Passthrough with Sony TV

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Waggers45
New Cone
New Cone

Passthrough with Sony TV

Postby Waggers45 » 06 Oct 2018 18:04

I have VLC for Android (v3.013) running on my Sony TV (55XD8005). The TV is connected to my rather old Sony A/V amp (DA5300ES) via an optical cable. This setup works fine with Sony's own Video app and both DD and DTS are passed to the amp for processing.

I would like to get the same working with VLC but find only a stereo signal gets passed across even though I have audio passthrough selected. Is there a solution?

lesmikesell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Passthrough with Sony TV

Postby lesmikesell » 02 Aug 2019 00:06

Sony android TVs had a problem with the android API to pass DTS through that affected all apps except Sony's own video app which apparently used a private API. Plex did a work-around by transcoding to DD on the server side, Kodi did client side transcoding if you configured it correctly.

However, after the recent update to android 8 (Oreo) this seems to be fixed, at least on my xbr55x900e (2017 model). The current Plex and Kodi players pass DTS and DD through with no transcoding, but VLC still delivers 2 channel LCPM. Am I missing something in the settings to enable it or has it not been updated yet?

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”