is there any libVlc 1.1 .Net C# wrapper?

This forum is about all development around libVLC.
OleJak
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

is there any libVlc 1.1 .Net C# wrapper?

Postby OleJak » 14 May 2010 02:07

is there any libVlc 1.1 .Net C# wrapper? I need It. please... Where to find it (and will it let me use "imem" feature?)

SteveRicketts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: is there any libVlc 1.1 .Net C# wrapper?

Postby SteveRicketts » 14 May 2010 20:18

I'll second... and third this request! I don't know if it's the gazillion posts I've read on libvlcnet, videolan.interop, or c# wrappers, but I'm WAY confused as to which approach I should be taking to use VLC in a .Net environment. Unfortunately, on top of that, I need it to work in Mono. If anyone can give us some direction, we'd greatly appreciate it! I promise to post the entire code once it's working to help anyone else trying to do the same thing.

SteveRicketts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SteveRicketts » 16 May 2010 00:01

I've just been on the following site: https://sourceforge.net/projects/libvlcnet/. Looks like there was an update 14 days ago and the project has been revived. I've put in an e-mail to the project administrator "razr" and am waiting for a reply. I downloaded the tarball from the svn location http://libvlcnet.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/libvlcnet/, (project files are old) and tried to compile the solution. Had a couple of errors that I'm trying to find out what they're about. But at least there finally seems to be some activity somewhere! Holding my breath! ;-)

If anyone has any success here, please post on this forum so we can all benefit.

Steve

imsunburnt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby imsunburnt » 16 May 2010 07:32

I have downloaded the .NET project and built it OK. I would like to input the video content from memory. I am pulling the live video data from another application (XVID raw bytes) and would like to feed them to the VLC player via a memory stream. Is this possible - using imem - and can you use imem in the .NET solution?
P.S. the raw XVID bytes saved to a file plays just fine in VLC.

Also, is there another approach to feed the live video bytes (which I must pull from another app) into VLC? I have tried using named pipes on Windows but had no success.

SteveRicketts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SteveRicketts » 16 May 2010 13:09

You were able to run the simple player? Are you on Windows or Linux? I'm trying to do this in MonoDevelop on openSUSE.

I'm going to need to do the same thing with the raw bytes into VLC. I do it on Windows with another application using both TCP and UDP. Nothing special sending the bytes, but on the receiving side I just build up a buffer with the byte array and use a separate thread to constantly monitor the player status and when the application tells me when it's done playing a segment, I hand it another from the buffer.

imsunburnt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby imsunburnt » 16 May 2010 15:28

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I am able to run simple player. I am running on Windows XP SP2, using Visual Studio 2008. I am able to build the solution and run the simple player.

Can you explain some more about your Windows receiving application? I may be able to solve my needs using a similar approach. I guess the info that would help would be: monitoring the player status, and, particularly, how to hand it a segment from the buffer.

What I am trying to do is retrieve frame data from the AverMedia DVR6000 application (which I can do over a socket, I have to pull the frames) and then feed the bytes to an embedded VLC control in a a .NET app.

SteveRicketts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SteveRicketts » 16 May 2010 22:32

Humm... I'm able to build the simple player now but when I hit the Initialize() statement it just stops. :-(

What I'm doing on Windows may not help you much. I'm not using VLC there, although I'd like to. But anyway, here's what I'm doing for what it's worth...

On my Windows app (and someday Linux) I'm actually using a 3rd party ActiveX control (Banasoft) to capture the audio/video in GSM/MPEG42 from the web cam or mic/wireless remote (later on that) into a byte array. Then I send it via IP (TCP or UDP depending on who wants it). On the receiving side, regardless of TCP or UDP, I just add the byte array to the end of a buffer. A separate thread monitors the buffer and when there's data in it, it grabs the appropriate packet size and renders it to the speakers and video player. I actually send audio via one port and video another (4 ports total for the TCP/UDP).

Currently on Linux, I'm capturing audio from a wireless remote control that sends an RF signal to a USB receiver. Input from the remote is in PCM format, so I convert it to GSM with C# bindings to GStreamer. Then I'm able to send the GSM byte array via TCP/UDP to an audio server that plays the remote audio. Same sort of thing here... I'm putting the incoming byte array audio into a buffer and have a thread monitoring the buffer and playing the audio on the speakers.

So, so put us back on this thread...

My intent is to do a similar thing with VLC, but as yet I haven't been able to even play a file from C# with VLC. As soon as I'm able to do that, I'll move on to trying to play an rtmp stream, and then capture audio/video to a byte array, send it via IP, and play it on a remote player. Seems SOOOO far away at the moment when I can't even play a file! ;-) If you're ever have the notion to play a file using C#/VLC, I'd dearly love to see how you did it.

sr

Return to “Development around libVLC”