HD-DVD 0.9 planned ?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Fazero

HD-DVD 0.9 planned ?

Postby Fazero » 26 May 2005 18:04

Hi,

Now that authorers can create both SD and HD interactive DVD with DVD Studio Pro 4 on 'old' discs, we are really in need of more open players than the Apple one.

So, to my point: is VLC capable of reading an HVDVD_TS on a DVD-5 or DVD-9 media, based on HD-DVD 0.9 official specs? (wich is what DVDSP 4 output).

I'm pretty sure it's not the case, so is there a timeline that professional authorers should know ?

Thanks a lot for that wonderful cross-platform app,
faz

nw42
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

HD-DVD & VLC...

Postby nw42 » 26 May 2006 16:07

This is a very interesting question!!

What's about the different HD-DVD formats & VLC playback?

I assume the filmmakers will start to send us lots of HD-DVD stuff starting this year - how we could deal with it?

For professinal e-Cinema playout with VLC we use MPEG II highprofile and we've started to checkout H.264 which is the future of highly efficient digital film storage - our first test's are promizing even if the H.264 support of VLC is still "experimental" - unfortunately up to date VLC has no multi processor optimized H.264 playback and so todays CPU's are to slow for a stable 1080p playback...

--> Next week I will checkout how VLC deals with content created with DVD Studio Pro...

best regards

Danko

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”