need help on compile error caused by one of the contribs

This forum is about all development around libVLC.
eddiek
New Cone
New Cone

need help on compile error caused by one of the contribs

Postby eddiek » 27 Sep 2013 21:49

Hello,
I'm trying to compile vlc in a mingw/msys environment but keep getting the error below. I followed all the steps in the https://wiki.videolan.org/Win32CompileMSYSNew/ wiki and also looked at the trouble shooting guide but could not get a solution. Any help on how to proceed would be appreciated. Thanks.

C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x5ea): undefined reference to `WSAGetLastError@0'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x60b): undefined reference to `WSASetLastError@4'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x189b): undefined reference to `WSAGetLastError@0'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x18bb): undefined reference to `WSASetLastError@4'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x28cc): undefined reference to `WSAGetLastError@0'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x28f0): undefined reference to `WSASetLastError@4'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x293d): undefined reference to `WSAGetLastError@0'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x295d): undefined reference to `WSASetLastError@4'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x2c9e): undefined reference to `WSAGetLastError@0'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x2cbe): undefined reference to `WSASetLastError@4'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x2cf8): undefined reference to `WSAGetLastError@0'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x2d18): undefined reference to `WSASetLastError@4'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x3fd2): undefined reference to `WSAGetLastError@0'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x3ff2): undefined reference to `WSASetLastError@4'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x5622): undefined reference to `WSAGetLastError@0'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x5642): undefined reference to `WSASetLastError@4'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x56d2): undefined reference to `WSAGetLastError@0'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x56f2): undefined reference to `WSASetLastError@4'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x5758): undefined reference to `WSAGetLastError@0'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x5778): undefined reference to `WSASetLastError@4'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x57ef): undefined reference to `WSAGetLastError@0'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x5813): undefined reference to `WSASetLastError@4'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x6882): undefined reference to `WSAGetLastError@0'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x68ac): undefined reference to `WSASetLastError@4'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x7053): undefined reference to `WSAGetLastError@0'
C:/msys/1.0/home/ekibicho/vlc_source/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpthreadGC2.a(pthread.o):pthread.c:(.text+0x7076): undefined reference to `WSASetLastError@4'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [libzvbi_plugin.la] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

gnosygnu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: need help on compile error caused by one of the contribs

Postby gnosygnu » 29 Sep 2013 08:05

Hi. I got this same error as well. I skipped the zvbi module and got much further, but not after several workarounds.

I detail more below. For any of the developers, my summarized list of questions is as follows:
  • is the m4 workaround below correct?
  • is libpthreadGC2.a broken, or if there is another way to build libzvbi?
  • is the libFLAC workaround correct?
  • what is the correct fix for direct2d.c and IID_ID2D1Factory?
  • what is the correct fix for events.c and tolower?
  • what is the fix for ole2.h?
  • why did the process stop after making the vlc-2.2.0-git directory?

Background
First, for reference's sake, I used the walkthrough here: https://wiki.videolan.org/Win32CompileMSYS/ (which includes the prebuilt msys). I only deviated from the walkthrough in each of the sections listed below.

Also, I'm trying this on a new Windows 7 64-bit system. I chose the 32 bit version for TDM/MinGW (since 64 bit was marked experimental).

config tools and m4 error
I got the error "configure: error: no acceptable m4 could be found in $PATH." I found this thread here: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=106503.

I resolved it by opening \vlc\extras\tools\packages.mak and changing AUTOCONF_VERSION=2.69 -> AUTOCONF_VERSION=2.67

zvbi and WSAGetLastError
I then got the WSAGetLastError during the zvbi process

I tried various things with zvbi to work around the WSAGetLastError. However, my limited understanding is that there is something wrong with the pre-built contrib: libpthreadGC2.a. Here is my reasoning:
  • WSAGetLastError appears to be related to libws2_32.a
  • libws2_32.a is on my machine at C:\MinGW\lib\libws2_32.a
  • Meanwhile, the undefined reference error is coming from libpthreadGC2.a
  • As libpthreadGC2.a is a contrib binary, it is not configurable by the VLC build process
  • For good measure, I tried adding "-lws2_32" to libzvbi.la. Still the same error
I ended up disabling this module by adding "-disable-zvbi" to configure.

libFLAC: undefined reference to `ntohl@4'
After disabling libzvbli, I got this error:

Code: Select all

Creating library file: .libs/libflac_plugin.dll.aC:/MinGW/msys/home/gnosygnu/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libFLAC.a(bitwriter.o): In function `FLAC__bitwriter_get_buffer': /home/jb/vlc-2.0/contrib/win32/flac/src/libFLAC/bitwriter.c:286: undefined reference to `ntohl@4' /home/jb/vlc-2.0/contrib/win32/flac/src/libFLAC/bitwriter.c:286: undefined reference to `ntohl@4' /home/jb/vlc-2.0/contrib/win32/flac/src/libFLAC/bitwriter.c:286: undefined reference to `ntohl@4' C:/MinGW/msys/home/gnosygnu/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libFLAC.a(bitwriter.o): In function `FLAC__bitwriter_write_rice_signed_block': /home/jb/vlc-2.0/contrib/win32/flac/src/libFLAC/bitwriter.c:611: undefined reference to `ntohl@4' /home/jb/vlc-2.0/contrib/win32/flac/src/libFLAC/bitwriter.c:645: undefined reference to `ntohl@4' C:/MinGW/msys/home/gnosygnu/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libFLAC.a(bitwriter.o):/home/jb/vlc-2.0/contrib/win32/flac/src/libFLAC/bitwriter.c:321: more undefined references to `ntohl@4' follow
`ntohl@4' is also related to the ws2_32 library. I fixed this by opening C:\MinGW\msys\home\gnosygnu\vlc\contrib\mingw32\lib\libFLAC.la and adding "-lws2_32"

dependency_libs=' -L/home/gnosygnu/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib -lws2_32 -lm /home/gnosygnu/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libogg.la'
msw/events.c: implicit declaration of function 'tolower'

../../../extras/package/win32/../../../modules/video_output/msw/events.c: In function 'EventThread': ../../../extras/package/win32/../../../modules/video_output/msw/events.c:276:17: error: implicit declaration of function 'tolower' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
I opened the file and commented out the line (which I understand will probably break direct2d, but I wanted to finish compiling)

mws/direct2d.c: IID_ID2D1Factory' undeclared

../../../extras/package/win32/../../../modules/video_output/msw/direct2d.c: In function 'Open': ../../../extras/package/win32/../../../modules/video_output/msw/direct2d.c:121:45: error: 'IID_ID2D1Factory' undeclared (first use in this function) ../../../extras/package/win32/../../../modules/video_output/msw/direct2d.c:121:45: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
I opened the file and declared the variable as a NULL (again, I just wanted to finish compiling)

error: required OLE header ole2.h is missing from your system
Compiling finally completed. However, the package making failed with the ole2.h error.

I found this thread (https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=111646) and checked my config.log file in napi-vlc. The relevant excerpt is below

configure:17031: checking ole2.h usability configure:17031: g++ -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -c -g -O2 -I/home/gnosygnu/vlc/contrib/mingw32/include -mms-bitfields -Wall -Wextra -Wsign-compare -Wundef -Wpointer-arith -Wvolatile-register-var -ffast-math -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -I../extras/package/win32/../../../include -I./include -I/home/gnosygnu/vlc/contrib/mingw32/include -D__USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO=1 conftest.cpp >&5 g++.exe: error: unrecognized command line option '-static-libstdc++' configure:17031: $? = 1 configure: failed program was: | /* confdefs.h */ | #define PACKAGE_NAME "npapi-vlc" | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "npapi-vlc" | #define PACKAGE_VERSION "2.1.0" | #define PACKAGE_STRING "npapi-vlc 2.1.0" | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "" | #define PACKAGE_URL "" | #define PACKAGE "npapi-vlc" | #define VERSION "2.1.0" | #define STDC_HEADERS 1 | #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1 | #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1 | #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1 | #define HAVE_STRING_H 1 | #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1 | #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1 | #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1 | #define HAVE_STDINT_H 1 | #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1 | #define __EXTENSIONS__ 1 | #define _ALL_SOURCE 1 | #define _GNU_SOURCE 1 | #define _POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS 1 | #define _TANDEM_SOURCE 1 | #define _FORTIFY_SOURCE 2 | #define LT_OBJDIR ".libs/" | #define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0501 | #define _WIN32_IE 0x0600 | #define _WIN32 1 | /* end confdefs.h. */ | #include <stdio.h> | #ifdef HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H | # include <sys/types.h> | #endif | #ifdef HAVE_SYS_STAT_H | # include <sys/stat.h> | #endif | #ifdef STDC_HEADERS | # include <stdlib.h> | # include <stddef.h> | #else | # ifdef HAVE_STDLIB_H | # include <stdlib.h> | # endif | #endif | #ifdef HAVE_STRING_H | # if !defined STDC_HEADERS && defined HAVE_MEMORY_H | # include <memory.h> | # endif | # include <string.h> | #endif | #ifdef HAVE_STRINGS_H | # include <strings.h> | #endif | #ifdef HAVE_INTTYPES_H | # include <inttypes.h> | #endif | #ifdef HAVE_STDINT_H | # include <stdint.h> | #endif | #ifdef HAVE_UNISTD_H | # include <unistd.h> | #endif | #include <ole2.h> configure:17031: result: no configure:17031: checking ole2.h presence configure:17031: g++ -E -I../extras/package/win32/../../../include -I./include -I/home/gnosygnu/vlc/contrib/mingw32/include -D__USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO=1 conftest.cpp configure:17031: $? = 0 configure:17031: result: yes configure:17031: WARNING: ole2.h: present but cannot be compiled configure:17031: WARNING: ole2.h: check for missing prerequisite headers? configure:17031: WARNING: ole2.h: see the Autoconf documentation configure:17031: WARNING: ole2.h: section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled" configure:17031: WARNING: ole2.h: proceeding with the compiler's result configure:17031: checking for ole2.h configure:17031: result: no configure:17035: error: required OLE header ole2.h is missing from your system
I looked up the error: unrecognized command line option '-static-libstdc++' and found this thread: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1422 ... ingw-4-7-1

This seems to indicate that I should be using TDM/MinGW 4.7.1, not 4.6.3. However the walkthrough explicitly crosses out 4.7.1 and directs to 4.6.3. Should 4.7.1 not be used?

On a wild guess, I then searched for '-static-libstdc++' in all files, and replaced it with "-static -lstdc++ -dynamic".

Surprisingly, this worked. The process continued and even generated the vlc-2.2.0-git directory, until...

cannot stat `axvlc.dll'

cp -r /home/gnosygnu/vlc/win32/_win32/share/locale /home/gnosygnu/vlc/win32/vlc-2.2.0-git cp: cannot stat `/home/gnosygnu/vlc/win32/_win32/share/locale': No such file or directory make: [package-win-common] Error 1 (ignored) mkdir -p /home/gnosygnu/vlc/win32/vlc-2.2.0-git/lua/ cp -r /home/gnosygnu/vlc/win32/_win32/lib/vlc/lua/* /home/gnosygnu/vlc/win32/_win32/share/vlc/lua/* /home/gnosygnu/vlc/win32/vlc-2.2.0-git/lua/ rm -fr /home/gnosygnu/vlc/win32/vlc-2.2.0-git/skins cp -r /home/gnosygnu/vlc/win32/_win32/share/vlc/skins2 /home/gnosygnu/vlc/win32/vlc-2.2.0-git/skins cp "./npapi-vlc/activex/axvlc.dll.manifest" "/home/gnosygnu/vlc/win32/vlc-2.2.0-git/" cp "./npapi-vlc/installed/lib/axvlc.dll" "/home/gnosygnu/vlc/win32/vlc-2.2.0-git/" cp: cannot stat `./npapi-vlc/installed/lib/axvlc.dll': No such file or directory make: *** [package-win-common] Error 1
At which point, I gave up. It was late. There were no error messages on screen for the activex build, but the file was clearly not there.

Return to “Development around libVLC”