controlling VlcMediaPlayer instance using oldrc interface

This forum is about all development around libVLC.
Zingaro2002
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

controlling VlcMediaPlayer instance using oldrc interface

Postby Zingaro2002 » 13 Sep 2010 18:36

Hi!
I am developing an application in VB.net 2005 using libvlc.dll and following this article
http://www.helyar.net/2009/libvlc-media-player-in-c/
(I updated it and modified it to work with vb.net and VLC 1.1.4; by the way: THANKS George Helyar!!!)

I am able to have a VlcMediaPlayer instance inside a panel (or a picturebox) in my form; it can open and play a network stream.
Now I want to control it using rc interface (oldrc).
I have used "--extraintf", "oldrc","--rc-host=192.168.0.188:9292", "--rc-quiet",
as arguments in libvlc_new.
The rc interface starts; I can connect to it (with hyperterminal) but when I try to start the network stream it is played on a new different window (hardware YUV overlay DirectX output), and my panel stays empty.
If I open the stream using my VlcMediaPlayer instance then I cannot control it using rc commands (if I type "info" it answers "no input").
-------
I also tried using libvlc_add_intf(...,...) without putting those "--extraintf", "oldrc" args in libvlc_new.
The behaviour is identical!

Can someone tell me, please, if it is possible to use oldrc interface to control VlcMediaPlayer instance created with libvlc.dll?
I mean: is it possible to have another interface (I need oldrc) linked to the SAME VlcMediaPlayer instance?

If not, why the hell there is libvlc_add_intf function? It is useless...

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: controlling VlcMediaPlayer instance using oldrc interfac

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 14 Sep 2010 03:46

No. No. And it is very useful because VLC itself uses that function.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Zingaro2002
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Zingaro2002 » 14 Sep 2010 10:17

Why not?
ehm... I don't mean libvlc_add_intf is useless in general, but, as far as I can understand, it's useless inside a VlcMediaPlayer instance that uses libvlc.dll (I mean inside an external application).
I'll try to be clearer: in which scenarios can I use libvlc_add_intf? How can an extra interface be used inside an external application that uses libvlc.dll?
And it is very useful because VLC itself uses that function.
OK, so why does it work correctly inside VlcMediaPlayer and doesn't work when we use libvlc.dll inside an external application?

Anyway thanks for your answer (maybe next time try a little bit to add also some explanation to your "No. No." :) :) or I'll always be bound to reply: "why not?")

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 15 Sep 2010 03:33

It works fine in an external application. It simply does not do what you think it would.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

Zingaro2002
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Zingaro2002 » 15 Sep 2010 11:19

ok, maybe I misunderstood the meaning of words "remote control".
If I can't "control" my instance (created with libvlc.dll inside my vb.net application) using a remote control interface... what can I do with it?

Can you show me, please, some examples (I don't need source code; a simple sample-scenario is enough).

If I can control another instance (not linked to the one I created with libvlc.dll inside my vb.net application) why do I have to specify it with libvlc_add_intf function?

anyway, thanks again for your answers.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 16 Sep 2010 03:03

The RC interface is just the historical name of the CLI. It's named that way because it's mostly used by ad-hoc scripts controlling VLC, often through the network.

You will note that an "instance" (libvlc_instance_t) is NOT a "player" (libvlc_player_t).
Rémi Denis-Courmont

Return to “Development around libVLC”