Accessing Windows Fileshare with VLC for Android

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
anderos
New Cone
New Cone

Accessing Windows Fileshare with VLC for Android

Postby anderos » 06 May 2018 15:10

Hi, I have 2 computers, both running Windows 10 with the 1803 spring update. On both computers I have a folder with video files shared.

With computer 1 everything works fine, i can easily access its contents with all my android devices through the local network option in VLC for android

With computer 2 I can see the computer through local network option in VLC for android however when I attempt to access it, it just loads and loads and nothing happens, it wont even prompt for username/password.

However with ES File Explorer for android I am able to view and access the shared folder on computer 2 with all my android devices. Also with my other computers, including computer 1 i am able to view and access the folder on computer 2.

Basically everything else can access computer 2 except VLC for android. Would you guys have any ideas what could cause this?

Crazed_by_Penguins
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Accessing Windows Fileshare with VLC for Android

Postby Crazed_by_Penguins » 10 May 2018 09:10

I'm seeing the same issue when trying to connect to the share on my computer. Also running Windows 10 version 1803 (although the issue also occurred before updating from version 1709).

I'm also able to access the share from my file manager app (Solid Explorer in my case).

Dekans
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Dekans » 15 May 2018 14:31

SMB2/3 support is WIP in the library VLC uses.
So I guess we won't have it back until VLC 4 :/

Crazed_by_Penguins
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Crazed_by_Penguins » 22 May 2018 08:14

I have found a workaround for this: SMB 1.0 is still available as an optional feature in Windows 10.

To turn it on, open your Start Menu, and search for "Turn Windows features on or off". Within the window that opens, click the plus sign next to "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" and select "SMB 1.0/CIFS Server" (Also make sure that "SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal" is deselected). Click "OK" and restart your computer. Once it boots back up, VLC should be able to successfully access your fileshare.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”