mayconhvab
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.21 | 3.6.0 beta3
Operating System: Windows 11 | Android

Album cover or audio name does not appear

Postby mayconhvab » 01 Jun 2022 23:54

Hello,
I have a problem with VLC Media Player version 3.5.0, dated June 1, 2022, Android arm7, which is actually a beta.
But in the stable version it is also like that.
The version that contains this error is the stable VLC Media Player from the Android store.
My smartphone is a Galaxy J7 (2016), but I would like this information and changes to be updated for all versions of Android since the one available.

What happens is that the name of the audio or song does not appear in the current playlist. And it doesn't appear in the mini player, the one that appears when you drag it down with your finger (on the smartphone's main screen).
And the album art or the current playing audio does not appear.
Update to show for the audio files; .mp3, .flac and .wav
Files with an album cover or name, which does not appear on the current playing track.
Remembering that I left the audio files as a test for .mp3 and .flac files, I don't have ".wav".

If you can make these changes not only for me, but for everyone who has this error, thank you in advance for support.

Links of image: https://prnt.sc/yDKcyOsZ-S8F
https://prnt.sc/_4ZtSamqVEV3
https://prnt.sc/9nf8KMg1rPO2

Aza
Developer
Developer

Re: Album cover or audio name does not appear

Postby Aza » 02 Jun 2022 06:51

You are opening your tracks with another app. In the recent versions of Android, there is a new security features that forces apps that send files to other apps to use a fake file with a temporary path. In that case, VLC doesn't have access to many information of the track and won't be able to resume it as well (as the path is temporary).
The only solution is to open this file from VLC itself.

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gracus36 » 03 Jun 2022 15:37

You are opening your tracks with another app. In the recent versions of Android, there is a new security features that forces apps that send files to other apps to use a fake file with a temporary path. In that case, VLC doesn't have access to many information of the track and won't be able to resume it as well (as the path is temporary).
The only solution is to open this file from VLC itself.
So, if I open an mp3 file from my phone file manager vlc notification will not be able to show album art included in file tags?

If it's an android limitation, why does it work with foobar?

Mp3 test file is not in vlc library and not in foobar library.
Tested on a samsung galaxy S10 with android 12.
Mp3 test file stored in the phone internal memory.

Vlc screenshot:

Foobar screenshot:

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 07 Jun 2022 07:06

In fact, you're right. I just tested with my test device and was able to retrieve the title and the artwork from a file opened witha file manager.
Could you please tell me what file permission is granted to VLC? Could you also share some logs? Reproduce the issue and then go to: Settings > Advanced > Debug logs. Then share the logs with the sharing service you prefer (Google Drive, Dropbox, pastebin...).

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gracus36 » 07 Jun 2022 11:21

As you can see, artwork is embeded in mp3 file:

Here are the permissions of the vlc app:

Vlc notification do not show the artwork if I play the mp3 from samsung file manager:

Here is the vlc log: https://pastebin.com/4jAQSXfq

EDIT : just saw 2 others issue. First, notification does not show artwork even if I play file directly from vlc. Sevond, vlc see my sdcard 2 times ( one with all my files in it and one totally empty )

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 08 Jun 2022 06:43

If VLC is not able to retrieve the artwork even if you open it from the app, this may be related to this file. Could you please share it to me? You can send me a private message if you want.
About the SDCard issue, could you please share a screenshot?

Gracus36
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gracus36 » 08 Jun 2022 12:03

Just found what is the issue with the artwork!
If you disable "media cover on lockscreen" option, then the drop down notification does not show the artwork.
But if you enable this option, it does not show the artwork as wallpaper as it should...

Here is the screenshot for the sdcard issue:

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 09 Jun 2022 05:47

Glad to read you found your issue!
Here is the screenshot for the sdcard issue:
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”