Stream names are truncated after special character in Stream "History" display

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
zigbob
New Cone
New Cone

Stream names are truncated after special character in Stream "History" display

Postby zigbob » 02 Apr 2022 15:25

Stream names are truncated after special character in stream "History" display.

Two Actual Stream addresses (note the subtype difference):
rtsp://admin:Xxxxxxxx@192.168.5.114:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

rtsp://admin:Xxxxxxxx@192.168.5.114:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

Both streams are displayed in the History with the same truncated name, as the ending where they differ is truncated after the "question mark":
rtsp://admin:Xxxxxxxx@192.168.5.114:554/cam/realmonitor

The above truncated name is also displayed at the top of the screen while the stream is playing.

This behavior makes it impossible to tell which stream you are going to play from the "History", or which stream is currently playing.
Desired behavior: Display entire stream name in the history, or allow renaming of a displayed stream in the history.

VLC for Android 3.4.4 armeabi-v7a.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8
Android 10

Thank you.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Re: Stream names are truncated after special character in Stream "History" display

Postby Aza » 04 Apr 2022 07:51

Streams can already be renamed. Just tap the 3-dots icon > rename.

zigbob
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Stream names are truncated after special character in Stream "History" display

Postby zigbob » 04 Apr 2022 17:47

Streams can already be renamed. Just tap the 3-dots icon > rename.
The only thing under the 3-dots menu is "refresh", no rename option.

zigbob
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zigbob » 04 Apr 2022 18:32

Another option might be to add live streams to their own playlists, but that doesn't seem to be allowed either.

The real root of the problem seems to be that the "question mark", and possibly other special characters aren't processed properly for display in the menus as well as on-screen during playback.

elitedata
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby elitedata » 04 Apr 2022 21:12

try editing the ".xspf" playlist file and add the complete URL there.

zigbob
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zigbob » 04 Apr 2022 22:32

I can't find any file with that name. It doesn't come up in a search and browsing to:
"Internal storage>Android>data>org.videolan.vlc>files>medialib>playlists" is empty, even though I have created a playlist with a local mp4 video in it.

elitedata
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby elitedata » 04 Apr 2022 22:40

I can't find any file with that name. It doesn't come up in a search and browsing to:
"Internal storage>Android>data>org.videolan.vlc>files>medialib>playlists" is empty, even though I have created a playlist with a local mp4 video in it.
ahhh. sorry. my bad. i mistakenly thought this was a windows issue.
i am not sure what file extension name the playlist file is saved on an android device.
the playlist file may be located elsewhere besides the location you are looking at, it might be in the "documents" folder (depending on your device).

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 05 Apr 2022 06:54

The only thing under the 3-dots menu is "refresh", no rename option.
After re-reading your post, could you please confirm that you have no entry in the "Stream" screen?
I thinks it's the issue here. A stream can be renamed as long as it's displayed in the Stream part of the app:

i am not sure what file extension name the playlist file is saved on an android device.
Playlists are stored in the medialibrary database.

zigbob
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zigbob » 05 Apr 2022 15:35

That is correct. There is no entry on the Streams screen for the rtsp://... streams.
The rtsp://... streams are live streams from local security cameras.

As a test I found an https://... stream:
https://multiplatform-f.akamaihd.net/i/multi/will/bunny/big_buck_bunny_,640x360_400,640x360_700,640x360_1000,950x540_1500,.f4v.csmil/master.m3u8

The https://.../master.m3u8 stream does appear on the Streams screen and I can rename it. Oddly though, it does not appear on the History screen even after being played. See pics.

(also there seems to be no way to switch the Streams screen from square icons to long text names, like the History screen shows).

As for the special character truncation problem:
The first stream on the History-Screen-Shot shows the complete name, there are no special characters and it still does not display on the Streams screen. So it seems that the truncation problem is unrelated to files not showing up on the Stream screen.

The second stream is truncated at the Question Mark, as described in the original post.

Thanks for looking into this.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 11 Apr 2022 09:32

I found out why and opened an issue here: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc- ... ssues/2474

It should not be too hard to fix.

zigbob
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zigbob » 11 Apr 2022 14:57

That's great news, Thank you for looking into this! Will keep an eye out for 3.5.x.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”