(Python) how to start?

This forum is about all development around libVLC.
pablopp83
New Cone
New Cone

(Python) how to start?

Postby pablopp83 » 26 Jun 2012 21:57

hi, im trying to do an aplication that requiere to use a video screen. I find the libvlc api for python and i think that its just what i need. I run a example that i found:

Code: Select all

#! /usr/bin/python # -*- coding: utf-8 -*- # # WX example for VLC Python bindings # Copyright (C) 2009-2010 the VideoLAN team # # This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify # it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by # the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or # (at your option) any later version. # # This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, # but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of # MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the # GNU General Public License for more details. # # You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License # along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software # Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston MA 02110-1301, USA. # """ A simple example for VLC python bindings using wxPython. Author: Michele Orrù Date: 23-11-2010 """ # import external libraries import wx # 2.8 import vlc # import standard libraries import os import user class Player(wx.Frame): """The main window has to deal with events. """ def __init__(self, title): wx.Frame.__init__(self, None, -1, title, pos=wx.DefaultPosition, size=(550, 500)) # Menu Bar # File Menu self.frame_menubar = wx.MenuBar() self.file_menu = wx.Menu() self.file_menu.Append(1, "&Open", "Open from file..") self.file_menu.AppendSeparator() self.file_menu.Append(2, "&Close", "Quit") self.Bind(wx.EVT_MENU, self.OnOpen, id=1) self.Bind(wx.EVT_MENU, self.OnExit, id=2) self.frame_menubar.Append(self.file_menu, "File") self.SetMenuBar(self.frame_menubar) # Panels # The first panel holds the video and it's all black self.videopanel = wx.Panel(self, -1) self.videopanel.SetBackgroundColour(wx.BLACK) # The second panel holds controls ctrlpanel = wx.Panel(self, -1 ) self.timeslider = wx.Slider(ctrlpanel, -1, 0, 0, 1000) self.timeslider.SetRange(0, 1000) pause = wx.Button(ctrlpanel, label="Pause") play = wx.Button(ctrlpanel, label="Play") stop = wx.Button(ctrlpanel, label="Stop") volume = wx.Button(ctrlpanel, label="Volume") self.volslider = wx.Slider(ctrlpanel, -1, 0, 0, 100, size=(100, -1)) # Bind controls to events self.Bind(wx.EVT_BUTTON, self.OnPlay, play) self.Bind(wx.EVT_BUTTON, self.OnPause, pause) self.Bind(wx.EVT_BUTTON, self.OnStop, stop) self.Bind(wx.EVT_BUTTON, self.OnToggleVolume, volume) self.Bind(wx.EVT_SLIDER, self.OnSetVolume, self.volslider) # Give a pretty layout to the controls ctrlbox = wx.BoxSizer(wx.VERTICAL) box1 = wx.BoxSizer(wx.HORIZONTAL) box2 = wx.BoxSizer(wx.HORIZONTAL) # box1 contains the timeslider box1.Add(self.timeslider, 1) # box2 contains some buttons and the volume controls box2.Add(play, flag=wx.RIGHT, border=5) box2.Add(pause) box2.Add(stop) box2.Add((-1, -1), 1) box2.Add(volume) box2.Add(self.volslider, flag=wx.TOP | wx.LEFT, border=5) # Merge box1 and box2 to the ctrlsizer ctrlbox.Add(box1, flag=wx.EXPAND | wx.BOTTOM, border=10) ctrlbox.Add(box2, 1, wx.EXPAND) ctrlpanel.SetSizer(ctrlbox) # Put everything togheter sizer = wx.BoxSizer(wx.VERTICAL) sizer.Add(self.videopanel, 1, flag=wx.EXPAND) sizer.Add(ctrlpanel, flag=wx.EXPAND | wx.BOTTOM | wx.TOP, border=10) self.SetSizer(sizer) self.SetMinSize((350, 300)) # finally create the timer, which updates the timeslider self.timer = wx.Timer(self) self.Bind(wx.EVT_TIMER, self.OnTimer, self.timer) # VLC player controls self.Instance = vlc.Instance() self.player = self.Instance.media_player_new() def OnExit(self, evt): """Closes the window. """ self.Close() def OnOpen(self, evt): """Pop up a new dialow window to choose a file, then play the selected file. """ # if a file is already running, then stop it. self.OnStop(None) # Create a file dialog opened in the current home directory, where # you can display all kind of files, having as title "Choose a file". dlg = wx.FileDialog(self, "Choose a file", user.home, "", "*.*", wx.OPEN) if dlg.ShowModal() == wx.ID_OK: dirname = dlg.GetDirectory() filename = dlg.GetFilename() # Creation self.Media = self.Instance.media_new(unicode(os.path.join(dirname, filename))) self.player.set_media(self.Media) # Report the title of the file chosen title = self.player.get_title() # if an error was encountred while retriving the title, then use # filename if title == -1: title = filename self.SetTitle("%s - wxVLCplayer" % title) # set the window id where to render VLC's video output self.player.set_xwindow(self.videopanel.GetHandle()) # FIXME: this should be made cross-platform self.OnPlay(None) # set the volume slider to the current volume self.volslider.SetValue(self.player.audio_get_volume() / 2) # finally destroy the dialog dlg.Destroy() def OnPlay(self, evt): """Toggle the status to Play/Pause. If no file is loaded, open the dialog window. """ # check if there is a file to play, otherwise open a # wx.FileDialog to select a file if not self.player.get_media(): self.OnOpen(None) else: # Try to launch the media, if this fails display an error message if self.player.play() == -1: self.errorDialog("Unable to play.") else: self.timer.Start() def OnPause(self, evt): """Pause the player. """ self.player.pause() def OnStop(self, evt): """Stop the player. """ self.player.stop() # reset the time slider self.timeslider.SetValue(0) self.timer.Stop() def OnTimer(self, evt): """Update the time slider according to the current movie time. """ # since the self.player.get_length can change while playing, # re-set the timeslider to the correct range. length = self.player.get_length() self.timeslider.SetRange(-1, length) # update the time on the slider time = self.player.get_time() self.timeslider.SetValue(time) def OnToggleVolume(self, evt): """Mute/Unmute according to the audio button. """ is_mute = self.player.audio_get_mute() self.player.audio_set_mute(not is_mute) # update the volume slider; # since vlc volume range is in [0, 200], # and our volume slider has range [0, 100], just divide by 2. self.volslider.SetValue(self.player.audio_get_volume() / 2) def OnSetVolume(self, evt): """Set the volume according to the volume sider. """ volume = self.volslider.GetValue() * 2 # vlc.MediaPlayer.audio_set_volume returns 0 if success, -1 otherwise if self.player.audio_set_volume(volume) == -1: self.errorDialog("Failed to set volume") def errorDialog(self, errormessage): """Display a simple error dialog. """ edialog = wx.MessageDialog(self, errormessage, 'Error', wx.OK| wx.ICON_ERROR) edialog.ShowModal() if __name__ == "__main__": # Create a wx.App(), which handles the windowing system event loop app = wx.PySimpleApp() # Create the window containing our small media player player = Player("Simple PyVLC Player") # show the player window centred and run the application player.Centre() player.Show() app.MainLoop()
and it works fine, but does not render the video, only the audio. also, it gave me this error:

so, the question is: what else, besides the libvlc for python do i need to get it running? i suppose i need some libraries for the video rendering in different formats. Please, if anyone can point me to the rigth direction, it would be very appreciated.

sorry for my poor english.

skuda
New Cone
New Cone

Re: (Python) how to start?

Postby skuda » 27 Jun 2012 09:11

I didn't begin still using libvlc so i can't help you with the code but about the plugin path, seems to have been changed in last versions and now you need to use a environment variable VLC_PLUGIN_PATH pointing to the directory where the VLC plugins reside, usually VLC_ROOT_FOLDER/plugins.

pablopp83
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pablopp83 » 29 Jun 2012 17:11

nice! sorry i did not answer before. im going to try that, i was suspecting somenthing about that plugin path but i could not find any more information. now with this i can go on. thank you.

Demolishun
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Demolishun » 23 Nov 2012 22:31

Number one, if you are running on Windows the example will NOT work out of the box. You have to supply it a valid HWND hand and change the line: self.player.set_xwindow(self.videopanel.GetHandle()) to: self.player.set_hwnd(self.videopanel.GetHandle()). If you don't make this call at all vlc will create its own window.

OlivierAubert
Developer
Developer

Postby OlivierAubert » 10 Dec 2012 15:39

Windows users are welcome to submit tested corrections and improvements to the python bindings examples, so that it benefits the whole community.

Return to “Development around libVLC”