C# and vmem - what's wrong with this code?

This forum is about all development around libVLC.
am70
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

C# and vmem - what's wrong with this code?

Postby am70 » 23 Aug 2010 13:26

I'm attempting to write a small C# class that will return a WriteableBitmap that's hooked to the output of a VLC instance via vmem. VLC starts up, calls the dolock() function once, then immediately crashes reporting an error in libswscale_plugin.dll.

Here's the relevant code:

Code: Select all

static class render { static Dispatcher dispatcher = Dispatcher.CurrentDispatcher; [UnmanagedFunctionPointer(CallingConvention.Cdecl)] unsafe delegate IntPtr CLock(IntPtr ctx); [UnmanagedFunctionPointer(CallingConvention.Cdecl)] unsafe delegate void CUnLock(IntPtr ctx); static CLock _lock; static CUnLock _unlock; static IntPtr pix_ptr; static WriteableBitmap wbmp; static int _w, _h; static VideoLanClient Vlc; static VlcMediaPlayer VlcPlayer; public static BitmapSource start(string mrl, int w, int h) { _w = w; _h = h; wbmp = new WriteableBitmap(_w, _h, 96, 96, PixelFormats.Bgr32, null); pix_ptr = Marshal.AllocHGlobal(_w * _h * 4); _lock += do_lock; _unlock += do_unlock; string path = System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location); string[] args = new string[] { @"--vout=vmem", @"--vmem-width=" + _w.ToString(), @"--vmem-height=" + _h.ToString(), @"--vmem-pitch=" + (_w * 4).ToString(), @"--vmem-chroma=RV32", @"--vmem-lock=" + Marshal.GetFunctionPointerForDelegate(_lock).ToInt32().ToString(), @"--vmem-unlock=" + Marshal.GetFunctionPointerForDelegate(_unlock).ToInt32().ToString(), @"--vmem-data=" + pix_ptr.ToInt32().ToString() }; Vlc = new VideoLanClient(path, args); VlcPlayer = Vlc.NewMediaPlayer(IntPtr.Zero); VlcMedia desc = Vlc.NewMedia(mrl); VlcPlayer.Load(desc); desc.Dispose(); VlcPlayer.Play(); return wbmp; } static IntPtr do_lock(IntPtr ctx) { return ctx; } static void do_unlock(IntPtr ctx) { dispatcher.Invoke(DispatcherPriority.Render, new Action(delegate() { wbmp.WritePixels(new System.Windows.Int32Rect(0, 0, _w, _h), ctx, wbmp.BackBufferStride, 0); })); } }
If I remove the vmem command-line argument, the file plays just fine in a desktop window.

What am I doing wrong?? Is there someone here who has successfully done this that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: C# and vmem - what's wrong with this code?

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 23 Aug 2010 19:30

It's crashing because you're not correct functions pointers or video memory pointers.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

am70
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby am70 » 24 Aug 2010 02:40

It's crashing because you're not correct functions pointers or video memory pointers.
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not fluent in C++, so most of the sample code is useless to me. It seems my understanding of how this works is incorrect, conceptually.

Can you explain specifically what I'm doing incorrectly?

1. Allocate a video buffer where size = width * height * bytes per pixel;
2. Pass a pointer to the buffer to VLC using the vmem-data argument;
3. Pass pointers to my lock and unlock functions to VLC using the vmem-lock and vmem-unlock arguments;
4. When a video frame is about to be decoded, VLC calls my lock function with a pointer to the buffer (from vmem-data);
5. I return the same pointer back to VLC (because my data structure is only video memory, no other fields);
6. VLC renders the video frame into the buffer;
7. VLC calls my unlock function which displays the image.

From debugging I know that:

1. VLC is calling my lock function as expected;
2. The pointer that VLC is passing to the lock function is the same as the pointer passed via vmem-data.

I'm reasonably confident that at least this part is correct. So what is it exactly that VLC expects that I'm not giving it?

Thanks for your help.

am70
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby am70 » 24 Aug 2010 08:40

Actually it turns out my code was fine. It works fine with 0.9.9, but produces the libswscale_plugin crash with 1.0.x.

Does anyone have a clue why this might be?

Return to “Development around libVLC”