VLC for Android and IDX and SUB subtitles

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Varjak
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC for Android and IDX and SUB subtitles

Postby Varjak » 28 Jul 2024 22:53

I got a new Firestick 4K Max (previously had a 4K on another TV). I installed VLC for Android 3.3.4. I tried to watch a movie with IDX/SUB subtitles. This is a movie that works with VLC on a Mac Mini as a theater server, but will not display subtitles via the Firestick. I tried leaving the IDX/SUB files in their own subs folder, which works with VLC on both Windows and Mac; but they wouldn't work with the Firestick (either the older 4k or the new 4k Max). Then I tried taking them out of their own folder and putting them with the .mp4 file. For some reason, only the SUB file would display. It still wouldn't play the subtitles. I do not have many video files with this subtitle format, but would like to solve the problem anyway, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Re: VLC for Android and IDX and SUB subtitles

Postby Aza » 29 Jul 2024 07:24

VLC for Android 3.3.4 is an old version. Did you mean 3.5.4? Also, please send some logs if you have playback issues.

Varjak
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Varjak » 29 Jul 2024 21:00

i posted another thread about trying to install 3.5.4 right above this one. If you can help me with that it would also be appreciated. I don't recall how I managed to install that on my original Firestick 4K; but since posting, I've discovered that the problem exists on both installations: 3.5.4 on the original Firestick 4K, and 3.3.4 on the new Firestick 4K Max. The problem is even more extensive than I thought. Not only won't it play the IDX/SUB files, it won't display the SRT files I have on a couple of other video files. There doesn't seem to be a pattern as to which files will have a problem and which won't, other than perhaps these video files have that faulty subtitle built into the .mp4 files and not as a separate file. The correct files appear in the correct folders and can be accessed on my Mac Mini using VLC, but not on either Firestick. One quirk I noted was that just like the Firesticks, on the Mac when I use the quick-key to toggle through the subtitles only the faulty subtitle (which only shows a timecode) is given as an option, while when I use the drop-down subtitle menu on the Mac, both files are listed and I can select the proper, correct subtitle that works. I've noticed this before but lived with it.

If you tell me how to generate and post the logs, I'm happy to do it.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 30 Jul 2024 07:05

Could you indeed share some logs? Reproduce the issue and then go to: Settings > Advanced > Debug logs.
To retrieve the logs on Android TV/Firestick, you should follow this: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... ck#p509973
Then share the logs with the sharing service you prefer (Google Drive, Dropbox, pastebin...).

Varjak
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Varjak » 04 Aug 2024 22:11

I think I solved the problem with some luck. For some reason, most subtitles populated with no issues. The first problem I had was with a movie ripped from a disc. The idx/sub files were in the proper folder, but would not display with the FIre Stick, but showed when manually selected from the drop down menu using VLC on my Mac Mini. Oddly, they did not display when using the Quick key to toggle through the subtitles.

Then, I had a weird issue where in a whole folder of 22 files, every subtitle but one (the tenth file) was available on the Fire Stick menu. I checked and re-checked if the format and file name was right and it matched all the others. But I stumbled on the option via the drop down arrow under subtitle in the lower left of the screen to select subtitles. When I did that, I was able to manually designate the proper subtitle for the episode and it worked. The same method worked for the other set of files that had a faulty built-in subtitle and for the movie. I manually selected the files and they all populated the folder properly. I don't know why it worked this way, but it seems to have been solved.

Sorry for the long explanation and thanks for the help.

Any thoughts on a direct download for VLC for Android 3.5.4?

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”