ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity problems

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Bob_Swede
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity problems

Postby Bob_Swede » 19 Nov 2012 11:46

I am running my ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity (1920x1200 pixels) with JellyBean version 4.1.1.
Downloaded VLC beta7 yesterday in order to show TV recordings made on a Topfield TF5700PVRt recorder.
The files are in rec format and play OK on the PC using VLC.
But I have noted the following problems:

1) Cannot play the rec files from File Manager, result on tapping file is "Open file failed"

2) Only after repeatedly modifying the VLC settings (Root and Directory) was the rec files shown on the main VLC screen.
Why cannot VLC use the same system as the Android devices do, or else allow me to specify multiple source locations?
I have two storage locations (internal memory and an additional SD card), and I want to play from both. But now VLC requires me to go into Preferences and change first Root and then Directories before I can go to the other "drive" and then I lose any setting for multiple directories I have done on the first drive...

3) Display is OK for stuff that does not move, but as soon as an object moves its contours are doubled up with an interlaced shadow between the contours.
This looks totally ridiculous for animated films like the children's stuff I wanted to put on the tablet....

4) If a rec file has been edited on the PVRt (specifically: leading and trailing ads removed) then the rec file does not play at all (but it does play on the PC).
You get to a black play window and nothing at all happens when tapping the play symbol.

5) When it succeeds in playing a rec file I am unable to full-size the view. It plays in a smaller box approximately 60% of the available screen area. Not filling to the top or the side either, this is a different limitation than letterbox.

6) Cannot play existing videos from my old HTC Desire phone (3GP format), only shows black screen with non-working play button.
Built-in player can handle these files.

7) Cannot play MP4 videos (converted from other formats like rec or MPEG using VLC on a PC). Same result as above.
Built-in player can handle these files.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity problems

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 19 Nov 2012 16:30

1) please share one file

2) will be fixed in next release

3) screenshots, please.

4) please share the logs.

5) even when clicking on the aspect ratio button?

6) please share one of those files

7) too much CPU is used, I think.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Bob_Swede
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Bob_Swede » 19 Nov 2012 18:14

1) please share one file
Files are 250-700 Mb in size. I have an ADSL connection with upload capacity of 7o kbytes/s max.
Can't really send a file that size. And to add to that I can't see how one can attach files to the posts here.
2) will be fixed in next release

3) screenshots, please.
I tried to snatch a screenshot and I think I succeeded somewhat.
But I have no idea how to put it into my post. It seems like one can put pictures in posts if they are located on some http server somewhere, but how can I attach an image file to my post?

Thanks to taking the screenshot I can now add another issue to the list, see #8 below...
4) please share the logs.
Logs???? Where can I find these? This is not a PC it is an Android device...
5) even when clicking on the aspect ratio button?
What button is that? Well, I can't check now because due to #8 I can't use VLC anymore...
6) please share one of those files
I'll try to find one that is decently small... But again, how can I share it here???
7) too much CPU is used, I think.
How can I see CPU usage on Android?

Now the new issue:
8 ) After using the screenshot button while playing a rec file in VLC I can no longer start VLC or jump to it using the recent apps button.
It is simply inaccessible and immediately brings me back to home screen when I try starting it.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Postby edwardw » 20 Nov 2012 22:42

You can share it with any file sharing site like dropbox, rapidshare. For text files like logs, use http://pastebin.com

Also did you try enabling hardware acceleration in the preferences?

Bob_Swede
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Bob_Swede » 20 Nov 2012 23:30

Hardware acceleration was enabled.
I don't want to use these storage services and in any case the file sizes are much too big for my slow upload speed.
I got a suggestion to try MX-Player instead and it works a lot better, can play both edited and non-edited rec files.
But the shadow effect is still there, so I am now leaning towards it being an artifact of the TV recording made in the PVRt.
OTOH when playing the rec files on the PVRt itself these shadowing effects when things move are not present at all....

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”