$ Looking to pay Android-Developer for feature (equalizer) €

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Bernd_Schmitt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

$ Looking to pay Android-Developer for feature (equalizer) €

Postby Bernd_Schmitt » 31 Jan 2023 22:40

Hello,
I am looking forward to pay an android-developer for a feature that I badly miss in VLC (for android).
Is this the right place to search for developers / make offers?
So, if any student / hobby-coder / ... / likes to earn some hundreds [$,€, ...] while creating some footprint in a famous FOSS project, reply here or write me a private forum-message.

It is about the equalizer: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... er#p534645
Either the equalizer should be extended, or an additional equalizer-plugin created.
The code should be submitted and accepted (pull request) so that it is not a one-version-wonder and available for everyone (neighbors, too ,)

The equalizer (new/extended) should provide
* separate settings for left and right channel
* additional frequency bands below 32Hz (e.g. 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28),
(or even better variable frequency bands)
* low-pass and high-pass filters

No special GUI needed, input in number/text form is ok, i need ear-candy, not eye-candy.

What would be a first approximation of costs (prototype)?
(Maybe others would like to join in to sponsor this feature?)

Thanks
Bernd

PS: Please do only respond constructively. I am searching for a developer. If you doubt, that people can sense frequencies below 20Hz or that there are devices capable to produce them, search for "infrasonic active subwoofers" eg: https://www.aia-cinema.com/de/produkte/subwoofers.html (scroll down a bit). even good normal active-subwoofers can do 16Hz (magnat) or 18Hz (eg klipsch SP150)
Last edited by Bernd_Schmitt on 01 Feb 2023 15:12, edited 7 times in total.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Looking to pay Android-Developer for feature (equalizer)

Postby Lotesdelere » 01 Feb 2023 11:11

Seriously, why and what for ?
Human ear can't hear anything below 20 Hz and above 20 kHz.
Frequencies below and above these limits are only used in the scientific field. This is the reason why I'm quite sure your Android device has a 20Hz-20kHz bandwidth, at best. Same goes for your speakers and headphones.
So there is no point in fine tuning these frequencies you can't hear and your hardware can't handle.

Bernd_Schmitt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Bernd_Schmitt » 01 Feb 2023 11:47

Seriously, why and what for ?
Human ear can't hear anything below 20 Hz and above 20 kHz.
Frequencies below and above these limits are only used in the scientific field. This is the reason why I'm quite sure your Android device has a 20Hz-20kHz bandwith, at best. Same goes for your speakers and headphones.
So there is no point in fine tuning these frequencies you can't hear and your hardware can't handle.
I am looking for a developer.
I do not want to discuss the feature itself.
I can sense the difference in sound-spectrum in this region. I do not care, whether you believe me or not.
I connect my android devices to hardware that can produce frequencies well below 20Hz (even 10Hz).

I am looking for someone who implements things.
I am not interested in discussions, what other people can hear or sense or what kind of hardware they know about.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 01 Feb 2023 13:52

Think about it again. No one will waste time developing something which is both useless and not supported by any regular device.

I connect my android devices to hardware that can produce frequencies well below 20Hz (even 10Hz).

Please tell me which device model it is. Out of curiosity I want to know which device is using any frequency outside the standard 20Hz-20kHz.

Bernd_Schmitt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Bernd_Schmitt » 01 Feb 2023 14:19

Think about it again. No one will waste time developing something which is both useless and not supported by any regular device.

Please tell me which device model it is. Out of curiosity I want to know which device is using any frequency outside the standard 20Hz-20kHz.
I have a cinema-audio system which is capable of 10Hz (ascendo), another subwoofer with 16Hz (magnat) and another one which can do 18Hz(klipsch) (inofficial he can do 13Hz up to 88+dB).

It would be wonderful If you could stop distructing my search for a developer with your senseless and wrong information (opinion).

It would would also be wonderful, if you would start questioning your knowledge limits, /before/ pretending to know "what the human ear can hear" or "what audio-devices can do". Do a search on "infrasonic active subwoofers" (e.g. https://www.aia-cinema.com/de/produkte/subwoofers.html scroll down)

"Think about it again." "Seriously"

BTW: it would be very wonderful, if you delete your posts in this thread as they are not helpful at all. after you have done so, I will delete my replies as well, so that the thread is clean again. I added the information about infrasonic-active-subwoofers in the original post, so that these questions hopefully do not come up again.

Thank you

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: $ Looking to pay Android-Developer for feature (equalizer) €

Postby Lotesdelere » 01 Feb 2023 15:24

The problem is not what is your amp and speakers capable of, the problem is the source.
Again, tell me which Android device model can handle frequencies below 20 Hz. Please, tell me. I really want to know if such device exists.
Also, what is your source which has frequencies below 20 Hz ? If it's a disc, please give me the EAN-13 / UPC codes of this disc.
Not to mention I'm not even sure that VLC or the libraries used by VLC can handle anything below 20 Hz.

BTW, this is a forum. It's meant for discussions so no, I'm not going to delete any posts.

Bernd_Schmitt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Bernd_Schmitt » 01 Feb 2023 15:40

The problem is not what is your amp and speakers capable of, the problem is the source.
Again, tell me which Android device model can handle frequencies below 20 Hz. Please, tell me. I really want to know if such device exists.
Also, what is your source which has frequencies below 20 Hz ? If it's a disc, please give me the EAN-13 / UPC codes of this disc.
Not to mention I'm not even sure that VLC or the libraries used by VLC can handle anything below 20 Hz.

BTW, this is a forum. It's meant for discussions so no, I'm not going to delete any posts.
"the problem is":
* You are not discussing, you are trolling and wasting my time and you disrupt my search for developer.
* You do not read my posts carefully "connect to my android".
* You admit that you do not know things "I'm not even sure", but you talk about it?

I do have the audio-devices, I do listen to the music/sounds and I would love to use vlc on android tweaking them.

I am looking for solutions and not for people with a strong need to talk about things they are not sure about.
If a developer tells me, that libvlc can not handle frequencies below 20Hz in technical terms, I will believe it (there are subwoofer test-audio-tracks I played with vlc on android after downloading them (google on your own)). The android device can produce frequencies below 20Hz for headphones via sound-generator-app (sinus) (search f-droid on your own).

I will gain nothing, if I spend time on proving that my android device can send 10hz, that my sounds contain frequencies below 20Hz, because if you already lacked knowledge about these basic things, how can anything from you in this topic be helpful?
Therefore I will ignore all further postings from you in this thread. I would have put you on my foes list, but that is obviously not possible.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 01 Feb 2023 17:20

if I spend time on proving that my android device can send 10hz

I just want to know which Android device is capable of that. I'm not asking for evidences but for a brand and a model name, e.g. Samsung A53.
It doesn't take time to write it down. I want to try this device because I didn't know an Android device could do such thing.

Same goes for the source. I'm interested about a source, apart from a sound generator, which contains frequencies below 20 Hz.

I'm not trolling, I'm always ready for learning new things.
And I want to try them by myself.

Bernd_Schmitt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Bernd_Schmitt » 01 Feb 2023 17:46

if I spend time on proving that my android device can send 10hz

I just want to know which Android device is capable of that. I'm not asking for evidences but for a brand and a model name, e.g. Samsung A53.
It doesn't take time to write it down. I want to try this device because I didn't know an Android device could do such thing.

Same goes for the source. I'm interested about a source, apart from a sound generator, which contains frequencies below 20 Hz.

I'm not trolling, I'm always ready for learning new things.
And I want to try them by myself.
android devices: Samsung Galaxy tablet bluetooth and RedMi9 jack output (model should not matter as SoC and all current sound processors are capable of such)
bass test 2kHz down: (start at 01:20) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8gjsefNYpE
play in new-pipe (f-droid)
download video play it with vlc - no difference (test downto 13Hz)
download as m4a play it with vlc - no difference (test downto 13Hz)
comparing to sound-generator-app from f-droid (test down to 13Hz)
qualitatively testing with audio-spectrum-analyzer + external microphone and "resonating things"

no surprise here: vlc can process it, android smartphone can send it, my connected audio-devices can play it.

can I eventually go on now to search and pay someone to implement an extended equalizer plugin?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 01 Feb 2023 22:05

bass test 2kHz down: (start at 01:20) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8gjsefNYpE

You can't trust Youtube videos because they reencode every file, audio and video. And they apply a high-pass filter at 10 Hz to avoid DC offset. We can clearly see the cutoff:

Bernd_Schmitt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Bernd_Schmitt » 01 Feb 2023 23:20

You can't trust Youtube videos because they reencode every file, audio and video. And they apply a high-pass filter at 10 Hz to avoid DC offset. We can clearly see the cutoff:
Are you kidding me? What is the point in your posting? This is not trolling?
* I was talking about 8, 12,16,20,24,28,32Hz freq bands for the equalizer
- you falsely argued that no android-device can use them, no headphone or speaker can play them, that there is no audio-source at all and you are "not sure" if vlc can handle frequencies <20Hz - trolling with false information
- You asked for android-device, audio-file and testing
* I named you android-devices, audio-source, audio-hardware and minimal testing for vlc processing sounds down to 13Hz
- now you "respond" that YT has a build-in filter at 10Hz, whereas your graph does not support this, because one can see enough intensity at 7Hz (comparable to 40Hz) - i surely did not give you dj-sets - i gave you public available material for which i claimed effects down to 13Hz. you trolled arguing besides the point

You are proven wrong in all aspects. There is nothing left.
Your only valid response could have been: "Thanks for the info, I did not know that."
If you were trying to be helpful, you could have added: "Now let's see, where we can find some coders for you"

But instead of this, you trolled again, trying to have a last meaningless word. None of your postings in this thread is right in any regard. It is a shame, that I can not put you into my foes list. You clearly fulfill every aspect of being a troll:
- arguing/doubting with wrong information (e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g was wrong)
- asking for disproving (time wasting of other people)
- arguing besides the point, meaningless for the original point everytime (false refusing)
- not admitting to be wrong
It is a shame, that you as a moderator act in this way and that I can not put you on my foes list.
Nonetheless I reported your postings and I hope that other moderators see what you are doing.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 02 Feb 2023 00:36

I show you a sweep from 1 Hz to 1000 Hz I've just made.

Notice how the slope is constant all along the file, especially below 10 Hz:

Now, I apply a high-pass filter to this sweep with a rolloff of 12 dB per octave at 10 Hz cutoff frequency, which is commonly used to remove DC offset. And oh, surprise, this is what we get:

The latter pic looks like what we got from your so called reference file from Youtube. Similar curve below ~12 Hz.
Because Youtube is not a trusty source, they reencode all of the files being sent to them and they apply filters.

This is not because you always repeat the same things that they become true. You haven't proven your cheap RedMi 9 can handle and output real music, and not rumble, below 20 Hz, you just claimed it. I didn't say there is no audio source, I asked you to give one and you haven't yet. This 'thing' from Youtube is surely not a reference as shown above.

android devices: Samsung Galaxy tablet bluetooth
Lol, bluetooth! Enough said.

Now, please, calm down and stop sending reports.

Bernd_Schmitt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Bernd_Schmitt » 02 Feb 2023 00:51

you are still trolling

it would be wonderful if you were putting way more effort in trying to understand what other people write.
it would be wonderful if you think at least 5 times longer before you write an "answer".

redmi9 jack output. do you get the words here?
i do not listen music via smartphone speakers, if you ever considered this, you disqualify completely. I said connected
the claim for the YT source was for 13Hz. your original doubts were for below 20Hz. can you handle numbers?

please re-read your own postings, think about what you are doing.
you are wrong in any significant aspect (android-device, audio-device, audio-source, vlc).
I will not write, what I really think about you and your postings, so that you can use your moderator power to ban me.

I will try harder to ignore any posting from you in this thread.
I only can hope that other readers do not put any weight in your words.

nothing you say is relevant to my original posting. stop posting here.

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: And:3.6.0β,Win:2.2.1

Postby Spike1 » 02 Feb 2023 04:08

Schmitt, get lost. Your thread started as an advert, you escalated the drama when VOLUNTEER Admins didn't study your posts carefully enough to suit you, and it's now the trolling you accuse everyone else of. The code is open and engineers can be hired for your secret project to extend VLC outside the human aural range. The rest of us have more relevant queries.

Bernd_Schmitt
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Bernd_Schmitt » 02 Feb 2023 05:25

Schmitt, get lost. Your thread started as an advert, you escalated the drama when VOLUNTEER Admins didn't study your posts carefully enough to suit you, and it's now the trolling you accuse everyone else of. The code is open and engineers can be hired for your secret project to extend VLC outside the human aural range. The rest of us have more relevant queries.
Lotesdelere did not study my post enough, he posted false information and put doubts without evidence. He could just know, what he does not know and be quiet, at least after my fourth answer.

I only accuse only one person of trolling: Lotesdelere. Before that I tried hard to give him all the information he was asking for.

I asked him to stop posting into this thread multiple times, because his postings are not helpful and now this thread is a mess.

If you have more relevant queries / you are not interested in the topic, why on earth do you read my posts and insinuate things I did not do?
I am not asking for your opinion about the idea itself. I am searching for people who would like to earn some money for coding on a FOSS project. If I do not find someone I can pay for the idea here, I will just try elsewhere. I thought this forum would be the best place to start to search for someone, who might be familiar with libvlc/vlc code base. This might be a false assumption, because the first two people responding seem to be not out of the adressed audience.

BTW I do not want to be impolite, but surely "Schmitt, get lost." qualifies you as first entry of my foes list.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 02 Feb 2023 07:37

Please folks, stay polite and avoid flamewars on these kind of topics. Now that everybody has made their point, let's stop the argument and invectives and let the post follow its way. I don't want to have to lock it down and warn some users.

About the initial request, I'll give my answer from a dev perspective. Even if we ignore all the physiological / technical capacities about those high/low frequencies, such a feature won't be useful for even a small amount of the users. That's why we won't prioritize it at all.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”