Bad Mp3 Quality

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Emily

Bad Mp3 Quality

Postby Emily » 02 Apr 2005 16:49

I downloaded Videolan and noticed that the sound quality from mp3 files were kinda bad compared to WMP. I can notice some obvious bass distortions when playing my songs.

I've tried looking around the settings in the preference menu but I can't seem to figure anything out. Is it possible that I need to install a proper mp3 codec?

Can you guys please advice me as I like to switch to Videolan since it uses less resources on my pc.

Thanks! :)))

Asim
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Asim » 02 Apr 2005 22:19

have you tried using a different channel mixer... (under preferences, click on advanced tab and you will be able to modify your audio mixer...)

- Asim

Emily

Postby Emily » 03 Apr 2005 06:58

Hi, thanks for the reply :P :P

I went to Preference->General Settings->Audio->Channel Mixer and noticed it's currently set on Default. I tried a few other settings but the sound is still bad. It's hard to describe it but it is like the song is mixed with some distorting background noise. This becomes more apparent the louder I set the volume.

I really hope someone can help me solve this problem. I want to get rid of WMP as it constantly causes my pc to crash :?

Emily

Postby Emily » 04 Apr 2005 22:16

Can someone please help me?

Rogin

Dido

Postby Rogin » 07 Apr 2005 10:26

I have the same problem though mine is even more sever. It's really staticky audio from mp3s and from any video files. Also the video sometimes has weird red lighting in it. Windows Media Player actually plays the files normally though. I have tried various versions of VLC. Before on this computer it used to work, but I reformatted and it stoppped.

Emily

Postby Emily » 08 Apr 2005 10:41

I really wish someone could help out here. It's almost impossible to get any support in this support forum.

publius
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby publius » 09 Apr 2005 20:09

Well, you're not going to get much help if you don't report your OS, hardware, and VLC versions/descriptions. In fact the moderators here like to give nasty replies to people who ignore the announcement to that effect. So, what VLC are you running, on what kind of machine? If you specify, somebody can begin to understand your problem.

Emily

Postby Emily » 09 Apr 2005 22:43

Sorry, I should have been more aware. My mistake.

I'm using Dell Inspiron 2.4Ghz with 1GB ram on a WinXP OS. I'm currently using VideoLan 0.8.1.

My problem seems to be with the quality of mp3 Audio. In comparison to Winamp or WMP10, there is a significant difference in the sound quality. With VideoLan, I tend to get a noticable distortion in the sound as I raise the volume level. At 25%, the sound is still alright but as I increase the volume, the distortion becomes noticable.

I have tried with the latest nightly build but that didnt help. Could it be that I need to install a new codec to play mp3 files?

Thanks!

publius
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby publius » 10 Apr 2005 21:22

Well, VLC is not really the kind of programme which uses a library of external CODECs. It is possible that you could have some kind of file corruption, but I would expect that using a different build would compensate for that. I am doing a head-to-head listening test between VLC and WinAmp as I type this, and I can't really tell any difference between them [this on a Dell Dimension 4100, XP Pro, with an old SoundBlaster card running analog out to my stereo reciever].
Now, you mentioned adjusting the audio volume. What are you listening through, and where are you making this adjustment? I try to avoid using software level controls because of the possibility of clipping, which could occur at different levels in different programmes.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”