Can not find directoty

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Cabrio4ever
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Can not find directoty

Postby Cabrio4ever » 09 Feb 2014 23:57

I am convinced it must have somthing to do with this new requirement in 4.4....

http://developer.android.com/about/vers ... d-4.4.html
Quote :
"
Important Behavior Changes
If you have previously published an app for Android, be aware that your app might be affected by changes in Android 4.4.

If your app reads from external storage...

Your app can not read shared files on the external storage when running on Android 4.4, unless your app has the READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission. That is, files within the directory returned by getExternalStoragePublicDirectory() are no longer accessible without the permission. However, if you need to access only your app-specific directories, provided by getExternalFilesDir(), then you do not need the READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
"

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Postby edwardw » 10 Feb 2014 01:41

This is because we already ask for WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE, which includes READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE.

The test build I made that includes READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE made no difference whatsoever.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Feb 2014 22:33

Weird bug, but several people complained...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 11 Feb 2014 22:40

Earlier I even posted a build with READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and it still didn't work, so...

Would be very nice if we had physical access to such a device so that we can figure out what's going on.

wired2mw
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wired2mw » 03 Mar 2014 07:02

I have the exact same problem, but posted under another title. Below is a description of the problem.
I'm having a similar problem as peter66 - VLC is not able to see any files on the ext SD card. I can use the file mgr to access the files and then play them using VLC. VLC will see the upper level folders, but not any video or audio files in them. When I select the video option all it sees are the files on the internal card.
I using a new Samsung Note 3 (cpu N9005) with Android ver. 4.4.2. VlC downloaded from google play store has been working for the past few months. It seems to have stopped working a few weeks ago, possibly after an OS update - I'm not sure as I haven't used VLC for a few weeks. Tried deleting and reinstalling VLC, no luck. Installed a nightly from google play store, no luck there either.
I'm not sure which nightly to try downloading from the videolan.org site. Appreciate any help with this.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 03 Mar 2014 07:22

If you post in one thread, it would be nice to keep the conversation going in the same thread so that we don't have to repeat each other multiple times.

Cabrio4ever
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Cabrio4ever » 10 Mar 2014 11:57

Too bad there is still no solution.
Indeed you can use the standard Android file explorer to go to the sd card and select vlc as the app to open the file. ... But there is no way to browse to the file within Vlc and that is what we really want to do. ..

wallepuh
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wallepuh » 12 Mar 2014 20:31

This is not working for me either.

Everything worked well untill the upgrade to kitkat.

On my device I´m also running MX player and that pice of sw works fine. I can browse all directories but VLC can´t.

If i browse the SD card with the filmanager I can start the video and choose VLC as the player and it works fine. The file stays for a while in the history buffer. But after a while the history buffer/list is cleared.

Hope that gave you some more clarification.

I´m using Samsung S4

regards Mats

XilasZ
Developer
Developer

Postby XilasZ » 27 Mar 2014 14:27

I just changed the way we scan for sdcards, can you try the latest NB : http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/and ... 7-1057.apk

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”