Can't enable subtitle/closed-caption track in MP4 stream?

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Grant Edwards
New Cone
New Cone

Can't enable subtitle/closed-caption track in MP4 stream?

Postby Grant Edwards » 07 Oct 2019 03:27

I'm playing an MP4 container stream from a DLNA server that contains a closed-caption subtitle track. When using the Linux/Qt VLC (3.0.8 Vetinari) app, I can use the Subtitle/Sub_Track/Closed_captions_N menu entry and the closed-captions show up as expected. Android VLC (3.1.7) doesn't show any subtitle track choices for the MP4 stream.

The MP4 files are ATSC TV programs recorded off the air and then remuxed (but not reencoded) from TS to MP4 containers to enable seeking by VLC. The Linux VLC app can show subtitle/closed-caption tracks in either TS or MP4 streams. The Android VLC will show subtitles in TS container streams (which aren't seekable), but not in the MP4 streams.

How do I get MP4 subtitle tracks to work for VLC Android?

I'm remuxing with a command like this:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i filename.ts -map 0 -c copy -c:s copy filename.mp4
And that seems fine for the Linux/Qt VLC, but not for Android VLC.

Should I be remuxing to a different container format?

Grant Edwards
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Can't enable subtitle/closed-caption track in MP4 stream?

Postby Grant Edwards » 07 Oct 2019 04:32

I've also tried MKV and AVI container formats with the same result: Linux VLC can enable closed-captions, Android VLC can't.

Keeping the files in TS containers isn't really a good option, since VLC can't seek/jump in TS streams. With VLC Android the closed captions don't really work great with a TS stream anyway: the video stutters every time the caption changes.

paultry
New Cone
New Cone

Postby paultry » 09 Feb 2020 23:27

Similar issue here. I have a Dell Venue Tablet running Remix OS/Android 6 with VLC 3.2.3; and an MIBox4 running Android 9 with VLC 3.2.7. I record ATSC via Windows NPVR in .ts format. .TS will stream to each device with viewable CC subtitle tracks. Neither Android VLC will allow skipping/jumping forward/back with .ts and, as noted by Grant Edwards, subtitles cause .ts stream to stutter. I use a simple ffmpeg script to quickly copy .ts to mp4 or mkv to solve the skip/jump issue. With mp4 or mkv streamed to Dell/Android 6/VLC, I can skip/jump AND select and display CC subtitle tracks without stutter. Using same mp4 or mkv files streamed or USBed to MIBox4/Android 9/VLC, I can skip/jump but I do not have a menu option to select subtitle tracks, only subtitle files.

bravia-af8
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bravia-af8 » 05 Mar 2020 07:30

Hello,

With VLC Android the closed captions don't really work great with a TS stream anyway: the video stutters every time the caption changes.

I am using Sony Bravia 55af8 Android Oreo and still have the same issue the other guys described above.

VLC (3.2.7) Error on Teletext subtitles (UK TV) and same error on DVB subtitles (UK TV)

I've just installed 3.2.9 (beta tester) and the same subtitles stuttering error is still there.

Could please guys fix it. Thanks a lot.

bravia-af8
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bravia-af8 » 09 Mar 2020 09:24

guys, can you please fix this if possible, it would mean a lot, thanks

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”