more skins2 testing, followup

This is a special forum aimed at testing and reporting regressions that happens on VLC 1.0.0.

This IS just about REGRESSIONS AND TESTING, no feature requests or bug reporting for OLD issues.
black
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

more skins2 testing, followup

Postby black » 12 Jun 2009 07:12

hey again,

VLC-1.0.0-rc3, debian-squeeze

Definitive proof? Space bordering the Vout, up to the edges of the UI, is directly or indirectly, causing the black bars on the video display during the "zooming process". I fully realize that code is different w 1.0x and the "raptor" skin, for Goldeneye, was fleshed-out in Grishenko, and zooming there worked to a "T".

As is currently, w rc3 and skins, black bars always show w the video display after any zoom attempt. Bar size/orientation appears dependant on the largest side, left/right/top/bottom, tho all bordering sides have affect, the largest produces the most. Vout dimensions don't seem to matter as does its position relative to its UI, the min size of the UI, and the default video AR.

If Vout dimensions are increased in steps approaching its UI dimensions, bars will gradually decrease in size/in step. If Vout is extended the full height/width of the its UI, there won't be any black bars when zooming, no matter the zoom-coefficient. There won't be any disparity in size between the initial starting 1:1, or the zoomed thru 1:1. Measured deltas of Vout all match the bordering sides.

This, of course, destroys the design and intent of the skin near totally, your desktop-wallpaper is background, no controls, no eye-candy, no anything but a black box or rectangle. But hey, perfect zooms every time, provided one has minimum size to accomodate all common aspect ratios, which most skins I've used/ tested don't, are limited in dimension by design.

Erwan10, you mentioned truncation...if I may hazard a guess, appears that zooming takes the starting layout parameters, using those for all zoom operations hence, is never aware of, or isn't refreshed w an alternate layout possibility, therefore, zooms accordingly. Which is why the sizing of the alternate layout looks suspiciously similar to primary layout sizing.

The "truncate" affect only shows on raptor due to alternate layout. Measurements again show that resulting size @ whatever zoom state=size of primary layout @ same zoom state. You may've also noticed the resultant "vertical" bar on left side of truncation, due no doubt, to the large right border that the playlist occupies.

I know, a lotta "to-do" for a measely skin, but affects all skins w an included Vout!

black

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Re: more skins2 testing, followup

Postby erwan10 » 12 Jun 2009 11:36

Hi black,

raptor skins may be the first skins ever to fully use alternate layouts with videos... Therefore, it's a good skins for debugging purpose.

I used it to review all the resizing problem including zooming when multiple layouts are used.

I am about to send a patch that hopefully solves these problems.

Erwan10

Return to “VLC 1.0.0 testing”