VLC 1.1.5 and m2ts files

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Jito463
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC 1.1.5 and m2ts files

Postby Jito463 » 06 Dec 2010 11:23

I've recently begun ripping some of my Blu-Ray discs to my HDD as m2ts files, using a combination of AnyDVD HD and tsMuxer. I've left the video intact, but converted the audio from DTS-HD to DTS (in case that's relevant). I can play the movies just fine, but the timer does not progress, and if I attempt to skip around the video, then VLC locks up and I have to terminate the process. If I try to play with WMP (Windows 7 x64), then the video and seeking works fine, but I don't get any audio. Due to this, I'm beginning to wonder if the audio component has something to do with the lockup. For the record, I also tried with Media Player Classic (wouldn't even start) and PowerDVD 9 (stuttered and froze, would not play video).

Interestingly enough, one of the four movies I tried does not lock up when seeking. It's also the only movie that does not have a preview icon in Explorer. Not sure if that's pertinent, but it is unique.

I have not tried reverting the version of VLC, as I've always used the latest version of the programs I run, but if someone thinks that might fix the problem, I would be happy to give it a try. Any other suggestions for fixing the seeking issue would be appreciated. Relevant system specs are as follows:

AMD Phenom II 955
8GB DDR2 PC2-6400
Creative Audigy 2
Windows 7 x64

*EDIT*
Just to add, I downloaded and ran Media Player Classic - Home Cinema x64, based on suggestions from another forum, and I can skip around within the m2ts files no problem. The issue does not appear to be caused by the files, but by VLC itself. I guess I'll just have to wait for an update to the program.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC 1.1.5 and m2ts files

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Dec 2010 12:15

Are you sure the tsMuxer is correct?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Jito463
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC 1.1.5 and m2ts files

Postby Jito463 » 08 Dec 2010 02:39

Are you sure the tsMuxer is correct?
I don't know, I've only started playing with the program. What do you mean? I'd be glad to investigate further.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”