Help us test VLC for Android and report bugs

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Re: Help us test VLC for Android and report bugs

Postby edwardw » 24 Jul 2013 21:48

I hope this is the right place for this feedback. For a couple months now I've been testing audio on my Galaxy Ace 2 (GT-I810L), listening to a variety of flac and mp3. I have found that audio files with a lot of high-frequency content really crackles and sounds quite bad. This would be for news podcasts with telephone interviews or even some high register instruments (e.g., sax). Additionally, the playback often stutters, especially with larger files, like a podcast. It's occasionally unlistenable and I cannot be sure why some files are better or worse. Anyhow, I'd be happy to dig into this a bit more if it's helpful. I searched the forum and found no similar comments, so I may just have the weirdo phone.
Hello,

Which build are you using, nightlies or Play Store?

Which audio output are you using (check in preferences)?

Can you share a sample?

androo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby androo » 24 Jul 2013 22:05

Hi, I'm using nightlies; can't get it from the PlayStore. I'm didn't know about the audio output selection in the 'advanced debugging' section. It was set to OpenSL. Here's a link to a podcast that typically has poor playback:

http://download.kcrw.com/audio/1804870/ ... 0.6929.mp3

ds33
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ds33 » 25 Jul 2013 02:35

This is probably a lot of information that won't actually help, but it's all I can get. (This is still for a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0, Android 4.1.2, ARMv7 dual core processor.)
Hello,

Could you please try again with the latest latest ARMv7 Android nightly? Thanks.
The video load works with VLC-debug-20130725-0137.apk. Thanks! The debugger still won't load, but that may not have anything to do with VLC itself.

Is there supposed to be a "stop" button somewhere in the video playback interface? It seems a little odd to only have a "pause" option. Audio files show a "stop" button.

Thanks again!

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 25 Jul 2013 14:16

Is there supposed to be a "stop" button somewhere in the video playback interface? It seems a little odd to only have a "pause" option. Audio files show a "stop" button.
To stop a video, just press the back button, as video does not continue to play in the background. Audio continues to play in the background, so the stop button is present if you wish to, well, stop the music :)

vtd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vtd » 25 Jul 2013 19:58

To stop a video, just press the back button, as video does not continue to play in the background
Is there a probability that in later releases the video will continue to play in background just as audio does now? I have read about the "play as audio" option some pages before, but in my usage scenario (viewing video lectures with equations, graphs and other visual information) seeing what's going on is needed, so switching to audio doesn't suit me.

sofakng
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sofakng » 26 Jul 2013 17:59

I'm using an AT&T Galaxy S4 and the 7/25 nightly build for ARMv7.

It's working pretty good but I'm seeing bug #8781 with the 2mm horizontal pixel bug and it also seems like videos stutter for the first two or three seconds when I start to them. (almost all of them)

I submitted the google doc form with my experience on all of the sample video files as well.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 26 Jul 2013 20:07

It's working pretty good but I'm seeing bug #8781 with the 2mm horizontal pixel bug and it also seems like videos stutter for the first two or three seconds when I start to them. (almost all of them)
With regards to the S4 pixel bug, we are aware of it.

As for the video stuttering, did you try hardware-accelerated decoding?

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 27 Jul 2013 20:52

Hi, I'm using nightlies; can't get it from the PlayStore. I'm didn't know about the audio output selection in the 'advanced debugging' section. It was set to OpenSL. Here's a link to a podcast that typically has poor playback:

http://download.kcrw.com/audio/1804870/ ... 0.6929.mp3
Hello androo,

The podcast plays perfectly fine with no crackles, hitches, any other artifacts with _all_ 3 audio outputs on my Galaxy Nexus.

tramway11
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tramway11 » 29 Jul 2013 20:47

Hello.
While loading IceCast 2.3.2-kh29 MP3 stream (192 kbps) with 3G (usually about 2 Mb/s) on HTC Explorer A310e Android 2.3.5, the buffering takes about 15 seconds, then player plays some seconds, pauses and "flyes away". With Wi-Fi router connected to Ethernet, it works normally.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 29 Jul 2013 23:54

Hello.
While loading IceCast 2.3.2-kh29 MP3 stream (192 kbps) with 3G (usually about 2 Mb/s) on HTC Explorer A310e Android 2.3.5, the buffering takes about 15 seconds, then player plays some seconds, pauses and "flyes away". With Wi-Fi router connected to Ethernet, it works normally.
Perhaps your 3G is just too slow.

scalaboy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby scalaboy » 30 Jul 2013 11:16

Hi dudes,
I am new on your forum, i probably write in the wrong place, but i am counting on your comprehension.
I need to know if there is a VLC plugin for android browsers, if someone can answer me i will be very thankfull, Gracias

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 30 Jul 2013 14:26

Hi dudes,
I am new on your forum, i probably write in the wrong place, but i am counting on your comprehension.
I need to know if there is a VLC plugin for android browsers, if someone can answer me i will be very thankfull, Gracias
No, the VLC browser plugin exists only on desktop versions of VLC.

Claghorn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Claghorn » 31 Jul 2013 01:09

I have a bunch of avi files as simple links (no HTML5 or anything) on a web page begin served by apache on my fedora 18 box.

I click on one of those files on chrome using my new 2013 model Nexus 7 and say play with vlc.

I watch half the video, then pause it and go do some other work for about 10 minutes.

When I come back and hit the power button on the Nexus and expect to resume where I left off, it instead starts from the beginning.

This is with VLC-debug-20130726-1426.apk installed (the google play version claims it is incompatible with my device).

On my old Nexus 7 using MX player, it managed to keep the connection live (or maybe resume the transfer where it left off). I was always able to go away and come back when playing videos served by the same web server. (Perhaps this is the new Nexus 7 sleeping somewhat more soundly rather than a VLC problem, but I thought I'd report it).

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 31 Jul 2013 12:29

What does the logcat say?

Claghorn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Claghorn » 31 Jul 2013 18:53

What does the logcat say?
Here's the full logcat from the start of VLC through the pause, nexus 7 sleep, then resume. I'm not entirely sure, but I get the impression VLC just closes the http connection as soon as the Nexus goes to sleep:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/misc/vlc-logcat.txt

Claghorn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Claghorn » 01 Aug 2013 13:44

And I now get the impression it also closes the file descriptor for a copy of the video on an sdcard as well. I played an avi file from a sdcard and did a similar pause and walk away for 10 minutes, when I turned the tablet back on, it picked up where it left off, but could only play a fraction of a second more video, then would close (as if it had some buffered perhaps). If I exited completely, then restarted vlc, it did manage to open the same video and pick up where it left off. Looks like it is confused about what state it did or did not actually have saved during the sleep (always a confusing bit in android apps :-).

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 01 Aug 2013 14:15

And I now get the impression it also closes the file descriptor for a copy of the video on an sdcard as well. I played an avi file from a sdcard and did a similar pause and walk away for 10 minutes, when I turned the tablet back on, it picked up where it left off, but could only play a fraction of a second more video, then would close (as if it had some buffered perhaps). If I exited completely, then restarted vlc, it did manage to open the same video and pick up where it left off. Looks like it is confused about what state it did or did not actually have saved during the sleep (always a confusing bit in android apps :-).
Resume-on-pause should work fine. I will look into it.

Edit: works fine with videos on SD card.

Edit 2: fixed for network streams in latest nightly builds.

Claghorn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Claghorn » 02 Aug 2013 14:48

Yep, I tried it with the built in /sdcard folder, and it doesn't have a problem coming back after a pause and sleep. It looks like the culprit on my first sdcard experiment was using an external card and stickmount on my new Nexus 7. I guess stickmount must have a problem keeping the card mounted across a sleep or something.

Claghorn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Claghorn » 03 Aug 2013 05:26

Back on the http connection closing issue, I've done some experiments with MX player, and I think what it may be doing is saving the file position of the last keyframe, then using the resume download feature of http 1.1 to start there again. I notice that I can completely exit the app, then start the same video URL again, and it offers to resume where I left off.

npatel1050
New Cone
New Cone

Postby npatel1050 » 09 Aug 2013 08:16

Which build should I use for my Galaxy S Relay?
MSM8960 Snapdragon with an Adreno 225

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 09 Aug 2013 15:11

Which build should I use for my Galaxy S Relay?
MSM8960 Snapdragon with an Adreno 225
ARMv7: http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/and ... 8-0105.apk

npatel1050
New Cone
New Cone

Postby npatel1050 » 09 Aug 2013 16:09

Is there a bug tracker?

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 09 Aug 2013 18:46

Is there a bug tracker?
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc

heikis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby heikis » 10 Aug 2013 01:58

I am having constant flickering on my Xperia ZR running on android 4.2.2
However when tilting to full screen then the flickering stops. the flickering occurs only when the video is not covering the entire are of the screen.

norcalinlv
New Cone
New Cone

Postby norcalinlv » 16 Aug 2013 07:19

Best version for Samsung galaxy note 2 i605 running jb 4.1.2 from cleanrom ace 4.9 chipset exynos 4412 quad?

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”