Override visual area?

Discuss your Lua playlist, album art and interface scripts.
Kavukamari
New Cone
New Cone

Override visual area?

Postby Kavukamari » 08 Sep 2014 03:47

I was wondering if it was possible (for audio files, I would assume) to override what is shown in the visual space using a custom script or plugin?

I was thinking it would be interesting to add custom controls into the visual area similar to what happens when you play an FLA file or DVD and tie the controls into a plugin that manipulates how the songs in your playlist play. I've seen lua used to embed HTML-made UIs into games and other things before, so perhaps using that it would be possible to force the visual area to show a custom user interface? Is this possible, or is it just not supported in the program?

Etoh
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Override visual area?

Postby Etoh » 09 Sep 2014 13:37

I know you can create custom visualizations (e.g. projectM) for audio, and that you can do some drawing onto that from LUA (e.g. vlc.osd.message), but I've never looked into having a proper custom GUI inside the video window.

If you want to just do your own thing then the best option might be to create an app that uses libVLC (or perhaps WebPlugin depending on what you want to do) and has the interface/functionality that you desire.

Return to “Scripting VLC in lua”