No global settings for audio delay and subtitles

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
linuxlad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

No global settings for audio delay and subtitles

Postby linuxlad » 17 Dec 2020 11:03

First of all, many thanks to those that fixed the issue with the registration server that was preventing new members from signing up on this forum, much appreciated.

I installed vlc 3.3.2 for the first time yesterday on a newly setup firestick 4k and I'm impressed with the features and playback quality.

However, there are a couple of issues that I'm having trouble finding a workaround solution for:
The first issue is that all my local video files have a 300ms audio delay which I found through some research that several others have also had these same particular issues with their local files so it is not specific to my setup or files: (https://www.vlchelp.com/android-app-syn ... ust-delay/).

When playing any video files locally from the LAN, there is a slight audio delay which is adjustable via the setting while the video is playing, however, this is on a per-video basis only and since vlc plays all video files from the local area network with the audio delay of 300ms, I actually need to set it globally so it is set for all or any video files that I play from the local area network by default, otherwise, I'm having to manually do it for every individual file (not good when watching a folder with more than 100 files).

I’m also trying to find a global setting for the subtitles as well since I watch everything with subtitles "on" by default, however, just like the audio delay has no global setting, the subtitles must also be manually enabled for every individual video file that is played as this is also inconvenient like the audio delay setting. BTW, the "auto load subtitles" has no effect on this, I think that may only apply to external subtitles, all my files have the subtitles inside the mkv containers.

On that link I provided above, there was a user, Gary, that mentioned back on June 2nd of 2019 that after he "set the audio delay and tapped the screen to remove the + – symbols that a quick message popped up at the bottom of the display to save settings and it seems that it is now a default audio delay for all files."

I responded to his message asking him what exact version of vlc was this working on for him, however, his message is old and I doubt he will reply anytime soon.
I'm thinking that this global feature may have been possible at one time but is no longer available in the newer version(s), perhaps someone here can verify and confirm it.

linuxlad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: No global settings for audio delay and subtitles

Postby linuxlad » 18 Dec 2020 08:25

lol...it looks like I need to upgrade to 3.3.3

* Global audio delay for videos :)
* Remove a single media from history
* Addition of an option to browse the folder of a media
* Fix favorites for UPNP servers
* Fix audio thumbnails detection
* Fix DVD menu
* TV : improve DPAD input in video player
* Improve descriptions for Android Auto and streams
* Fix default orientation for videos
* A lot of UI fixes
* Crash fixes

linuxlad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby linuxlad » 20 Dec 2020 07:00

Amazon is still on 3.3.2, they do not yet have 3.3.3.

I have not found any method for a simple update/upgrade of vlc, it appears that I will need to uninstall 3.3.2 and then find and install the 3.3.3 apk via the downloader app or something similar.

linuxlad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby linuxlad » 22 Dec 2020 02:38

Any ETA on the amazon release of 3.3.3?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 22 Dec 2020 10:05

linuxlad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby linuxlad » 02 Jan 2021 03:14

The only way that the global audio delay works in 3.3.3 is by stopping and exiting playmode and then restarting the video (this must me done with each and every video file), otherwise the global audio delay setting will not take effect, so basically, no different than manually setting the delay for each individual video file...back to square one.

Please fix the -300 ms audio delay issue or the audio delay global setting to apply to all videos without having to exit the player first. (btw, I even tried "quit and restart application" with same results)

Does anyone know which previous/older version of vlc was able to play video files without the audio sync issues, or has this always been a problem from the beginning?
I don't care how old it is, I prefer the audio to be in sync than having to manually set it for each and every file. I prefer not to download and install every single version of vlc to find out which one actually works properly.
========================================================
Edit Update:
I have tried all the following versions and they were all out of sync with no options to "apply to all" videos.

3.2.7-1
3.2.7-1

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 04 Jan 2021 08:50

The only way that the global audio delay works in 3.3.3 is by stopping and exiting playmode and then restarting the video (this must me done with each and every video file), otherwise the global audio delay setting will not take effect, so basically, no different than manually setting the delay for each individual video file...back to square one.
Weird. I will take a look.

linuxlad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby linuxlad » 05 Jan 2021 01:58

After some research and testing with other software-based media players, I have learned that the amazon fire devices including the cubes are the most susceptible android based devices with this flaw; hopefully, a new firmware update for the firesticks will fix this annoying -300ms audio flaw and there will be no need to set any audio delays.

For anyone that reads this and you have a non-amazon android device with an audio delay for all your local video files, please post your model here. Thanks.

linuxlad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby linuxlad » 21 Jan 2021 04:10

Have you had a chance to look into this yet?

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 21 Jan 2021 07:42

I have not been able to reproduce.

linuxlad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby linuxlad » 21 Jan 2021 08:18

I have not been able to reproduce.
I have two firesticks in which this is the case for both. Follow these steps and should you be able to reproduce it.

First, reset the global audio setting, then apply the global settings for a file (for example; at -300ms), then go and play a different file (it must be a file that you have not already played using the newly set -300ms global setting), pause it and check the audio delay setting and you will see that the setting will be at "0" and the audio is out-of-sync, then exit play mode, resume that very same file, then check the audio delay again and you will see that the delay is now effectively set to the global setting of -300ms that you originally set for the other file. It does this for every file whether it is an mp4 or mkv that has not been played previously using the global setting. Basically, the global setting will only apply if you play the file, then exit playback, and then resume it.

I have been using Nova Video player that has a global audio-sync setting that applies to every file without having to exit playback every time it plays a video file. When I switch from one file to the other, I can see that the audio is in perfect sync and when I pause it to check the audio delay setting, it is always set at the global -300ms, whereas VLC does not, unless I exit playback first and then resume playback of the video file.

SixteenThirty
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SixteenThirty » 18 Aug 2022 02:22

Sorry to jump in on this old post but were you able to figure this out?

I’m having to set the audio delay on every single video I watch, each time I watch it on the Fire Stick.
The apply to all videos butting does nothing.

Is there still no way to set audio delay globally?

Thanks.

linuxlad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby linuxlad » 18 Aug 2022 06:32

No, because I have not used it since; until a couple of days ago when I decided to test the latest stable version 3.5.0 to see what improvements/features have been made and/or added since version 3.3.3. BTW, they also have a nightly 3.5.1.

After further testing with 264/265, mp4/mkv videos, I noticed that the -200ms audio sync issue is still there and after applying the -200ms for the first video with the "apply to all videos", it is set back to "0 ms" when it loads the following video with the audio out of sync, which means that the "apply to all videos" global setting does not work.

Similar issue where the global auto-load subtitles automatically for all videos does not work properly since it must be done manually for every video.

I'm not sure why the developer could not reproduce the issue when all he had to do is set the first video in a folder to any audio delay setting other than "0 ms", apply it globally to all videos, let it auto-load or manually play the next video and then check the audio delay setting for that video where it will show the audio setting is "0 ms".

I will check/test again with version 4.0.

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gracus36 » 18 Aug 2022 13:58

No, because I have not used it since; until a couple of days ago when I decided to test the latest stable version 3.5.0 to see what improvements/features have been made and/or added since version 3.3.3. BTW, they also have a nightly 3.5.1.

After further testing with 264/265, mp4/mkv videos, I noticed that the -200ms audio sync issue is still there and after applying the -200ms for the first video with the "apply to all videos", it is set back to "0 ms" when it loads the following video with the audio out of sync, which means that the "apply to all videos" global setting does not work.

Similar issue where the global auto-load subtitles automatically for all videos does not work properly since it must be done manually for every video.

I'm not sure why the developer could not reproduce the issue when all he had to do is set the first video in a folder to any audio delay setting other than "0 ms", apply it globally to all videos, let it auto-load or manually play the next video and then check the audio delay setting for that video where it will show the audio setting is "0 ms".

I will check/test again with version 4.0.
It works good for me
Audio delay is applyed for all videos

Just to be sure : go to settings -> video and make sure the first setting is disable.
Then retry to set audio delay for all video.

linuxlad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby linuxlad » 19 Aug 2022 01:20

I had already tried/tested that; unfortunately, that does not work either.

The global "apply to all videos" does not take effect weather that first general setting of "Save audio delay" (Save individual audio delay for each video) is enabled or disabled; and yes, I have restarted vlc and device, tested on two firestick-4k with same results.

Perhaps this is only an issue with fire devices.

BTW, did you check the audio-sync settings in video files that had not previously been played or changed?
When the audio-sync is changed/set for an individual video regardless of whether the "apply to all videos" is set or not, it will always remember it but only for that particular video or video(s).

Have you tried playing a video in that same or different folder that the audio-sync delay had never been changed?
Bottom line is that changing the audio-sync setting is only remembered for each individual video only, but it will never apply them to all/other videos where the audio sync setting had never been changed/applied.

I have tested other video players where the global audio setting takes effect for all videos as well as globally enabling auto-loading subtitles for "all videos".

I was hoping that both of these issues were addressed in 3.5. I will test again when 4.0 is released.

SixteenThirty
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SixteenThirty » 19 Aug 2022 02:07

I had already tried/tested that; unfortunately, that does not work either.

The global "apply to all videos" does not take effect weather that first general setting of "Save audio delay" (Save individual audio delay for each video) is enabled or disabled; and yes, I have restarted vlc and device, tested on two firestick-4k with same results.

Perhaps this is only an issue with fire devices.

BTW, did you check the audio-sync settings in video files that had not previously been played or changed?
When the audio-sync is changed/set for an individual video regardless of whether the "apply to all videos" is set or not, it will always remember it but only for that particular video or video(s).

Have you tried playing a video in that same or different folder that the audio-sync delay had never been changed?
Bottom line is that changing the audio-sync setting is only remembered for each individual video only, but it will never apply them to all/other videos where the audio sync setting had never been changed/applied.

I have tested other video players where the global audio setting takes effect for all videos as well as globally enabling auto-loading subtitles for "all videos".

I was hoping that both of these issues were addressed in 3.5. I will test again when 4.0 is released.
Exactly the same for me. It doesn’t matter what I so the audio delay is never saved for future videos.

BUT… I have noticed that when I play the next video (after setting the audio delay on the previous video) the audio is out but if I quit the video and press play again, it’s corrected and the audio is once again delayed to my -200ms setting which I need.

There’s obviously a glitch somewhere in the code.

As the global save does work but only if you quit the video and start watching again.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 29 Aug 2022 08:56

I found what the issue is when trying to debug another post here. I created an issue here: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc- ... ssues/2669

SixteenThirty
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SixteenThirty » 31 Aug 2022 03:25

I found what the issue is when trying to debug another post here. I created an issue here: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc- ... ssues/2669

Excellent, thanks Aza. Much appreciated.

Did you notice that the delay IS present if you close the video and then unmediated open it again?

Is this something we can expect a fox for?

Thanks again for your help and time.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 31 Aug 2022 07:03

Did you notice that the delay IS present if you close the video and then unmediated open it again?
Yes
Yes

SixteenThirty
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SixteenThirty » 02 Sep 2022 02:12

Yes
Yes

Excellent. Thank you.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”