Tried to create one huge album of all my Coldplay songs

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Lorillomar
New Cone
New Cone

Tried to create one huge album of all my Coldplay songs

Postby Lorillomar » 09 Mar 2023 21:22

I've been using MP3s for decades. One of my favorite "tricks" is to create one huge discography of all of a band's music as one huge album, which allows me to start at their first song and play everything they've ever done one after another. You do this by opening the data in Windows for the MP3 and making sure they all have the same artist, the same album name, and everything else except for the track number, which you consecutively start with 1 and renumber all the way up to the last song. That USUALLY convinces a player that the songs are all part of the same album allowing you to have a super best-of.

My VLC for Android doesn't seem to want to do that. It created one long album for about 2/3 of the songs, then it created additional groups called "Disc 1", "Disc 2" that contained some of the other songs.

Am I missing something?

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: And:3.6.0β,Win:2.2.1

Re: Tried to create one huge album of all my Coldplay songs

Postby Spike1 » 10 Mar 2023 01:48

VLC may be acting based on metadata in these MP3 files other than the ID3 records you see on Windows. Another program may let you see it (but I can't point you to one).

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 10 Mar 2023 07:05

My VLC for Android doesn't seem to want to do that.
What do you get?

Lorillomar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Lorillomar » 10 Mar 2023 13:15

Let's see if that image link actually works.

VLC allows nearly all of the songs to be placed in the same Album, but then it creates a "Disc 1" and a "Disc 2" that has some of them inside them instead.

Skantes
Developer
Developer

Postby Skantes » 10 Mar 2023 13:45

This is a metadata issue with your files. Check to see if you have "Disc Number" or "Part/Position" metas set to 1 or 2. VLC does get the information, and vlc-android's UI does display it.

Skantes
Developer
Developer

Postby Skantes » 10 Mar 2023 13:48

Also, this will affect all the app, but you can disable headers in More -> Settings -> Interface -> "Show headers". It will remove all section headers, whether they are letter in your audio lists, or disc numbers.

Lorillomar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Lorillomar » 26 Mar 2023 18:27

Went back to try and fix the problem again.

The first song that shows up as being "Disc 1" is track 60: "Always In My Head". I right-clicked the file on my phone, selected Properties, then Details (which should list the metadata). There's no "Disc Number" or "Part/Position" entry shown. Is there some other way I should be checking the metadata?

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: And:3.6.0β,Win:2.2.1

Postby Spike1 » 26 Mar 2023 18:52

The ID3 component of MP3 has evolved over the years. My Winamp PC shows only ID3v1 and ID3v2. I think VLC, in Tracks > ... > Information, should show all the fields it uses to sort tracks. (And for extra credit, let you edit them.)

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”