VLC App not compatible with 2nd Generation Amazon Fire TV Stick

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Remis
New Cone
New Cone

VLC App not compatible with 2nd Generation Amazon Fire TV Stick

Postby Remis » 25 Oct 2016 04:42

Actual VLC App not compatible with new Amazon Fire TV Stick. Any future plans for an update?

adamryer
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC App not compatible with 2nd Generation Amazon Fire TV Stick

Postby adamryer » 27 Oct 2016 16:07

I'm running into the same problem. I just bought a new fire TV stick and was disappointed to see that VLC was not compatible. I was going to use it to stream content from my local media server. In the mean time I might give the Vimu media player app a shot until VLC is updated.

JNavas
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC App IS compatible with 2nd Generation Amazon Fire TV Stick

Postby JNavas » 01 Jan 2017 20:45

I'm running into the same problem. I just bought a new fire TV stick and was disappointed to see that VLC was not compatible. I was going to use it to stream content from my local media server. In the mean time I might give the Vimu media player app a shot until VLC is updated.
VLC actually works fine on the 2nd generation (2016) Fire TV stiick. (It will even stream HEVC x265 video with only an occasional glitch.)

The problem is that VLC for Fire doesn't appear in Appstore on the 2nd generation (2016) stick, so you have to sideload VLC for Android (which has the additional benefit of being a later VLC version than VLC for Fire). See my VLC for Fire TV blog post for details.
Last edited by JNavas on 02 Jan 2017 03:17, edited 7 times in total.

davepcguru
New Cone
New Cone

Postby davepcguru » 02 Jan 2017 00:20

I have a 2.7 and a 3.0 firestick and VLC functions on both of them, I can browse my network shares and play media from them... The only problem I am having is finding a way to input the network address of my security camera. I downloaded VLC on both devices from the Firestick Appstore it's called "VLC for Fire"

JNavas
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby JNavas » 02 Jan 2017 02:30

I have a 2.7 and a 3.0 firestick and VLC functions on both of them, I can browse my network shares and play media from them... The only problem I am having is finding a way to input the network address of my security camera. I downloaded VLC on both devices from the Firestick Appstore it's called "VLC for Fire"
Whatever you mean by 2.7 and 3.0, those sound like 1st generation devices. What relevance do they have to this 2nd generation thread? :?:

davepcguru
New Cone
New Cone

Postby davepcguru » 04 Jan 2017 01:21

Whatever you mean by 2.7 and 3.0, those sound like 1st generation devices. What relevance do they have to this 2nd generation thread? :?:
Why don't you explain to an obvious Firestick noob instead of mocking, I thought mine were new generation devices, I bought them direct from Amazon in December 2016.

JNavas
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby JNavas » 04 Jan 2017 01:27

Why don't you explain to an obvious Firestick noob instead of mocking, I thought mine were new generation devices, I bought them direct from Amazon in December 2016.
Instead of taking offense where none was intended, why don't you read what I posted more carefully, and explain what you mean by "2.7 and 3.0"? I assumed you have 1st gen devices since VLC Fire does not appear in Appstore on 2nd gen devices.

davepcguru
New Cone
New Cone

Postby davepcguru » 05 Jan 2017 01:51

Instead of taking offense where none was intended, why don't you read what I posted more carefully, and explain what you mean by "2.7 and 3.0"? I assumed you have 1st gen devices since VLC Fire does not appear in Appstore on 2nd gen devices.
That's a fine explanation, and all I needed to hear...
The 2.7 and 3.0 and 3.5, I'm reading from Kodi's Power menu, it will say for example V3.5 FIRESTICK, maybe this is related to Kodi, and I made the mistake of reading this and thinking it was informing me about the Firestick version. Sorry for my confusion

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”