Script for filename and playtime display on video

Discuss your Lua playlist, album art and interface scripts.
Chromatic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Script for filename and playtime display on video

Postby Chromatic » 29 Jun 2013 00:10

I'm sure it is possible, just not sure if anyone has developed a simple script that will display the filename + the current playtime and total time of a video being played at your chosen location on the screen.

Preferably with the ability to adjust the font and color and position it at top left, bottom left (at 0,0) of the screen etc.

This is an example of the type of information I'd like to display:

Of course I'd want to make the font smaller. But, I'm sure pulling the filename (as the OSD can do briefly when the video starts) and the time of the video on screen is very possible with scripting.

I've only found a time script,.. which will work for the time.. but doesn't have a filename display -- and is a little limited on font sizing and positioning. It seems to want to position itself at the relative bottom left , or bottom right, etc of the video not the actual screen. Some video's don't stretch the full horizontal, or vertical length of the stream.

Here is the time script -- maybe it would be easy to work with.. or maybe what I'm looking for is already created, or can easily be written?

Code: Select all

-- time.lua -- VLC extension -- --[[ INSTALLATION: Put the file in the VLC subdir /lua/extensions, by default: * Windows (all users): %ProgramFiles%\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\extensions\ * Windows (current user): %APPDATA%\VLC\lua\extensions\ * Linux (all users): /usr/share/vlc/lua/extensions/ * Linux (current user): ~/.local/share/vlc/lua/extensions/ * Mac OS X (all users): /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/share/lua/extensions/ (create directories if they don't exist) Restart the VLC. Then you simply use the extension by going to the "View" menu and selecting it. --]] -- defaults time_format = "[T]" -- [T]-ime, [O]-ver, [E]-lapsed, [D]-uration, [R]-remaining osd_position = "top-right" -- predefined time format patterns time_formats = {"[T]", "[T] >> [O]", "[E] / [D]", "-[R] / [D]", "-[R] ([T])"} function descriptor() return { title = "Time"; version = "1.0"; author = "lubozle"; url = 'http://addons.videolan.org/content/show.php?content=149618'; shortdesc = "Time displayer"; description = "<div style=\"background-color:lightgreen;\"><b>Time</b> is VLC extension (extension script \"time.lua\") that displays running time on the screen in a playing video.</div>"; capabilities = {"input-listener"} } end function activate() input_callback("add") create_dialog() end function deactivate() input_callback("del") end function close() vlc.deactivate() end function input_changed() input_callback("toggle") end callback=false function input_callback(action) -- action=add/del/toggle if (action=="toggle" and callback==false) then action="add" elseif (action=="toggle" and callback==true) then action="del" end local input = vlc.object.input() if input and callback==false and action=="add" then callback=true vlc.var.add_callback(input, "intf-event", input_events_handler, "Hello world!") elseif input and callback==true and action=="del" then callback=false vlc.var.del_callback(input, "intf-event", input_events_handler, "Hello world!") end end t=0 function input_events_handler(var, old, new, data) tt=os.clock() if tt>=(t+.5) then -- OSD update approximately 2 times per second instead of 4-5 times t=tt --vlc.osd.message(tostring(var)..'\n'..tostring(old)..'\n'..tostring(new)..'\n'..tostring(data)) --local systemTime = os.date("%H:%M:%S") -- reads and formats OS time if time_format~=nil or time_format~="" then osd_output = decode_time_format() vlc.osd.message(osd_output, channel1, osd_position) -- displays time on the screen in a video end --vlc.msg.info(systemTime) end end function decode_time_format() local input = vlc.object.input() local elapsed_time = vlc.var.get(input, "time") --local duration = vlc.var.get(input, "length") local duration = vlc.input.item():duration() local systemHour = os.date("%H") local systemMinute = os.date("%M") local systemSecond = os.date("%S") local elapsedHour = math.floor(elapsed_time / 3600) local elapsedMinute = math.floor((elapsed_time % 3600) / 60) local elapsedSecond = math.floor(elapsed_time % 60) if duration>0 then local durationHour = math.floor(duration / 3600) local durationMinute = math.floor((duration % 3600) / 60) local durationSecond = math.floor(duration % 60) remaining_time = duration - elapsed_time local remainingHour = math.floor(remaining_time / 3600) local remainingMinute = math.floor((remaining_time % 3600) / 60) local remainingSecond = math.floor(remaining_time % 60) local endingSecond = math.floor((systemSecond + remainingSecond) % 60) local endingMinute = math.floor(((systemSecond + remainingSecond) / 60 + (systemMinute + remainingMinute)) % 60) local endingHour = math.floor((((systemSecond + remainingSecond) / 60 + (systemMinute + remainingMinute)) / 60 + systemHour + remainingHour) % 24) duration = string.format("%02d:%02d:%02d", durationHour, durationMinute, durationSecond) remaining_time = string.format("%02d:%02d:%02d", remainingHour, remainingMinute, remainingSecond) ending_time = string.format("%02d:%02d:%02d", endingHour, endingMinute, endingSecond) else duration = "--:--" remaining_time = "--:--" ending_time = "--:--" end local elapsed_time = string.format("%02d:%02d:%02d", elapsedHour, elapsedMinute, elapsedSecond) --local system_time = os.date("%H:%M:%S") local system_time = systemHour..":"..systemMinute..":"..systemSecond local osd_output = string.gsub(time_format, "%[E%]", elapsed_time) local osd_output = string.gsub(osd_output, "%[T%]", system_time) local osd_output = string.gsub(osd_output, "%[D%]", duration) local osd_output = string.gsub(osd_output, "%[R%]", remaining_time) local osd_output = string.gsub(osd_output, "%[O%]", ending_time) return osd_output end function create_dialog() w = vlc.dialog("Time") --w1 = w:add_label("Time format: \\ Position:",1,1,2,1) w1 = w:add_label("<b>Time format:</b>",1,1,1,1) w01 = w:add_label("<b>\\ Position:</b>",2,1,1,1) w2 = w:add_dropdown(3,1,1,1) w2:add_value("top-left", 1) w2:add_value("top", 2) w2:add_value("top-right", 3) w2:add_value("left", 4) w2:add_value("center", 5) w2:add_value("right", 6) w2:add_value("bottom-left", 7) w2:add_value("bottom", 8) w2:add_value("bottom-right", 9) w2:set_text(osd_position) w3 = w:add_text_input(time_format,1,2,3,1) w4 = w:add_dropdown(1,3,2,1) w4:add_value("", 1) for i=1,#time_formats do w4:add_value(time_formats[i], i+1) end w4:set_text("") w10 = w:add_button("START", click_START,1,4,1,1) w11 = w:add_button("STOP", click_STOP,2,4,1,1) w12 = w:add_button(">> PUT^IN", click_PUTIN,3,3,1,1) w13 = w:add_button("HELP", click_HELP,3,4,1,1) end function click_STOP() time_format = "" end function click_START() time_format = w3:get_text() osd_position = w2:get_text() end function click_PUTIN() w3:set_text(w4:get_text()) w4:set_text("") w:update() end function click_HELP() local help_text="" .."<div style=\"background-color:lightgreen;\"><b>Time</b> is VLC extension (extension script \"time.lua\") that displays running time on the screen in a playing video.</div>" .."<hr />" .."<center><b><a style=\"background-color:#FF7FAA;\">&nbsp;Instructions&nbsp;</a></b></center>" .."<b><a style=\"background-color:#FF7FAA;\">1.)</a></b> Choose a desired <b><a style=\"background-color:lightblue;\">position</a></b> from the drop-down menu.<br />" .."<b><a style=\"background-color:#FF7FAA;\">2.)</a></b> In <b><a style=\"background-color:lightblue;\">time format</a></b> input field write some time pattern containing time tags. The list of available tags is below.<br />" .."You can use predefined pattern from the drop-down menu. Choose one and put it in the time format field by pressing <b><nobr><a style=\"background-color:silver;\">[ >> PUT^IN ]</a></nobr></b> button.<br />" .."<b><a style=\"background-color:#FF7FAA;\">3.)</a></b> Press <b><nobr><a style=\"background-color:silver;\">[ START ]</a></nobr></b> button for changes to take effect.<br /><br />" .."<b>Following <a style=\"background-color:#FF7FAA;\">time tags</a> can be used within time format pattern:</b>" .."<div style=\"background-color:#FF7FAA;\">" .."<b>&nbsp;[T]</b> - actual system time;<br />" .."<b>&nbsp;[O]</b> - time when video will be over;<br />" .."<b>&nbsp;[E]</b> - elapsed time (current playback position);<br />" .."<b>&nbsp;[R]</b> - remaining time;<br />" .."<b>&nbsp;[D]</b> - duration (length);</div>" .." > They are automatically replaced with actual time values on the screen.<br />" .." > If duration value is not available then [D], [R], [O] is replaced with \"--:--\".<br />" .." > You can also use some short descriptions or put some delimiters among time tags.<br />" .."<div style=\"background-color:#FFFF7F;\"><b>OSD text format</b> can be customised within internal VLC settings:<br />" .."Tools > Preferences > (Show settings - Simple) > Subtitles / OSD<br />" .."Tools > Preferences > (Show settings - All) > +Video > +Subtitles / OSD > -Text renderer<br />" .."Do not forget to Save and restart VLC for changes to take effect!</div>" .."<hr />" .."<div style=\"background-color:lightblue;\">" .."<b>Homepage:</b> <a href=\"http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=97639#p332364\">VLC extension: Time</a><br />" .."<b>Forum:</b> <a href=\"http://forum.videolan.org/viewforum.php?f=29\">Scripting VLC in Lua</a><br />" .."Please, visit us and bring some new ideas.<br />" .."Learn how to write own scripts and share them with us.<br />" .."Help to build happy VLC community :o)</div>" .."<pre> www<br />" .." (. .)<br />" .."-ooo-(_)-ooo-</pre>" w5=w:add_html(help_text,1,5,3,1) w14 = w:add_button("HELP (x)", click_HELPx,3,4,1,1) w:update() end function click_HELPx() w:del_widget(w5) w:del_widget(w14) w5=nil w14=nil w:update() end
Any ideas?

Thanks

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Re: Script for filename and playtime display on video

Postby mederi » 29 Jun 2013 12:40

Code: Select all

local osd_output = string.gsub(osd_output, "%[name%]", vlc.input.item():name())
Otherwise check Marquee subpicture filter in VLC.

Chromatic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Chromatic » 29 Jun 2013 18:13

I messed with code, and never got what I wanted.

Then I just experimented with built in variables.. and apparently there is a VERY easy solution to the problem.

You can display many things -- but for my usage, I wanted filename, current playtime/and duration length of video.

For future reference of others who are looking for the same ability in VLC without the headache I went to:

To add Filename + Playtime/Duration anywhere on your video -- go to:

Tools -- Preferences -- (all) -- >Marquee --> Now in the text box here is the key:

Enter the following: $N $T/$D --- These three variables are the key,.. the N is the a built in variable for filename,.. T = Current time elapsed,.. and D = Duration of the video file. You can format it anyway you like.

Further, I recommend adjusting the font size and color (if you wish to use something other than white) here. I personally used Font size,pixels: 10 -- (As I'm streaming, and want it non obtrusive).

Also, adjusting the Refresh period in ms is something to adjust if you wish. I changed Refresh period in ms from: 1000 to 5000. Thus, my counter updates every 5 seconds, makes it a bit less distracting while watching video. You can leave it at default 1000ms =1 sec updates.. or go higher.

Now Save.

Lastly go to Tools --> Effects and Filters -- > Video Effects -- > Now in the bottom right corner you will see "Add Text" -- Add your $N $T/$D here, and select your position (I used bottom-right).

** Note: The variables $N, $T and $D need the capitalized!

** Note: -- If you have it at the bottom right, or against an edge like I do -- Given the differing sizes of filenames,.. it will occasionally cause a shaking effect as it counts down. To remedy this you simply make sure you have a *space* after your last variable. In my case a space after $D -- This gives it some literal wiggle room, and no longer has this occasional shaking on some lengths of filenames.

This seems like a much easier solution than some scripts I've seen written just for time and so on,.. and works on the fly without a restart of VLC.

Take care,

Naveen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Naveen » 13 Oct 2021 15:02

Doesn't work, it only displays what is typed ($N $T/$D).

Return to “Scripting VLC in lua”