reading player stats from VLC

This forum is about all development around libVLC.
sirbow2
New Cone
New Cone

reading player stats from VLC

Postby sirbow2 » 11 Sep 2011 20:21

hello,
im working on a C# application that reads from shared memory and then sends the data to an arduino about time, elapsed, name etc to be displayed on an character LCD. i already have done similar to get PC temps and send them to arduino, now i was trying to get vlc stats when playing a movie or song. does VLC put this info(time elapsed etc) in shared memory where i can access it?

the code below is part of what i used for the pc temps shared memory C# app. it gets all of the shared memory(which is formatted as xml) and writes to string. then some other code(not below) takes that string and reads the xml like file and spits out values.

Code: Select all

using (var file = MemoryMappedFile.OpenExisting("AIDA64_SensorValues")) { using (var readerz = file.CreateViewAccessor(0, 0)) { var bytes = new byte[195]; var encoding = Encoding.ASCII; readerz.ReadArray<byte>(0, bytes, 0, bytes.Length); StringReader stringz = new StringReader(encoding.GetString(bytes));
so what im asking is:
does vlc use shared memory?
If so, what is the VLC shared memory address name?
and If so, how does vlc store this info in shared memory?

thanks!

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: reading player stats from VLC

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 12 Sep 2011 00:18

I don't understand what you're asking.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

sirbow2
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sirbow2 » 12 Sep 2011 00:21

memory mapped files, i assume you know what they are. in mmap setting in VLC, but that is for a video cache not the actual video info like time title etc.

what is the name/address of it? like in the code i posted above it is: Aida64_Sensorvalues

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 12 Sep 2011 02:58

VLC does not support memory mapping because it is useless - in the context of playing files that is. So I still don't understand your question.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

sirbow2
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sirbow2 » 12 Sep 2011 03:55

alright then, i did not know that. umm so then my new question:
how can i access the stats( time, title, elapsed etc) in a readable format(like xml, txt or something etc) of the currently open video in VLC through a C# application?

would you recommend something like a wrapper: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/audio-video/nVLC.aspx?

Return to “Development around libVLC”