audio boost toggle switch missing on Android vlc 3.5.0 RC 3

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Antonymuchuimwiti
New Cone
New Cone

audio boost toggle switch missing on Android vlc 3.5.0 RC 3

Postby Antonymuchuimwiti » 24 Jul 2022 21:46

found some volume issues before the update, the problem was that if I pressed physical volume up button, beyond the 100% (with no audio boost or with boost up to 156%) it would reset to 0% and the cycle reapeats after that I decided to reset the app after update without change. After resetting, I went ahead to my preferred settings and that when I noticed audio boost toggle switch was missing. running on oppo a54 android 11 coloros 11.1.1

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: audio boost toggle switch missing on Android vlc 3.5.0 RC 3

Postby Gracus36 » 24 Jul 2022 22:44

Hello.

Still there but it has been moved.

You need to start a video and go to the the player option (3dots at the bottom of the player and go to player control)

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 25 Jul 2022 10:40

I think it's a bad habit to always move options in the interface, plus I believe global options like this one (and equalizer, etc) should logically all be placed in the global preferences and not in some sub menu.

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: And:3.6.0β,Win:2.2.1

Postby Spike1 » 25 Jul 2022 12:15

I concur, both that it's an annoyance when, in a new version, options are moved, and also that their placement still isn't optimal. Audio options are found in several different pages in More > Settings; there are two separate three-dots buttons in the play queue; and it's odd to have preferences only accessible by playing a video.

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gracus36 » 25 Jul 2022 12:20

And it's odd to have preferences only accessible by playing a video.
Agree with this one.

Should be better to have this option in both video AND audio players.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 25 Jul 2022 13:57

I think it's a bad habit to always move options in the interface
I don't think so. And it's worse to have bazillions of settings in the app settings. It makes it impossible to find what's you're looking for.
plus I believe global options like this one (and equalizer, etc) should logically all be placed in the global preferences and not in some sub menu.
Audio boost is not global. It only applies to videos. Not sure why you're mentioning the equalizer here.

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gracus36 » 25 Jul 2022 15:19

Audio boost is not global. It only applies to videos. Not sure why you're mentioning the equalizer here.
It's normal to place option that work only on video or audio in the player sub menu but equalizer seems to be a global options as you can find it in both video player AND audio player sub menus.

So a global setting may be better placed in vlc settings

I think that is what lotesdelere want to say...

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 27 Jul 2022 06:43

So if you want to use the equalizer for a video, you have to close it, go to the global settings, change its values without any sound playing, come back to your video and hope you did your changes well?

The equalizer is not a setting per se, it's an audio filter that can only be used while a playback is ongoing.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 27 Jul 2022 11:01

Technically speaking, there is no reason for changing the equalization for each file you play. You are not changing headphones on each file you play, aren't you ? Are you really changing the EQ for each file ? Digital audio has changed the game compared to tapes and vinyl records. Nowadays the main problem is different volume levels between files and not equalization anymore.
I see several messages from people asking where are some options because they don't find them where they think they logically should be. I know, you are sensitive about the word 'logical' :D :P :wink:

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”