Vlc and xspf: mix movie and still images

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
KoenW
New Cone
New Cone

Vlc and xspf: mix movie and still images

Postby KoenW » 16 Oct 2010 21:08

Doing a presentation with the aid of vlc. It is a combination of several movies and some pictures.
I have no trouble of making a playlist with both movies and pictures. Trouble is: pictures are displayed some 10 seconds and then move on to the next item.
Is it possible to make a playlist so that you have to push enter when a movie is finished to move to the next item or push enter when you want the next image (no 10 seconds of display but display until you hit enter)?

Kind regards,

Koen

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Vlc and xspf: mix movie and still images

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 17 Oct 2010 09:56

Set image-duration to 0. Then you need to press Next.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

KoenW
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KoenW » 17 Oct 2010 14:08

Edited the xspf-file to 0 duration. On my linux-system it refuses to load the image. You have to manually select the image in the playlist. It then is briefly shown (about 0.5 second), then the playlist stops again.

KoenW
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KoenW » 17 Oct 2010 17:07

The big idea is to let VLC behave as a presentation-program. Instead of having slides this concept has movies and pictures. The playlist is the order in which the 'slides' should be shown. What I do miss is that you sometimes have to stop after the movies and pictures to give additional info to the public. The duration of this interruption is not known. So you can not say: I'll hit enter during the 10 seconds a picture is shown, when you want to start of again, you would have to wait several seconds. Also: when you forget to hit enter, the presentation goes on and it is then a nuissance to return to the previous.
It sounds weird but I'm just looking for a) a way to stop a playlist after movie X or picture Y, hit enter and the list continues to play. b) show a picture until you hit enter.

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Postby erwan10 » 17 Oct 2010 20:14

With the next major vlc version (aka vlc1.2), everything you ask for will be available. You'll just have to set up --image-duration to 0 to avoid the 10-second default duration for still images. On Windows, you can already get a nightly build and test it (for instance, http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win ... 1017-0002/)

With the current version (vlc1.1.x), a known issue prevents still images from being stored in a playlist. They actually either become a one-frame video (a fleeting display) (jpeg files) or issue an error (png, bmp, tiff, ... files).

With vlc1.1.x, the only workaround that I know of is to use a bat or a script shell and pass still images as arguments to vlc. (and use --fake-duration to -1 for infinite duration)

Amaponian
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Amaponian » 13 May 2016 02:31

What KoenW wanted to do
can be made
converting the still images
into videos
with the same frame repeated
several times
so to last the desired time.