3.5.0.Beta 7 Widgets do not display X option.

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Milky
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows

3.5.0.Beta 7 Widgets do not display X option.

Postby Milky » 12 Jun 2022 10:13

I am testing 3.5.0 beta 7 and I've noticed that there is now only one widget (used to be a choice of two), and it does not display metadata, nor does it have an "X" to shut down the program.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Re: 3.5.0.Beta 7 Widgets do not display X option.

Postby Aza » 13 Jun 2022 08:25

there is now only one widget (used to be a choice of two)
The two widgets were : light/dark. Now you can customize that in the configuration screen at any time. So having two widgets is not needed anymore.
nor does it have an "X" to shut down the program.
What do you need this "x" for? This "x" button was just stopping the service. It will be automatically be done by the system when needed.

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gracus36 » 13 Jun 2022 11:51

and it does not display metadata
Metadata works for me

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 13 Jun 2022 13:31

I missed the metadata part. It should indeed work. And it should be the exact same as in the notification.

@Gracus36 is it Beautiful Widgets on top?

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gracus36 » 13 Jun 2022 13:34

@Gracus36 is it Beautiful Widgets on top?
It is sense v2 flip clock and weather

Milky
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Milky » 14 Jun 2022 00:05

I don't want VLC running all the time. Sure, I can press the left button to bring up all apps, scroll through and flick VLC off from there (I have configured audio to stop on swipe), but it was just easier to press the "X" on the widget which I have on top.

Sorry, I tried it again this morning, and there is no Artist/Track information on my copy of the widget, whereas, it is scrolling across the bottom when the main screen is open and also shows on my Android Auto capable car screen.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 14 Jun 2022 07:20

I don't want VLC running all the time. Sure, I can press the left button to bring up all apps, scroll through and flick VLC off from there (I have configured audio to stop on swipe), but it was just easier to press the "X" on the widget which I have on top.
The "x" never killed VLC, the swipe neither. It was just killing the playback service. To be fair, I don't even know why you want to do that (as the system will do it when needed and stopping and starting the service will use more power).
Sorry, I tried it again this morning, and there is no Artist/Track information on my copy of the widget, whereas, it is scrolling across the bottom when the main screen is open and also shows on my Android Auto capable car screen.
At the same time, do the notification show the artist/track info?

Milky
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Milky » 14 Jun 2022 11:33

So, here's the scenario.
I fire up VLC on my phone so I hear music whilst I go for a walk. I get back, and VLC is still blaring music, but I want to work uninterrupted. Right now, I simply hit the X on the widget and silence reigns. How do you suggest that I stop the music?

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gracus36 » 14 Jun 2022 14:15

How do you suggest that I stop the music?
Just hit the pause button on the widget and music should stop.

Milky
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Milky » 15 Jun 2022 00:39

OK, I'll just pause the music. I thought that this may still be using resources, and draining the battery unnecessarily.

Now, back to the metadata issue. I Have a screen dump of the widget (with no information other than the name of the stream) and of the full screen VLC (with the track/artist information scrolling), but I can't see where to upload an image. Is that because I am a newbie?

I have tried the default settings immediately after the widget is created, and every other permutation of the settings, but nothing displays the data.
Interestingly, if I swipe down from the top, the controls that show there (similar to the old widget) also show the data.

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: And:3.6.0β,Win:2.2.1

Postby Spike1 » 15 Jun 2022 13:47

To minimize resources, you don't have to use Android's Settings > Apps to shut down VLC. Just kill it with the Recents button. Set VLC Settings > Audio > Stop on application swipe, to ensure that the player task shuts down too.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 16 Jun 2022 06:59

but I can't see where to upload an image. Is that because I am a newbie?
There is no built-in image upload. You can use https://imgur.com/ for example
I have tried the default settings immediately after the widget is created, and every other permutation of the settings, but nothing displays the data.
The widgets settings shouldn't have any impact on the data displayed on it. But if I remember correctly, I reused the logic pull tags from the currently playing media from the old widget. Are you sure it worked before?
BTW, how did you open these media files? In the "Audio" screen of the app? From the app's built-in browser? Form a third party app?

Milky
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Milky » 16 Jun 2022 10:26

Yes, I am sure they worked before. I actually un-joined the beta team, re-loaded the public version of VLC from Play Store, and created the old widget, just to convince myself I wasn't going mad. The new widget displays the stream name "OtsBox", but that is all.

Not sure what you mean by "media files". I added a stream address, and tapped on that to play my streamed music. Metadata displays along the bottom of the VLC screen, but not in the widget. However, if I swipe down from the top of my phone screen, the control that displays there DOES show the track/artist. It also shows on the Android Auto screen in my car.
I am not interested in showing cover art etc.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 17 Jun 2022 06:43

Ok, I was able to reproduce the issue. There is indeed an issue with the streams.

This issue is now tracked here: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc- ... ssues/2574

Milky
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Milky » 18 Jun 2022 01:38

Thank you for proving I'm not going mad :D
Looking at the two images, It appears that "OtsBox" is on the line where the Track/Artist should be, whereas in the old widget, that is on the second line.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 20 Jun 2022 07:35

Yes, that's something we had to do to be able to make the widget usable on more devices.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”