Trying to install VLC for Android 3.5.4 on a Firestick

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Varjak
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Trying to install VLC for Android 3.5.4 on a Firestick

Postby Varjak » 28 Jul 2024 23:02

I got a new Firestick 4K Max and I want to load VLC for Android onto it. Not VLC for Fire. I managed to load 3.5.4 onto another Firestick 4K a couple of years ago, but now can only find a site for loading 3.3.4 (Firestick Tricks), which I did and it works but it's not quite as well as my other Firestick with 3.5.4. I did find a couple of other sites, but I'm not sure that I can trust them. The best one seems to be APKMirror, but there's another one that might be impersonating an official VideoLan site.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/videolabs ... 4-release/

https://get.videolan.org/vlc-android/3. ... apk.sha256

The last one might not even be the proper version. Googling around, it seems like I need the 'armeabi-V7a' version.

And finally, do I have to delete the previous 3.3.4 version or can I install the 3.5.4 over it? Thanks for any help.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Re: Trying to install VLC for Android 3.5.4 on a Firestick

Postby Aza » 29 Jul 2024 07:27

These are the official versions, maintained by us: https://get.videolan.org/vlc-android/3.5.4/

You can upgrade with it without having to uninstall first.

Varjak
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Varjak » 29 Jul 2024 21:07

Sorry. I had to repost this question above because someone deleted the original, and in so doing I left out something.

I tried the VideoLAN site but it diverts to the Google Play store and for some reason when I put in my email address on the Firestick it blanks out and asks me for it again. I've been having Google/Gmail issues for almost a year because Google forced me to reset my password after I had some work done on my laptop and since then, it tells me I reset my password 'x months ago' and I need to recover my account using a number code sent to my recovery email address. For a while, I needed to do this EVERY DAY on my main computer until I figured out that restoring previously opened windows got around this problem for the most part. But every so often I still need to go through that process. It's maddening and I spent months trying to get help from Google and on the Google and Gmail forums. It actually recently caused me to lose the use of an Android tablet simply because it doesn't have a provision for using the account recovery process. I am going to try again to solve that issue.

I seem to remember that when I downloaded 3.5.4 the first time on my first Firestick, it was a direct download and not through the Google Play store. Is there a way to get a direct download from VideoLAN directly?

Will the APKMirror link work for me?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 30 Jul 2024 01:41

Why do you want to use APKMirror when Aza gave you a link to official builds ?

https://get.videolan.org/vlc-android/3. ... bi-v7a.apk

Varjak
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Varjak » 04 Aug 2024 22:14

As I said right above, I couldn't seem to access the Google Play store, which is where VideoLAN directed me. It won't accept my email address for some reason. I'm trying to get Google to help me, but it's essentially impossible.

I didn't realize Aza's link is a direct download site and I will try and use that. I thought it was the VLC download site that I got going through the VideoLAN Downloads page, which directed me to the Google Play store. Sorry.

It was a while ago, but I didn't recall going through the Google Play store before via VideoLAN. I thought it was a direct download from the VideoLAN site.

Silver Dabbler
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Silver Dabbler » 05 Aug 2024 02:12

I have a 4K Max and I gave up trying to get a side loaded VLC working. Sorry, I can't recall what the difficulty was now but I believe the Fire TV is designed for it not to work.

Amazon has their own version of VLC and I am guessing it is crippled somewhat because it competes with their streaming services. I want TrueHD and Atmos, and on the 4K Max, the Amazon version downmixes it to output only 2 channels from my local media.

I have since upgraded to a Fire TV Cube, and it has the same problem.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”