Deinterlacing (Discard) Video Snapshots

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
rjc
New Cone
New Cone

Deinterlacing (Discard) Video Snapshots

Postby rjc » 20 Jan 2012 07:11

Hi all,

I'm having a really frustrating time about this. I don't know if it's something changed between versions or some setting I haven't worked out, but it's like this:

Back in 0.9.6, when taking a video Snapshot, you could set the mode to "Deinterlace -> Discard", and the Snapshot would only export the one Field, resulting in a nice crisp image with no rats teeth or blur (albeit at a reduced resolution, 1/2 to be exact, because it was discarding the one field). This was nice for exporting e.g. images of faces nice and clear that could be used on CD covers etc.

Now I've upgraded to 1.1.10, and when I set Deinterlace to "Discard", the file resolution is still up at the original resolution (e.g. 720x480), and it's still filled with the rats teeth. It's like the Snapshot mode no longer takes any notice of what "Deinterlace" is set to, unlike the old version 0.9.6.

How can I make the Snapshot feature discard the field and get my nice crisp video snapshot back again like in the old version. Is it something I'm doing wrong, or is it a feature removed from the newer versions (that needs to be added back in)?

Thanks,

fenrir
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Deinterlacing (Discard) Video Snapshots

Postby fenrir » 21 Jan 2012 15:14

You should try VLC 1.2. With this version, the snapshot will be correctly taken after every video filters have been applied. One difference with 0.9 though will be that the video will be upscaled (ie you will have a picture of 720x480 instead of 720x240).

rjc
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Deinterlacing (Discard) Video Snapshots

Postby rjc » 24 Jan 2012 13:15

Fenrir,

Thanks so much for your response and letting me know there's a solution. Will try 1.2 with enthusiasm.

Thanks again.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”