New version updates status?

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
thricipio
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

New version updates status?

Postby thricipio » 10 Jun 2024 12:35

Is VLC for Android still being developed? Or put another way, are there any new versions being planned for? I ask because as far as I can tell, the latest version is 3.5.4 and it was released almost 16 months ago.
Curiously yours,
⸺Thri

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: And:3.6.0β,Win:2.2.1

Re: New version updates status?

Postby Spike1 » 11 Jun 2024 03:05

In fact, the latest version is 3.6.0 Beta and nightly updates are available. I have reported minor bugs and gotten them corrected in the Nightlies, which I download about once a month. Download the latest at your own risk from this directory or a sibling for your device's architecture.
https://artifacts.videolan.org/vlc-andr ... tly-armv7/

Version 4 is being planned, in the sense that Developers know exactly what will be in it; though I don't know if planning leads to action, nor how soon.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 11 Jun 2024 07:26

For more context on why we have some difficulties updating: https://x.com/videolan/status/1771102415279763909

ZotacAmp
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ZotacAmp » 13 Jun 2024 21:16

For more context on why we have some difficulties updating: https://x.com/videolan/status/1771102415279763909
I appreciate the issue, however can we have a stable version downloadable from VLC (not the nightly build)? You could even have VLC Android check and download updates from your website like the PC version?

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 14 Jun 2024 07:03

You will, once it's tested. We have almost one and an half year of change that have been used by almost no one so we have a beta test round to do before.

ZotacAmp
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ZotacAmp » 14 Jun 2024 16:25

You will, once it's tested. We have almost one and an half year of change that have been used by almost no one so we have a beta test round to do before.
Thanks. Have been using the VLC Android app for years and never had issues apart from the recent SMB issue. Am enrolled as beta tester of it on Google Play (February 2023 build) but only recently discovered the nightly builds, which I am now using. Will keep an eye out for the beta round once it kicks off and provide any feedback.

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Spike1 » 16 Jun 2024 13:23

Hooray, VLC, stick to your guns. Google does not need the keys with which to impersonate you, even if they pinkie-promise never to do so. Forcing people to reinstall or upgrade is absurd. I get new versions via artifacts.videolan.org - where the new nightly says it's 3.6.0 Beta 3 - and do test and report. Google's motto is "Don't be evil" - just continually self-interested and bossy.

thricipio
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby thricipio » 20 Jun 2024 14:32

In fact, the latest version is 3.6.0 Beta and nightly updates are available. I have reported minor bugs and gotten them corrected in the Nightlies, which I download about once a month. Download the latest at your own risk from this directory or a sibling for your device's architecture.
https://artifacts.videolan.org/vlc-andr ... tly-armv7/

Version 4 is being planned, in the sense that Developers know exactly what will be in it; though I don't know if planning leads to action, nor how soon.
Thank you, Spike1. I'm glad to hear work is still being done on VLC for Android. I had been checking APKMirror and just checked again and there's nothing there later than 2023.02.20.

Perhaps, APKMirror is "in bed" with Google since they seem to have drawn the line at that particular update. That whole Google thing seems a bit unsavory, but it's above my pay grade when it comes to understanding the technical details.

BTW, I downloaded both VLC-Android-3.5.4-armv8-20231208-0123 and VLC-Android-3.5.4-armv7-20231208-0116 APK's and finally succeeded at installing the former (armv8). I'm not sure which (if any) of the two is more or less appropriate.

But here's the more significant part: I installed it on my Galaxy Tab S7 and it ended up creating an entirely new instance of the app, replete with a *green* icon; an instance that seemingly had no awareness of the already-installed FEB/2023 release. Also, there were issues with LAN directory access, so I didn't pursue it; just uninstalled it.

Still, I'd like to keep up with the latest *PRE-beta* updates. So, if anyone has any tips on how I can apply these as actual *updates* vs. new instances, that would be great and much appreciated.

Anyway, thanks again for your reply. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but got pulled away on some urgent business.

Best regards,
⸺Thri

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Spike1 » 20 Jun 2024 20:24

Yes, Nightlies have a different build signature from the "released" VLC, and their icon is green. It is effectively a different app. Consequently, they could run concurrently and their settings and playlists are independent.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”