Containers/Container settings not in wide use

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
MoSal
New Cone
New Cone

Containers/Container settings not in wide use

Postby MoSal » 20 Jan 2014 16:59

Hello.

I tested VLC (Android, nightly) with some not very well tested formats. Files are muxed using ffmpeg.

(Note: Coming from GNU/Linux, Android's reliance on file extensions to detect types is a kind of dumb. But that's not a VLC issue.)

1- NUT
files not recognised as is. A rename to some (unrelated) known extension is required. No duration/seek support.

2- ISMV
files not recognised as is. A rename to some known extension is required. Renaming to MP4 is technically correct of course.

3- MP4 with fragments (including ISMV)
Very long videos (1.5h+) created with ffmpeg's '-movflags frag_keyframe' or any other setting that creates a lot of fragments.
Those files take a lot of time to start playing or to create a thumbnail for them. Sometimes VLC crashes due to a timeout.
Seeking time (at least in the betas) is also very slow. But I think that's fixed in nightlies (tested frag_keyframe only).

Otherwise, VLC for Android has come a long way since its early days. So thank you developers and contributors for the great work you've done.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Re: Containers/Container settings not in wide use

Postby edwardw » 20 Jan 2014 23:02

A NUT file just seems to be MPEG-4 Part 2 and Vorbis: http://streams.videolan.org/samples/nut ... is-ssa.nut

Not sure about ISMV but if it is similar, then it should be renamed to MP4.

MoSal
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MoSal » 21 Jan 2014 00:29

You probably know all this already. But I will mention it anyway.
A NUT file just seems to be MPEG-4 Part 2 and Vorbis: http://streams.videolan.org/samples/nut ... is-ssa.nut
NUT is an independent container. It's also flexible about the codecs it accepts. Just like Matroska.

It is well supported by ffmpeg(not libav the last time I checked as most of the work is done by Michael Niedermayer).
So, using the latest ffmpeg code should help, I think.

Some basic information and a link to the specification can be found here:
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=NUT
Not sure about ISMV but if it is similar, then it should be renamed to MP4.
It's not similar. And it is MP4. It is handled correctly by VLC except for some performance issues with long videos.

I think adding both ".ismv" and ".nut" to video_extensions in vlc-android/src/org/videolan/libvlc/Media.java should avoid the need for renaming. But I can't test that myself right now.

Note that ".ismv" is just another special MP4 extension, just like ".3gp", ".mov" and others.

One can create ismv test files easily, just use the extension in the output in ffmpeg. This is also true for nut.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Postby edwardw » 21 Jan 2014 01:07

Should be done in nightlies now.

MoSal
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MoSal » 22 Jan 2014 10:27