vlc not working with two network cards !

This forum is about all development around libVLC.
hussam_2000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

vlc not working with two network cards !

Postby hussam_2000 » 21 Oct 2011 17:53

I'm using vlc 1.9 dll in my c# application. The computer has two netowork cards and vlc won't decode my H.264 stream that is coming on one for the network cards. Once I disconnect the other card then vlc works just fine. How can I bind vlc to a specific network card on my system . Thank you

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: vlc not working with two network cards !

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 21 Oct 2011 22:22

That's too vague to answer. But in general, reception is under the control of the TCP/IP stack, VLC does not decide what interface to use. In other words, you will need to tweak your TCP/IP stack settings, and the details depend on your operating systems.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

hussam_2000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hussam_2000 » 22 Oct 2011 01:18

thank you for the reply and sorry for the vagueness. Here is the full information:
I made a C# wrapper for VLC 1.9 dll to use in my application to decode H.264 stream from a hardware encoder. initially i was testing my application on a PC machine running Windows 7 with one network card connected to a network with the encoder on the same network. everything worked well until I moved my application to a windows XP machine with two network cards connected to two different networks. one of the networks is connected to the video hardware encoder. so when I ran my application , nothing happened. however, once i disconnected the other network that I'm not using , everything worked just fine.

so what do you think i should do ? both network cards must be connected at all times to this XP machine . is it OS configuration issue or is it VLC ?

thank you

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 22 Oct 2011 12:56

As I already wrote, on the RECEIVING side, it is fully a matter of OS configuration.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

eclectice
New Cone
New Cone

Postby eclectice » 22 Oct 2011 17:03

Windows XP may get confused with default gateway from time to time under a multihomed network setup. You can check this with "route print" from command prompt. If the default gateway value is not from the correct subnet, then you need to do something below:

You need to tweak your Windows XP network interfaces so that it chooses the right interface that you really want to use first before other interfaces. Open Network Connections panel. Click Advanced menu from the menu bar and select Advanced Settings menu option. In Advanced Settings dialog box, it will list all connections (physical and virtual network interfaces). Reorder the list so that the first item at the top will be the one with the correct subnet.

To make the default route persistent, you add see "route help add" and submit something like below example but with your own values...

Code: Select all

route -f -p ADD 157.0.0.0 MASK 255.0.0.0 157.55.80.1 METRIC 3 IF 2
If it is too challenging for you, you can do the same with Net Route Viewer from http://www.nirsoft.net

hussam_2000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hussam_2000 » 22 Oct 2011 20:22

Thank u for the reply . I will go ahead and try that and get back with u. Thanks :)

Return to “Development around libVLC”