Fast-forward doesn't work with .flv files

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
nofing
New Cone
New Cone

Fast-forward doesn't work with .flv files

Postby nofing » 10 Jun 2011 20:34

Hi, I'm new to this forum and like most new members to the forums, I have a problem ;)
Sorry, if this was already asked, but I couldn't find any recent topics considering this issue.

Since the last update, I can't fast-forward or jump to a certain point in .flv media files anymore.
I have this issue on both Mac OS X 10.6.7 and Win7 and it worked perfectly fine on both OS's prior to the last update.
Is this a known issue and is there a fix for it?

mpdooley
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Fast-forward doesn't work with .flv files

Postby mpdooley » 11 Jun 2011 01:54

Hi, I'm new to this forum and like most new members to the forums, I have a problem ;)
Sorry, if this was already asked, but I couldn't find any recent topics considering this issue.

Since the last update, I can't fast-forward or jump to a certain point in .flv media files anymore.
I have this issue on both Mac OS X 10.6.7 and Win7 and it worked perfectly fine on both OS's prior to the last update.
Is this a known issue and is there a fix for it?
My "impression" is that this is or has been a recurring issue with VideoLAN. The issue may be due to elements of some files or VLC version or simply the installation process. As I have not done any systematic testing this is at best anecdotal. However I can say or state that the most recent update - VLC 1.1.10 - will or does play and allow one to jump ahead in some .flv files.

My recollection over several updates of VLC has been that this issue seems to come and go. As such my recollection is version 1.1.8 had few if any issues with .flv media, version 1.1.9 had serious issues - any attempt to jump ahead in a video during play or after pausing a video triggers a restart of the video track rather than advancing to the selection point in the video.

As these events or this behavior seems to come and go from version to version it may be or have been a compilation issue, an installation issue, or just my "imagination" LOL.

Suggest you try installing an earlier version and re-test and/or uninstall and re-install the current version and re-test.

Also you might specify a file causing issues for your installation that others can then access and confirm your observations and playback issues.

HTH

NIP - This has been an issue I also have wondered about but simply have not systematically addressed to allow me to shed more light on the issue. Having seen it re-occur after installing VLC 1.1.9 and now disappear or be less frequent in VLC 1.1.10 suggest that it is or may be a thread that is needed.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Jun 2011 11:55

The issue was present in the first builds of 1.1.10. Updated builds should fix it and 1.1.10.1 for mac too.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

nofing
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nofing » 14 Jun 2011 14:40

The issue was present in the first builds of 1.1.10. Updated builds should fix it and 1.1.10.1 for mac too.
Are those new versions supposed to be out yet, because I still have the same issue, even after a completely removing and reinstalling on both systems.
The Mac x64 version still shows as 1.1.10 and not as 1.1.10.1

Edit: Ok, it's still not working with 1.1.10.1 on OSX and the latest version for Windows

nofing
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nofing » 25 Jun 2011 11:53

Ok, I've moved back to 1.1.8, which seems to be the last version, that can play .flv files, without problems, on both Win7 and OSX. I guess I have to wait for 1.1.11 or 1.1.12 until I can update the player again.

ale5000
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
Operating System: Windows

Postby ale5000 » 25 Jun 2011 19:56

I have reported the problem here: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/4853

bbbat7
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bbbat7 » 17 Jul 2011 01:46

Thank You nofing . I followed your advice and went back to version 1.1.8. Now the navigation works again with .flv files. Thank you for doing the work to discover a solution to this problem.

The newest VLC version as of right now -- 1.1.11 -- definitely does not work. . . . . smh

tomray
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tomray » 20 Oct 2011 21:59

for me... 1.1.11 didn't fast forward with flv and mkv from ONLY MEGAUPLOAD thru this site using downloadhelper with firefox -http://www.watchcartoononline.com/men-i ... -syndrome-. Some other mkv flv I have ff'ed ok. 1.1.8 works allrite.

Thanks all for the program and the fix....

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”