Issues with compiling VLC 1.2 on Windows XP/MSYS

This forum is about all development around libVLC.
gnosygnu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Issues with compiling VLC 1.2 on Windows XP/MSYS

Postby gnosygnu » 23 Jul 2012 18:07

Hi all. I spent some time yesterday trying to compile VLC 1.2 on my Windows XP machine. I used the VLC 2.0.3 source tar and followed the guide in http://wiki.videolan.org/Win32CompileMSYS, but still ran into several issues. After much debugging, I managed to get it working on my machine. I want to update the wiki with "correct" instructions, but I'd like someone else to review, especially since this is an area in which I am admittedly inexperienced.

I list all issues below. If anyone can confirm/correct, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
  • "make prebuilt" fails with tar error

Code: Select all

tar: i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libdts.a: Cannot create symlink to `/home/jb/vlc-2.0/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libdca.a': No such file or directory tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors make: *** [prebuilt] Error 2
According to the wiki, this is normal. I'm just listing it here b/c of the next issues.
  • "stat" errors for i586-pc-something

$ mv i586-pc-something .. $ cd ../i586-pc-something $ change_prefix.sh
This looks like a typo. Instead of "i586-pc-something", it should be "i586-mingw32msvc". I will update this accordingly.

There is one thing I want to confirm though. After the above executes, the contrib directory will be C:\msys\1.0\home\gnosygnu\vlc\contrib\i586-mingw32msvc. This differs from 1.1 wherein the contrib directory ended up in C:\msys\1.0\win32.
  • "change_prefix.sh" reports Permission denied error

mv: cannot move `./change_prefix.sh.tmp' to `./change_prefix.sh': Permission denied
This appears to be harmless. The script continues to execute afterwards. Note for others: there will be no status updates for a few minutes, so it may appear frozen. Don't Ctrl-Break.
  • "Bootstrap" section fails for "cp -v /usr/win32/share/aclocal/* m4/"

cp: cannot stat `/usr/win32/share/aclocal/*': No such file or directory
This may be a relic from the 1.1 process. I don't have a win32 directory (C:\msys\1.0\win32 does not exist). I believe this line should be removed.
  • "Bootstrap" section omits "bootstrap"
This may be obvious to others, but there should be a 4th line in the "Bootstrap" section that explicitly says to run "bootstrap". Otherwise the configure process will fail.
  • configure fails with "Could not find lua"

configure: error: Could not find lua. Lua is needed for some interfaces (rc, telnet, http) as well as many other custom scripts. Use --disable-lua to ignore this error.
This took me a while to figure out, and I'm not sure if it is correct. I tried to do disable-lua, but then ended up running into errors with live555 and mad. I added --disable-live555 and --disable-mad, but then got libfaad errors.

Eventually I realized that it was not seeing my contribs. As I indicated above, they are in C:\msys\1.0\home\gnosygnu\vlc\contrib\i586-mingw32msvc. In order for configure to pick up the location, I added a --with-contrib=contrib/i586-mingw32msvc

sh extras/package/win32/configure.sh --host=i586-pc-mingw32msvc --with-contrib=contrib/i586-mingw32msvc --disable-nls
configure then completed without any errors.
  • make fails b/c of missing libpng files

/bin/sed: can't read /home/gnosygnu/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpng.la: No such file or directory libtool: link: `/home/gnosygnu/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpng.la' is not a valid libtool archive
There were no libpng.la or libpng.a files, but there were libpng15.la and libpng15.a ones. I copied these files and renamed them accordingly and was able to proceed.
  • make fails b/c of missing commands for moc, rcc, uic

/bin/sh: moc: command not found make[5]: *** [main_interface.moc.cpp] Error 127 /bin/sh: rcc: command not found make[5]: *** [resources.cpp] Error 127 /bin/sh: uic: command not found make[5]: *** [ui/equalizer.h] Error 127
I sequentially got each of the above after running "PATH=/usr/win32/bin:$PATH make". I resolved each by copying the corresponding command.exe from the contrib directory to my bin directory

source: C:\msys\1.0\home\gnosygnu\vlc\contrib\i586-mingw32msvc\moc.exe target: C:\msys\1.0\bin\moc.exe
Again, this may be an issue with how the contribs were set up above.
  • make fails with compile error in gui/qt with "expected unqualified-id before 'char'"

In file included from dialogs_provider.cpp:42:0: dialogs/preferences.hpp: At global scope: dialogs/preferences.hpp:72:19: error: expected unqualified-id before 'char' dialogs/preferences.hpp:72:18: error: expected ';' at end of member declaration dialogs/preferences.hpp:72:24: error: expected unqualified-id before ',' token
After some searching I found the following thread, viewtopic.php?f=14&t=102257. SENCO's suggestion works on my machine.
Explicitly, I did the following
- opened up C:\msys\1.0\home\gnosygnu\vlc\include\vlc_windows_interfaces.h
- added "#undef small" on a new line directly underneath "#include <objbase.h>"
  • make package-win32-base does not exist

make: *** No rule to make target `package-win32-base'. Stop.
I checked the Makefile and there is no rule. I ended up running package-win32-exe
  • make package-win32-exe fails due to misssing commands for git, svn, makensis

git clone git://git.videolan.org/npapi-vlc.git npapi-vlc make: git: Command not found etc...
I copied the git.exe from my Git installation to C:\msys\1.0\bin\. For svn, I copied over the entire bin folder from http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.7.x/CHANGES.
For makensis I got tired and ended up commenting the lines in Makefile

# Create package # if makensis -VERSION >/dev/null 2>&1; then \ # MAKENSIS="makensis"; \ # elif [ -x "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/NSIS/makensis" ]; then \ # MAKENSIS="/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/NSIS/makensis"; \ # elif [ -x "$(PROGRAMFILES)/NSIS/makensis" ]; then \ # MAKENSIS="$(PROGRAMFILES)/NSIS/makensis"; \ # elif wine --version >/dev/null 2>&1; then \ # MAKENSIS="wine C:/Program\ Files/NSIS/makensis.exe"; \ # else \ # echo 'Error: cannot locate makensis tool'; exit 1; \ # fi; \ # eval "$$MAKENSIS $(win32_destdir)/spad.nsi"; \ # eval "$$MAKENSIS $(win32_destdir)/vlc.win32.nsi"

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Issues with compiling VLC 1.2 on Windows XP/MSYS

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 27 Jul 2012 17:25

This looks like a typo. Instead of "i586-pc-something", it should be "i586-mingw32msvc". I will update this accordingly.
i586-mingw32msvc is a i586-pc-something :)

There is one thing I want to confirm though. After the above executes, the contrib directory will be C:\msys\1.0\home\gnosygnu\vlc\contrib\i586-mingw32msvc. This differs from 1.1 wherein the contrib directory ended up in C:\msys\1.0\win32.
Indeed, this allows one contrib per VLC version.
  • "Bootstrap" section fails for "cp -v /usr/win32/share/aclocal/* m4/"

cp: cannot stat `/usr/win32/share/aclocal/*': No such file or directory
This may be a relic from the 1.1 process. I don't have a win32 directory (C:\msys\1.0\win32 does not exist). I believe this line should be removed.
Probably.
  • "Bootstrap" section omits "bootstrap"
This may be obvious to others, but there should be a 4th line in the "Bootstrap" section that explicitly says to run "bootstrap". Otherwise the configure process will fail.
Yes.
  • configure fails with "Could not find lua"

configure: error: Could not find lua. Lua is needed for some interfaces (rc, telnet, http) as well as many other custom scripts. Use --disable-lua to ignore this error.
This took me a while to figure out, and I'm not sure if it is correct. I tried to do disable-lua, but then ended up running into errors with live555 and mad. I added --disable-live555 and --disable-mad, but then got libfaad errors.

Eventually I realized that it was not seeing my contribs. As I indicated above, they are in C:\msys\1.0\home\gnosygnu\vlc\contrib\i586-mingw32msvc. In order for configure to pick up the location, I added a --with-contrib=contrib/i586-mingw32msvc

sh extras/package/win32/configure.sh --host=i586-pc-mingw32msvc --with-contrib=contrib/i586-mingw32msvc --disable-nls
configure then completed without any errors.
This is not normal. it works for me. But feel free to update the wiki.
  • make fails b/c of missing libpng files

/bin/sed: can't read /home/gnosygnu/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpng.la: No such file or directory libtool: link: `/home/gnosygnu/vlc/contrib/i586-mingw32msvc/lib/libpng.la' is not a valid libtool archive
There were no libpng.la or libpng.a files, but there were libpng15.la and libpng15.a ones. I copied these files and renamed them accordingly and was able to proceed.
  • make fails b/c of missing commands for moc, rcc, uic

/bin/sh: moc: command not found make[5]: *** [main_interface.moc.cpp] Error 127 /bin/sh: rcc: command not found make[5]: *** [resources.cpp] Error 127 /bin/sh: uic: command not found make[5]: *** [ui/equalizer.h] Error 127
I sequentially got each of the above after running "PATH=/usr/win32/bin:$PATH make". I resolved each by copying the corresponding command.exe from the contrib directory to my bin directory

source: C:\msys\1.0\home\gnosygnu\vlc\contrib\i586-mingw32msvc\moc.exe target: C:\msys\1.0\bin\moc.exe
No, this should just work and take moc from contribs/.../bin/
  • make fails with compile error in gui/qt with "expected unqualified-id before 'char'"

In file included from dialogs_provider.cpp:42:0: dialogs/preferences.hpp: At global scope: dialogs/preferences.hpp:72:19: error: expected unqualified-id before 'char' dialogs/preferences.hpp:72:18: error: expected ';' at end of member declaration dialogs/preferences.hpp:72:24: error: expected unqualified-id before ',' token
After some searching I found the following thread, viewtopic.php?f=14&t=102257. SENCO's suggestion works on my machine.
Explicitly, I did the following
- opened up C:\msys\1.0\home\gnosygnu\vlc\include\vlc_windows_interfaces.h
- added "#undef small" on a new line directly underneath "#include <objbase.h>"
Yep.

• make package-win32-base does not exist

make: *** No rule to make target `package-win32-base'. Stop.
I checked the Makefile and there is no rule. I ended up running package-win32-exe
or make package-win-base or -common
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

gnosygnu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gnosygnu » 29 Jul 2012 05:31

Okay. Thanks for the confirmation. I agree with your points above. However, I do want to expand on the following:

In order for configure to pick up the location, I added a --with-contrib=contrib/i586-mingw32msvc

This is not normal. it works for me. But feel free to update the wiki.
I was able to repeat it though. I deleted my old 1.1 installation and finally got 1.2 working by doing the above. Then I deleted 1.2 again and walked through the steps before starting this thread.

The only thing I can think of is that I used a non-standard path location for my installation. Instead of C:\msys\1.0, I used something like C:\dev\msys\1.0. If I do it a 3rd time, I'll try again with C:\msys\1.0.

At any rate, I made some minor changes to the main Win32CompileMSYSNew and dumped the rest of the detail in Win32CompileMSYSTroubleShooting. Hopefully it will help someone else.

Thanks again for the help.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 31 Jul 2012 01:09

Cool.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “Development around libVLC”