Media loads up in wrong order

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
YodaTheWeeb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Media loads up in wrong order

Postby YodaTheWeeb » 23 Jun 2022 23:06

So currently before when you'd open a folder it would display everything in alphabetical order, with numbers in descending order from 1 to let's say 20, in exact descending order

Today, 6/23/22, I've run into an issue that disrupts this

I opened my media folder on VLC media player and the files went in opposite alphabetical order (z-a)

Then on another file I opened, the files were shuffled, with the descending order of numbered files now showing something like this: 9,1,5,3,6,7,2,4

Something has caused the filing software to shuffle and go backwards.

Based on repeats of trying to figure ways around it, it would seem on the main folders, the largest that hold the smaller individual folders, will show a reverse alphabet. The smaller folders will show reverse alphabet or shuffle

Currently to get past the issue of reverse alphabet you just need to back out of the folder and go back in. However, the issue seems to be getting worse as time goes on, and that solution now may or may not work, from my trial and error, and seems to only solve the problem for one use. Going in a smaller folder, and then back, may yield the reverse alphabet again, as well as going out of the large folder and back into it

I am using VLC media player on my phone, from the Google app store

My phones model is Galaxy S10

I am using the most up to date app and am on the beta

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: And:3.6.0β,Win:2.2.1

Re: Media loads up in wrong order

Postby Spike1 » 25 Jun 2022 13:05

This is reached via Browse > three dots > Sort by. An arrow (triangle) indicates which sort option is currently in effect. Selecting the current option AGAIN flips this arrow and achieves a backward sort.

I don't know how you are getting a "shuffled" sort, but it probably isn't random but by another criterion that doesn't seem relevant when you look at the list of song titles.

(PS—In researching that reply, I seem to have gotten my VLC into a mode where neither Browse nor Settings > Media library folders sees anything on the microSD, even subdirectories! (VLC 3.5.0 RC1 as of 06-22, Samsung J7 with Android 8))

YodaTheWeeb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby YodaTheWeeb » 25 Jun 2022 18:05

Right, so the problem is I didn't set any of this to sort to start with. The app did this all on its own and is randomly generating the files into any order it comes up with at the time

I've even tried going into sort to try and get it back to the way it was. It either goes right back to the current way it's showing or the best I've got is for numbered files to go back to an older version style on vlc which is to show the numbers in this format (this is the most recent new showing today that I've seen):

1,10-19, 2, 20-29, 3, 30-39, and so on

Contrary to the original format which was:

1-10, 11-19, 20-29, 30-39

All in correct descending order. This was the original format I had before today

Now I'm either getting a shuffled order of numbers, as described before, or the numbers in the style shown above

Also the alphabetical, as pointed out before, is randomly showing either opposite or in alphabetical order

There is a glitch that's causing the app to show randomly generating in any of the described formats

I do know the app quite well, I've used it for a long time for various uses. So yes, I know very well of settings, adjusting, and folders

Thus why I'm addressing folders as the place where I'm having this issue

You may not be getting the same issue I am, but I am getting this glitch

I've described in full the glitch as well as what type of phone I am on as well as the current version of VLC media player

YodaTheWeeb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby YodaTheWeeb » 25 Jun 2022 19:07

Ok that's odd, so interestingly enough with the new update it would seem, that may be responsible for the current problems I'm having

The instant Playlist function that comes from clicking on a file, say in the beginning of the folder, has disappeared, however, it's been replaced with a better Play All button, like we use to have, where you can click Play All on any file in the folder and the Playlist will begin from that file down

Now, on an odd note, all the issues I listed are still occurring, but, when I click play all the correct descending orders of numbers returns specifically in the Playlist that appears while playing a video

It actually goes: 1, 2, 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

In order

So currently I'm getting a random glitch involving a shuffled order, reversed or altered order of files within a folder randomly occurring at any click

For full details, please review my last two posts in this thread

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Spike1 » 25 Jun 2022 21:10

> 1,10-19, 2, 20-29, 3, 30-39, and so on

This is the "correct" order when sorting song titles alphabetically. Windows used to have an "intuitive sort" option that would instead Do What I Mean. If VLC used to do this, perhaps you were sorting by some other criterion, such as file timestamp, that would have the desired effect.

YodaTheWeeb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby YodaTheWeeb » 26 Jun 2022 14:18

I wasn't sorting at all, this was the most recent current version. I dont know what version and setup you have but we do not have the same version apparently, cause this was not how it was just days ago

I haven't had this issue for a long while

If it was changed to this recently this makes zero sense why we would go back to this when this makes it harder to play files in a straight number line

And as I've said multiple times, if you'd take the time to read:

"I didn't change anything!"

Honestly, can I talk to someone besides this guy, he doesn't read, and assumes constantly vs actually checking based on version

If he is one of the people that work on your app, this is poor on actual reading of issues and responses to

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gracus36 » 26 Jun 2022 15:05

Just try on my s10.

Default ordering for all folder is file name Z->A

If you change it to file name A-Z, it will work BUT if you go out of the folder and go back into this folder ordering is back to Z->A

YodaTheWeeb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby YodaTheWeeb » 26 Jun 2022 20:15

Yes exactly ^^

Thank you so much! I'm so glad someone else sees this

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 27 Jun 2022 15:52

Sorry for the late answer, I was off most of the last week. The latest 3.5.0 RC 1 version introduced some changes in the browser sorting as you noticed.

Unfortunately, after this version was published, we found some issues and fixed them (but it's not the time to publish a new version yet).

Could you try a nightly version (here: https://artifacts.videolan.org/vlc-andr ... 7-0119.apk) and tell me if this version fixes your issue? Don't worry, it will be installed beside your current version with a green icon so you can try it and uninstall it after if you want.

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gracus36 » 27 Jun 2022 16:06

Just try with the nightly build.

Z->A is still the default ordering.

Changing to A->Z seems now to stay set in the browse tab BUT still return to Z->A when you try to add folder to the library in vlc settings.

YodaTheWeeb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby YodaTheWeeb » 27 Jun 2022 19:38

Thank you so much you guys, I will definitely try that out and see how it goes

I really appreciate the help

I'll get back to you on if it solves the issue for me or not

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gracus36 » 28 Jun 2022 00:43

Here is a screen recording made with the nightly that shows all the issues:

1- browse tab does not always see files on sd card unless you refresh

2- when trying to add folders to library, it see my sd card 2 times (one empty and one with files)

3- when trying to add folders to library, a lot of inconsistancy in ordering system

https://www.transfernow.net/dl/20220627ZMwVkDfR

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 28 Jun 2022 08:38

1. is a known issue we are working on
2./3. we'll take a look

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gracus36 » 28 Jun 2022 11:11

Thanks!

Keep up the good work

YodaTheWeeb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby YodaTheWeeb » 29 Jun 2022 00:11

Getting back to you guys on the green version. The green VLC does seem to at least solve a lot of the refresh issues of the order of things changing back and forth, so that's good

I will say that at least with the green version the other issues of numbering in descending order is only back to being 1,10, 11, 12 and so on

So at least no glitchy menu, just the issue of numbering being set back still to that order

Definitely much more stable currently with green at the moment though

Will stick with this til things get back to good again. Thank you so much for letting me use this

YodaTheWeeb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby YodaTheWeeb » 07 Jul 2022 09:14

I re-read what you wrote, and I apologize, I assumed at the time ill-intentions on your part for whatever reason, I don't know why reading now.

It was incredibly rude of me and you did not deserve it

I can see you were genuinely trying to help and I made sure you would not be helping me anytime soon.

You were correct to ask and check on sorting criterion, as it is a good idea

Sadly I have checked on each of the sorting criteria and none of them seem to be working to get it back to what it was. I'm not sure what happened for sure. If there is a way to get it back I would very much like that, as it is much easier and simpler

However, I understand, that if it's the default setting that may be the only way right now
> 1,10-19, 2, 20-29, 3, 30-39, and so on

This is the "correct" order when sorting song titles alphabetically. Windows used to have an "intuitive sort" option that would instead Do What I Mean. If VLC used to do this, perhaps you were sorting by some other criterion, such as file timestamp, that would have the desired effect.

diceLibrarian
New Cone
New Cone

Postby diceLibrarian » 08 Jul 2022 03:45

I have a similar issue in which it switches which sorting order to use whenever I go down a level. Up a level it's fine, but it swaps it when entering a directory

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Spike1 » 08 Jul 2022 05:39

Yoda, thanks for the apology. I do observe the Z→A sort, it is recent, and I think it's a bug.

I don't know of any VLC sort option that lists media in shuffled order. You can play any list with shuffle enabled, but the display doesn't change to show the shuffled order.

In the audio section, you can sort by file length, medium date, and upload date. What I meant above is that if you inadvertently picked one of these sort criteria (or if a VLC bug picked it for you!) then the list might be displayed in apparently random order, or even in the desired order but with errors.

YodaTheWeeb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby YodaTheWeeb » 08 Jul 2022 05:58

Yeah...currently it looks like the main update for 3.5.0, at least for VLC on my phone, seems to continually get worse with the issues on this, as I went back to try it several hours ago, and not only does it usually automatically flip the order of the files anytime I enter a folder in browse mode, (well...I think in both browse and under video) but there's another issue now

It's definitely a bug causing the issues as, I found if you do these certain things the wording will literally look like a frozen computer screen with scrambled wording:

1. Play an Mp4 file from one of your browse folders (for my exact steps: I went into Browse > Sd card > clicked on one of my folders in the SD card)

2. While playing the video file, click the 3 dots on the bottom right

3. Click pop-up player (this will minimize your video into a square smaller version that you can still watch, play, and click to skip)

4. Close pop up player then go back to folder you were in

Edit: correction this issue seems to be getting fixed as I just tried this right now and it isn't doing the same freeze look I had before. I still did manage to get a stuck thumbnail on the top of the screen as I went back into my previous folder in my SD card on VLC, but it does look like that freeze look is fixed

I'll admit it could still be there and maybe I missed something, but it looks at least mostly fixed for that specific issue

Honestly the issues on this particular issue seem to likely be some glitch or bug in the coding possibly. I dont know code so I don't know for certain, only guessing from some remembering from something a coder once described of his work to me

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Spike1 » 08 Jul 2022 16:00

Coding is like writing; ever rewrite a sentence, then reread the new version the next morning and realize there's a new ambiguity?!

You might say, Why not test in detail before publishing? The answer is that we who want the newest features and download Betas and RCs are the testers!

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 11 Jul 2022 08:39

Sorry, I've been off a few days and I am not sure if you still have issues with the latest nightly. A new RC version should come soon though so you can test on your main VLC instance.

YodaTheWeeb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby YodaTheWeeb » 12 Jul 2022 07:10

Other than numbering order being 1,10, 11, and so on, I think definitely very much more stable and all good on the nightly version

I do understand though that apparently the numbering thing is a default

I believe this was altered in one of the last updates to the chronological order of 1,2 and so on to 10, and descend order from there in regular numbering order, but I understand if we don't have that for now

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gracus36 » 12 Jul 2022 21:17

Ordering issue seems to be solved in 3.5.0 RC3.

YodaTheWeeb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby YodaTheWeeb » 13 Jul 2022 05:33

Ordering issue? In what context? It went from descending order to 1,10,11

What got fixed and why?

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gracus36 » 13 Jul 2022 09:33

Ordering issue? In what context? It went from descending order to 1,10,11

What got fixed and why?
I do not know exactly what they have changed.

You should try for your issue with number (can not try myself because my files names does not start with numbers)

All I can say is that it seems it does not go a->z to z->a anymore without reasons...

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”