VLC on Android TV stopped working properly today

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
teaowl
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC on Android TV stopped working properly today

Postby teaowl » 26 Jul 2022 22:04

Hi, so I watch videos on Sony Android TV using VLC, videos are from my PC and I am using Universal Media Server. All videos are mkv with built-in subtitles, because VLC cannot recognize external subs for me for some reason. Worked fine for years until today. Now it's all weird - firstly it doesn't see any videos in my folders, then after a few ins and outs it does but plays them all wrong. It doesn't let me choose the subs track, it says that there are no subs but it plays them automatically anyway. It doesn't show the length of the videofile, it's always 0.0 and the countdown is reverse, and it doesn't let me fast forward or rewind. Also, my PC seems really hard working while playing the video on TV, like the transcoding demands all its resources, also not a typical behavior.
Again, it all started today, multiple PC and TV reboots don't do anything. Tried also reinstall the VLC, didn't help either. Very frustrated, please help!

Aza
Developer
Developer

Re: VLC on Android TV stopped working properly today

Postby Aza » 27 Jul 2022 06:45

What is your VLC for Android version?

teaowl
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby teaowl » 27 Jul 2022 06:57

3.5.0, it updated right the day before so I assumed it must be the problem. No other recent changes.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 27 Jul 2022 09:52

Could you please share some logs? Reproduce the issue and then go to: Settings > Advanced > Debug logs. Then share the logs with the sharing service you prefer (Google Drive, Dropbox, pastebin...).

Kurg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kurg » 27 Jul 2022 16:30

I have a similar problem on my tablet Xiaomi mi pad 5 with the new version 3.5.0.
The tablet stopped correctly seeing files shared on the network. In some cases, he starts to see them again, but this is rare and not all files. At the same time, he can see the folder structure well, but writes that they are empty.
My phone and TV have an older version of 3.4.4 and there is no such problem.

Kurg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kurg » 27 Jul 2022 16:49

Here is the log from my tablet Xiaomi mi pad 5
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rvez4E ... sguN_XFmgs

teaowl
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby teaowl » 27 Jul 2022 17:20

Kurg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kurg » 27 Jul 2022 22:30

Installing an older version helped me solve the problem.
I found version 3.4.4 on the Internet and put it on the tablet.

teaowl
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby teaowl » 28 Jul 2022 07:44

I guess I should do the same, I just have to somehow figure out if I can install apps on my TV that are not from Google Play, and how to prevent this older version from updating. I am not a techie person at all, I just want to watch movies.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 28 Jul 2022 10:14

I just have to somehow figure out if I can install apps on my TV that are not from Google Play, and how to prevent this older version from updating.

Uninstall your current version.
Download and install the APK file from here:
https://get.videolan.org/vlc-android/3.4.4/
Try with the Arm64-v8a first, if it doesn't install then install the Armeabi-v7a one.
Since it has been manually installed it will not auto update.

teaowl
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby teaowl » 28 Jul 2022 11:17

I just have to somehow figure out if I can install apps on my TV that are not from Google Play, and how to prevent this older version from updating.

Uninstall your current version.
Download and install the APK file from here:
https://get.videolan.org/vlc-android/3.4.4/
Try with the Arm64-v8a first, if it doesn't install then install the Armeabi-v7a one.
Since it has been manually installed it will not auto update.
Thank you! Really good to know it will not auto update.

teaowl
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby teaowl » 28 Jul 2022 12:34

So I managed to install the Armeabi-v7a version and everything is working fine again. Thank you, what a relief.

odlaw
New Cone
New Cone

Postby odlaw » 28 Jul 2022 15:40

same for me on Android phone (android 11, VLC 3.5.0)

No longer lists videos or music via the upnp browser. Can play some that are already in history and have confirmed that DLNA server is working correctly using a linux laptop client (where vlc v3.0.16 is working fine).

Another problem appears to be that I can't authenticate to my SMB share. Again, confirmed working correctly from a Linux file browser with same username/password combination.

slyphnier
New Cone
New Cone

Postby slyphnier » 29 Jul 2022 10:43

joining for reporting the similar issue with VLC 3.5.0

tested device with android 9 (arm64-v8a) and android 5.1 (armeabi-v7a) DLNA to NAS (synology-intel)

folder randomly marked as empty, "refresh/rescan folder" not working
sometimes restarting show up those folder content, but folder with certain amount of files(more than 100 with subfolders) or probably long filenames (*i am not really sure) will be marked as empty

rollback to 3.4.4 everything scanned+listed just fine
hope dev. can hotfix this issue asap

tguillem
Developer
Developer
VLC version: ALL
Operating System: Linux/WIndows/Mac OS

Postby tguillem » 29 Jul 2022 11:09

Hello, thanks all for the bug report,

I created an issue, that you can track here: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues/27173

teaowl
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby teaowl » 29 Jul 2022 18:52

Well, my joy was short lived. My manually installed 3.4.4 version updated automatically to 3.5.0, so now I have to roll back again. My everyday routine from now on I suppose.

mikeprocess
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mikeprocess » 29 Jul 2022 19:02

Just to let you know I had the same VLC problem on my 2 Android TV (chromecast) devices. I installed Armeabi-v7a version (the v8a version wouldn't install) and everything is back to normal. Originally I spent HOURS trying to trouble shoot problem. Thinking the problem was on my end. I uninstalled and reinstalled VLV several times, rebooted the Google TV device several times, rebooted my Synology server. Eventually I had the idea that if something is wrong for me, it might be broken for someone else....which is why I ended up checking out this forum. The experience is very disappointing. My back up video player is: Nova. I think I'll promote it as my main video player and demote VLC.

Update:
Teaowl wrote;
> "Since it has been manually installed it will not auto update."

It did auto update on my two Google TV (chromecast dongles) You need to to disable auto updates in the settings on the dongle.
Last edited by mikeprocess on 30 Jul 2022 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

Kurg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kurg » 30 Jul 2022 11:50

Well, my joy was short lived. My manually installed 3.4.4 version updated automatically to 3.5.0, so now I have to roll back again. My everyday routine from now on I suppose.
The same thing, every time you turn off the TV it automatically updates to version 3.5, you have to delete it and install 3.4.4
I hope that problems with version 3.5 can be quickly resolved.

teaowl
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby teaowl » 23 Sep 2022 10:29

Installed v 3.5.2 from the Play Store, no fix for me, my problem remains exactly the same. Doesn't see subs, doesn't show the time remaining, cannot rewind or fast forward. Returned to v 3.4.4 again.

Stratosferic
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Stratosferic » 24 Sep 2022 00:17

Hi teaowl,
I also experiment a problem with VLC 3.5.2 for Android TV on my Sony smart TV.
For years, I have been watching videos located on the hard disk of a video server (Freebox Revolution) with the upnp protocol. Worked great.
Today, impossible to access the hard disk. Error message says there is nothing on the disk (which is not true: Works with Nova).
Is there a fix for VLC?
Thanks

Alaric
Developer
Developer

Postby Alaric » 26 Sep 2022 12:07

Installed v 3.5.2 from the Play Store, no fix for me, my problem remains exactly the same. Doesn't see subs, doesn't show the time remaining, cannot rewind or fast forward. Returned to v 3.4.4 again.
Looks like your discover failures are now fixed at least!
I'll try to reproduce your subtitle and seeking issues...
Hi teaowl,
For years, I have been watching videos located on the hard disk of a video server (Freebox Revolution) with the upnp protocol. Worked great.
Today, impossible to access the hard disk. Error message says there is nothing on the disk (which is not true: Works with Nova).
Is there a fix for VLC?
Thanks
Sorry for the inconvenience, could you share some logs so we can locate the problem? Reproduce the issue and then go to: Settings > Advanced > Debug logs and share the dumped log file.

teaowl
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby teaowl » 26 Sep 2022 15:20

My main problem is with subs actually as I depend on them.
It's like it sees any file with embedded subs as corrupt. No problem with files without subs, but considering most of the HD go with multiple subs these days, they create a problem even when I don't need them.

Stratosferic
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Stratosferic » 26 Sep 2022 23:05

Looks like your discover failures are now fixed at least!
I'll try to reproduce your subtitle and seeking issues...
Hi teaowl,
Is there a fix for VLC?
Thanks
Sorry for the inconvenience, could you share some logs so we can locate the problem? Reproduce the issue and then go to: Settings > Advanced > Debug logs and share the dumped log file.

I am sorry Alaric, I am afraid I can't do that on Android TV

Alaric
Developer
Developer

Postby Alaric » 28 Sep 2022 09:53

My main problem is with subs actually as I depend on them.
It's like it sees any file with embedded subs as corrupt. No problem with files without subs, but considering most of the HD go with multiple subs these days, they create a problem even when I don't need them.
Thanks, I'll try to reproduce.
I am sorry Alaric, I am afraid I can't do that on Android TV
Your issue might be related to https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc- ... ssues/2694
Sorry for the inconvenience it will be fixed in the next minor release soon!

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”