MP3 webstream auto-reconnect/play after losing internet connection

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
hanno
New Cone
New Cone

MP3 webstream auto-reconnect/play after losing internet connection

Postby hanno » 12 Mar 2024 15:57

Hello everyone!

I'm listening to a webstream radio station while motorcycle riding with VLC for Android. The radio station can be reached with the following URL: https://icecast.radiobremen.de/rb/breme ... stream.mp3

I'm running VLC for Android version 3.5.4 (2023-02-20) on a Sony Xperia 1 IV with Android 14. The webstream URL is in a playlist (it is the only audio source in that playlist) and while listening to it, I have the "Repeat one" option (two arrows in the shape of a circle with a "1" inside) activated.

I have a set of BlueTooth earsphones (JLab GO AIR SPORT) on under my helmet connected to the phone for audio and I am unable to handle my phone while driving because of the protective gear and, well... I'm driving.

Sometimes on the road the LTE internet connection gets spotty. Too slow for the MP3 webstream or no connection at all for a time is possible. Short connection interruptions are not a problem for VLC. Because I turned on "Repeat one" of the playlist, the stream usually continues to play after a little while (that is at least one of my theories). But sometimes VLC does not restart the stream, even after internet connection is restored again. Playback is stopped!

I then have to stop the motorcycle, take of the protective gear, get out my phone, press "Play" to start the stream again, but the phone back, the protective gear back on and continue. Until the next connection drop happens again. That's no fun on longer rides or commuting.

Here are my three theories on what is happening:
  • VLC gives up the "Repeat one" option after X times of failed retries
  • VLC marks the audio source as "bad" or unreachable after retrying (with no internet) and stops the playback
  • The "Repeat one" option does not even work with the playlist, playback continues because the stream itself is reachable again
Now my questions:
Is it possible for me to auto-reconnect/play the webstream after losing the internet connection without having to handle my phone at all with VLC?
Can I force VLC to retry or replay the stream over and over again, even if it is not reachable?

Thank you very much

Hanno

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”