Accessing video stream from a web application

This forum is about all development around libVLC.
vhugo006
New Cone
New Cone

Accessing video stream from a web application

Postby vhugo006 » 06 Dec 2013 14:00

I need to access a video stream from a web application. I've done some initial tests to capture the stream from a swing application, but not yet visualized how will I manage to capture in a web browser (HTML page).

Could help me understand this way from the VLCJ?
Last edited by vhugo006 on 06 Dec 2013 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

vhugo006
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Accessing video stream from a web application

Postby vhugo006 » 06 Dec 2013 14:01

I'm using RTSP e HTTP to access a DVR device.

sherington
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Accessing video stream from a web application

Postby sherington » 06 Dec 2013 18:41

I'm not quite sure if this is what you're asking, but if you want to use vlcj to display your video inside an HTML page, then you need to consider an applet or Java WebStart application.

You have to package your applet with all the dependencies, sign the package using a certificate, and deploy it to your web-server.

If you are not going to ship the vlc shared libraries with your applet, then you of course need to make sure your end users have vlc installed.

Otherwise you do need to ship the vlc shared libraries with your applet, for each operating system you want to support, and then unpack those libraries when your applet first runs.

This is all possible, I have done it, but it's very tedious and quite complicated to get it all working, and especially difficult to get a good development compile-deploy-test-debug cycle going.

You can use maven to help you automate most of this, but be prepared for some headaches.

On the positive side, once you have this working, you can even script the media player by using Javascript in the web page - it's pretty nifty when you get it all working.

I wouldn't really recommend it, and I am not sure this is the best way if you want vlc in a web browser, maybe the vlc web plugin is a better idea.

Return to “Development around libVLC”