Files on external SD card not recognised

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Pete66
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Files on external SD card not recognised

Postby Pete66 » 13 Feb 2014 18:16

I seem to have resolved this problem - sort of. I wondered if VLC might be struggling with the number of videos on my SD Card, so I moved some of them into a new folder on the SD card. When I went into preferences and selected that new folder they all appeared when I went back into the Video tab! So I tried to set up another folder and drag a few more in there - that worked, both folders selected in preferences and all now showing OK. In short, I ended up setting up 5 folders containing all the videos that had been in the original folder and they show up fine - the original folder, however, is still not showing, so I have now ditched it. So all now sorted but still none the wiser! Thanks for looking into this for me.

Pete

wired2mw
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wired2mw » 03 Mar 2014 03:51

I'm having a similar problem as peter66 - VLC is not able to see any files on the ext SD card. I can use the file mgr to access the files and then play them using VLC. VLC will see the upper level folders, but not any video or audio files in them. When I select the video option all it sees are the files on the internal card.
I using a new Samsung Note 3 (cpu N9005) with Android ver. 4.4.2. VlC downloaded from google play store has been working for the past few months. It seems to have stopped working a few weeks ago, possibly after an OS update - I'm not sure as I haven't used VLC for a few weeks. Tried deleting and reinstalling VLC, no luck. Installed a nightly from google play store, no luck there either.
I'm not sure which nightly to try downloading from the videolan.org site. Appreciate any help with this.

Morris

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Postby edwardw » 03 Mar 2014 04:12

Pete66
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Pete66 » 03 Mar 2014 09:04

If it is the same problem as mine, try creating a new folder on the card and transfer a couple of videos to it. See if Vlc recognises them ok. If so transfer the rest over and delete the old folder. It seems that it was the folder that went funny on my card.
Pete

corlae
New Cone
New Cone

Postby corlae » 20 Mar 2014 10:12

Hello,
here is how i solve the same problem on my device (i9505 with brand new stock 4.4.2, no root access) for my 14Gb of music:
1. uninstall the vlc apk from Google play
2. install the apk recommended by edwardw, http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/arm ... 1-0111.apk
3.under PREFERENCES, i choose MEDIA LIBRARY (first in the list)
4. choose custom path https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wzbeilqltsta ... .05.54.png;
5. write there "mnt", it will accept the mnt and will open a list of mnt subfolders/locations
6. tick extSdCard there. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wzbeilqltsta ... .05.59.png---pictures will be deleted in about 10 days, i cannot upload them in my post
7. go back and wait to read the info and construct the MEDIA LIBRARY

I was trying to rename the music folder without any result
i was trying to move some music from the original folder to another folder, no result

Hope that helps!

Dhruv
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dhruv » 24 Mar 2014 07:40

Files on external SD card are not recognized after latest nightly.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 24 Mar 2014 20:24

Is this the same problem with the Samsung SD card issue?

Dhruv
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dhruv » 25 Mar 2014 06:02

Its fixed with 25th march nightly.

XilasZ
Developer
Developer

Postby XilasZ » 27 Mar 2014 14:56

I just changed the way we scan for sdcards, can you try the latest NB : http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/and ... 7-1057.apk

tofke34
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tofke34 » 31 Mar 2014 14:23

i'm having the same problem since i've installed the update 4.4.2 on a Samsung S4
before i could look into the SD card , but now it only gives me a black screen
i've de-installed VLC already but reinstalling didn't gave a solution
i've also tried some work arounds that have been explained here , with no solution
so i still can't get to my video files on the SD card
do you have any idea what we can do ?

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 01 Apr 2014 06:20

Please try a nightly build as described above.

mekes82
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mekes82 » 01 Apr 2014 19:35

Hi all,

I am having the same problem. I have also tried the latest nightly build recommended in the thread, unfortunately I experienced the same problem.

What I have noticed is that the advice being recommended to gain access to the SD card is actually giving me access to my phones internal memory. This is with the internal memory selection not ticked in the preferences. I've tried as much in the last hour or so that has been recommended in this thread. Could it be a problem with perhaps the phones internal storage being an SD card, so there are 2 SD cards inside of the phone?

Its all I've got, might be a poor suggestion. Any advice appreciated :)

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”