC. Do not use it.

iluvraspberry
New Cone
New Cone

Postby iluvraspberry » 11 Oct 2013 17:22

i dont know ...i think both are same . i found two versions vlc & vlc direct pro ...

Premiumm versions are going to free thas why i given that links :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 11 Oct 2013 17:24

If you're going to download VLC, you can always get it via the nightly builds instead of by potentially malware-infested sites.

QuarkOfNature
New Cone
New Cone

Postby QuarkOfNature » 13 Oct 2013 20:56

Hi folks. I just downloaded another nightly, after finding problems with the last one, and noticing that VLC is still not available for US users.
I noticed on the main forums people asking for more users to test out the latest beta, and US users on that thread referred here, and in this thread edwardw just points to a twitter post from 2012 citing "not enough devices" as to why it's not available in the US.

Can one of the developers provide a little more information about what the issue is? There are obviously plenty of devices in the US...what is the metric by which there are not enough testers? I'd certainly be one, but, like many nightlies users, I'm not sure how you would even know I'm in the US, and therefore I should "count" as a US tester. What's the process by which US users can indicate they're testing the builds, and how many do you need before you're willing to set the beta as compatible with US devices on google play?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Oct 2013 23:26

No developers are in the USA.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

QuarkOfNature
New Cone
New Cone

Postby QuarkOfNature » 25 Nov 2013 01:49

No developers are in the USA.
With all due respect, I don't understand this answer at all. Developer presence in a given country shouldn't drive an arbitrary limiting of access through the Play store. Most apps on the store are available in far more countries than are represented by their developer base.

Unless what you are really getting at is that you want developers from the US to chip in and help with development, and are holding out Play store access as a motivator?

maiki
New Cone
New Cone

Why not in USA?

Postby maiki » 24 Dec 2013 20:21

Your site lists a VLC Media Player for Android Beta available on the Google Play Store, but when I try to access it there, it says "not available on your device". (One of the most popular Android devices, the Samsung Galaxy S4 phone, T-Mobile version.) I read somewhere this is not availabie to users in the USA. Why?

By the way, I have figured out how to get and install the latest nightly build from your dev zone, but I still cannot figure out why the official version is not available in the USA?

PS You are probably aware of this, but there are VLC apps listed in the Play Store, that are not from you, using the VLC logo as well as the name. I would suggest that you ask Google to remove those as a copyright violation.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 26 Dec 2013 05:26

See posters above.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”