Editing VLC Source Code

This forum is about all development around libVLC.
medha
New Cone
New Cone

Editing VLC Source Code

Postby medha » 07 Apr 2009 07:35

HI All,
I am Medha and new to this forum.
I dont know, whether i can post this question here or not, if not -- sorry for that and please let me know, where can i post the same..

Coming to the question,
We are developing a player engine which parses Mpeg-TS and does AvSync Calculations and push the data to decoders. But to test the code, we dont have hardware support as of now..
So i want to know whether i can use open soure player - VLC -- Where
(1) Replace the AvSync logic of player with our AvSync logic
(2) Should be able to decode H.264 and AAC data
(3) Need GUI -- Displaying the decoded data

If VLC can be used, which portions i need to refer in the source code -- I tried to go through the source code, but it is vey huge and didnot understand anything about it..

I tried to compile the VLC Code on Windows but its giving errors -- Couldnot find libmad on your system

How can i rectify that compile VLC and modify based on our requirements..

Thanks in advance..
Medha

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Editing VLC Source Code

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Apr 2009 09:58

Install the contribs to compile VLC on windows.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

ipmultimedia
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ipmultimedia » 11 Apr 2009 06:24

hi all
we want to understand and edit vlc source code.
we don't know where is the start of it in code.
please help us.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 11 Apr 2009 11:17

The "start" is bin/vlc.c or bin/winvlc.c depending on the platform.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Eusebiu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Eusebiu » 17 Feb 2010 13:43

Hi all...

I am not editing the source yet but I have the same problem... :) and I followed these steps: http://wiki.videolan.org/Win32CompileMSYS
so... I've installed MinGW, Msys and downloaded the source of VLC and pre-compiled contribs. The contribs tar ball I've put it in the root (that is actually C:\Msys\1.0) and execute: (in the tutorial, it says "Copy them in your ~"... is this the root of Msys? or VLC source code?)

Code: Select all

tar xvjf contrib-20100214-win32-bin-gcc-4.4.2-runtime-3.17-only.tar.bz2 -C / rm -v /usr/win32/bin/moc /usr/win32/bin/uic /usr/win32/bin/rcc
It created the win32 folder in C:\Msys\1.0 and I thought that is enought.

After Bootstrap VLC (which gave me this error: ./bootstrap: /bin/autoreconf: /bin/perl: bad interpreter: No such file or directory there is no perl requirement in that tutorial), I tried to configure. The file extras/package/win32/configure-msys.sh was not there so I've entered inside the VLC source code root (that is in Msys /c/vlc-1.0.5 or C:\vlc-1.0.5) and execute ./configure.
After a while, I got this error:

configure: WARNING: only static linking is available, you must provide a gme-tre e checking mad.h usability... no checking mad.h presence... no checking for mad.h... no configure: error: Could not find libmad on your system: you may get it from http://www.underbit.com/products/mad/. Alternatively you can use --disable-mad to disable the mad plugin.
I looked over for libmad and I found it inside C:\msys\1.0\win32\lib as libmad.a and libmad.al.

What am I missing?

Thanks. :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Feb 2010 16:40

Take the configure-msys.sh from Git.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

x_tine
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 1.0.5
Operating System: Windows

Postby x_tine » 09 Mar 2010 09:32

hi everyone,

i also want to edit vlc but before that i have to understand how to build it.

I really don't know where else to go to look for the answer except here. So i'm hoping someone can help me.

I'm a newbie on the msys/mingw environment.
Through with bootstrapped thanks to j-b.

but stuck on configure:
error on last line:

$ sh extras/package/win32/configure-msys.sh configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --enable-merge-ffmpeg, --disable-sqlit e, --enable-peflags checking build system type... i386-pc-linux-gnu checking host system type... i586-pc-mingw32msvc checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c checking whether build environment is sane... yes checking for i586-mingw32msvc-strip... no checking for strip... strip configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p checking for gawk... gawk checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes checking how to create a ustar tar archive... gnutar checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... yes checking for style of include used by make... GNU checking for i586-mingw32msvc-gcc... gcc checking for C compiler default output file name... a.exe checking whether the C compiler works... yes checking whether we are cross compiling... yes checking for suffix of executables... .exe checking for suffix of object files... o checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3 checking for gcc option to accept ISO C99... -std=gnu99 checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -std=gnu99 -E checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E checking for ANSI C header files... yes checking for sys/types.h... yes checking for sys/stat.h... yes checking for stdlib.h... yes checking for string.h... yes checking for memory.h... yes checking for strings.h... yes checking for inttypes.h... yes checking for stdint.h... yes checking for unistd.h... yes checking minix/config.h usability... no checking minix/config.h presence... no checking for minix/config.h... no checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes checking whether gcc -std=gnu99 and cc understand -c and -o together... yes checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no checking whether g++ accepts -g... no checking dependency style of g++... none checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -std=gnu99 -E checking for i586-mingw32msvc-gcc... no checking for i586-mingw32msvc-objcc... no checking for i586-mingw32msvc-objc... no checking for i586-mingw32msvc-cc... no checking for i586-mingw32msvc-CC... no checking for gcc... gcc checking whether we are using the GNU Objective C compiler... no checking whether gcc accepts -g... no checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3 checking dependency style of gcc... (cached) gcc3 checking for egrep... (cached) /bin/grep -E checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c checking dependency style of gcc -std=gnu99... gcc3 checking for i586-mingw32msvc-ranlib... no checking for ranlib... ranlib checking for i586-mingw32msvc-strip... strip checking for i586-mingw32msvc-ar... no checking for ar... ar checking for i586-mingw32msvc-ld... no checking for ld... ld checking for i586-mingw32msvc-dlltool... no checking for dlltool... dlltool checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes checking for inline... inline checking for C/C++ restrict keyword... __restrict checking for i586-mingw32msvc-windres... no checking for windres... windres checking for i586-mingw32msvc-objcopy... no checking for objcopy... objcopy ./configure: line 9567: syntax error near unexpected token `build_old_libs,' ./configure: line 9567: ` _LT_DECL(build_old_libs, enable_static, 0,'
do i have to edit something? or is any of my tools are outdated? :?:

x_tine
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby x_tine » 09 Mar 2010 13:07

ok answered my previous problem. but got another problem.

configure: error: required OLE headers are missing from your system.

sum_agg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sum_agg » 18 Mar 2010 06:16

Please check the version of gcc and g++ using "gcc --version". Updating to gcc 4.5 and g++ 4.5 should solve this issue.

x_tine
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby x_tine » 06 Apr 2010 14:32

i didnt know what was wrong. I restarted the whole thing and came out okay. Thanks for the reply :D

buatcintaku
New Cone
New Cone

Postby buatcintaku » 27 Apr 2010 09:41

if i want to add codec

where codec is placed to??
what extension for the codec??

if i want to create new media player with c++ on visual studio and i use the libvlc, what the extension of libvlc can be used?

thanks
sorry my english is bad

bingo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bingo » 01 Dec 2010 12:22

[quote="x_tine"]hi everyone,

i also want to edit vlc but before that i have to understand how to build it.

I really don't know where else to go to look for the answer except here. So i'm hoping someone can help me.

I'm a newbie on the msys/mingw environment.
Through with bootstrapped thanks to j-b.

Hi ,

How u got through with bootsrap in VLC code

when I did the ./bootstrap
++ dirname ./bootstrap
+ cd .
+ ACLOCAL_ARGS='-I m4 '
+ test -d extras/contrib/build/bin
++ uname -s
+ test .MINGW32_NT-5.1 = .Darwin
+ pkg-config --version
+ PKGCONFIG=no
+ export AUTOPOINT
+ test ''
+ AUTOPOINT=autopoint
+ autopoint --dry-run --force
+ AUTOPOINT=true
+ echo
+ set +x
generating modules/**/Makefile.am
+ echo
+ echo
+ cp -f INSTALL INSTALL.git
+ autoreconf --install --force --verbose -I m4
./bootstrap: /bin/autoreconf: /bin/perl: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

please let me know any configuration am missing, am struck here

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 01 Dec 2010 14:54

You need to install perl and autoreconf
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

bingo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bingo » 02 Dec 2010 19:42

Thanks j-B

bingo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bingo » 06 Dec 2010 17:23

Hi Jean,

I need to compile vlc code 1.0.1 version on mingw and please let me know version of the contrib i.e third party libraries version I need to take, instead of taking the latest version

and please let me any mapping between these vlc version and contribs

bingo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bingo » 06 Dec 2010 17:24

Thanks & Regards
Bingo

Return to “Development around libVLC”