VLC Command Line Problem

This forum is about all development around libVLC.
alexfox
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Command Line Problem

Postby alexfox » 10 Dec 2014 17:18

I am using VLC to capture a stream Audio/Video RTSP from a Sony camera. From GUI can acquire and save the file to disk synchronized.
From the terminal can not I get the same result ... how come?
Interface performs the following steps:
- Open network flow (insert address RTSP)
- I click on Flow
- Add the name of the file to save and imposed encoding
- Start the flow

The output string of the generated flow is the following:

: sout = # transcode {vcodec = mp2v, vb = 800, scale = 1}: {file = mux mkv, dst = / home / alessio / Video / ergergerghe}: sout-all: ttl = 128: sout-keep

I write from the terminal:

vlc rtsp: //10.4.1.175: 554 / media / video1: sout = # transcode {vcodec = mp2v, vb = 800, scale = 1}: {file = mux mkv, dst = / home / alessio / Video / provaVLC1} : sout-all: ttl = 128: sout-keep

I get the following errors:

main stream output error: stream chain failed for `transcodescale = 1: filedst = / home / alessio / Video / provaVLC1 '
[0x7f9938005178] main input error: can not start stream output instance, aborting

What is wrong?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC Command Line Problem

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 02 Jan 2015 17:00

missing "" around the sout arguments
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

SarasotaSlim
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.5
Operating System: Windows / Mac OS

Re: VLC Command Line Problem

Postby SarasotaSlim » 15 Jan 2015 20:53

Hmm...rather than what previous poster said (about quotes around sout arguments), I've been
following other examples from posts here in the forum. e.g. do a forum search for
#transcode
and follow their example patterns for your cmd-line syntax.

As you'll notice, those examples all do it by eliminating ALL the 'space' character in the curly-braced area in
the "#transcode" clause, which begins with:

--sout=#transcode{.............}

In other words, all those dots would be replaced with your transcoding arguments, with NO intervening spaces.
EDIT: oops...with the one exception that argument VALUES inside, when they are double-quoted strings, CAN then have space-chars in them!

[Of course, you MUST have spaces in the front part, between all the various options that begin with double-dashes.]

Hope this helps...
HINT: My common VLC-usage is to transcode (via 'sout') to add on-screen 'Marquee' info,
and for that, I still use VLC v2.0.5, since marquee metadata-expansions ($-symbols) work there.

[ The VLC-version 2.x code beyond 2.0.5 remains 'broken' for that marquee functionality, tho there IS
an open and accepted bug-report on that...i.e. ticket #9514 ]

Return to “Development around libVLC”