0.8.2-test1 on Mac can't play a52 audio, and kills sys beep

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Foxxer
New Cone
New Cone

0.8.2-test1 on Mac can't play a52 audio, and kills sys beep

Postby Foxxer » 12 Mar 2005 22:24

When I open a file which has audio encoded in "a52" (according to the "Properties" window) and try to play it in VLC, it plays with video only, no audio. And from that moment until I reboot the computer, the system beep sound is gone - other audio (such as from iTunes) works just fine, it's only the sysbeep that's gone, and System Preferences looks like it's still enabled and nothing in there will turn it back on.

This is on Mac OS X 10.3.8 on a G5/1.8 single-processor tower.

I copied everything in the Messages window and posted it to "http://www.enchanter.net/vlc.log".

(I originally reported this problem on 0.8.1, but it also happens on 0.8.2-test1, so I changed the subject line.)
Last edited by Foxxer on 25 May 2005 06:13, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » 13 Mar 2005 12:05

Same issue here 10.3.8 Dual 2.5Ghz G5 mike@alaskanet.org

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 13 Mar 2005 15:59

Please search the forum before asking questions.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Foxxer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Foxxer » 14 Mar 2005 00:25

I did.

And I just searched again, and I still don't see where this particular issue has been mentioned before. If I missed a previous discussion on this topic, would you please point me to it?

Postby Guest » 14 Mar 2005 03:46

Well I have my issue resolved, I can now play a52 audio on my G5 I took the files from the latest CVS build from http://xserve.via.ecp.fr/~videolan/macosx/ I copied
liba52_plugin.dylib liba52sys_plugin.dylib liba52tofloat32_plugin.dylib liba52tospdif_plugin.dylib and replaced them in the package from VLC 0.8.1 and all works GREAT!!! but I have a question for DJ I have a plugin that worked with my Motorola HD Cable box via Firewire and it only works on VLC 0.7.2 now it's not working.. any help would be great

FOXXER if you want you can download the updated ver of VLC that works for me from http://www.alaskanet.org/VLC.zip

mike@alaskanet.org

Postby Guest » 14 Mar 2005 03:56

The DJ here is some more information on the plugin I was talking about in the last post you can download the source and comp from http://www.alaskanet.org/VLC_Module.sit

Mac OS X FireWire MPEG2 Transport Stream VLC Access Module

Requirements

1) VLC 0.7.2

2) OS X 10.3.x

3) A cable set-top box capable of firewire output

Limitations

1) The cable box must be the only device on the FireWire bus

2) You can only connect and watch once. If you close the viewing window, or it closes itself, you will need to quit VLC and restart to watch again.

3) A dual G5 2.5GHz can view high definition without any breakups/glitches.

Installation

If you know how to add modules to VLC go ahead and add this one. Otherwise:

1) Locate VLC

2) Control-click to bring up the contextual menu and select "Show Package Contents"

3) Open the "Contents" folder in the folder that appears

4) Open the "MacOS" folder

5) Copy libaccess_firewire_plugin.dylib to the "modules" folder in the "MacOS" folder.

6) Close the folders.

Uninstall

1) Remove the module from the modules folder above.

Operation

1) Launch VLC. If you have more than one version of VLC make sure you launch the one you installed the module in.

2) Select "Open Network..." from the File menu

3) In the Media Resource Locator (MRL) text field enter

fw://sadf

Note that sadf is arbitrary. At this point it can be anything. The important thing is that it starts with fw://

Everything else in the dialog can be left at the defaults.

4) Press the OK button.

5) It will take at least one second for the viewing window to come up if it is going to work. If it does not appear after a few seconds, it probably did not work.

If it fails to work emailing the following to macpvr@comcast.net could help (please include your OS version and CPU(s)):

If VLC did not crash, but the video did not appear, or appeared badly, select the Messages item from the Window menu. Select all of the text in the message, copy it, and send it.

If VLC did crash, relaunch VLC and select the Messages item from the Window menu. Press the Open CrashLog button. Copy the contents of the windows that appears and sent it.

Foxxer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Foxxer » 14 Mar 2005 07:28

I tried the latest build (vlc-macosx-200503140350), and it exhibits the same problem as I had with 0.8.1.

Postby Guest » 14 Mar 2005 07:36

did you download the one I posted on my webserver? also you may want to goto pref, click Advanced --> Mod's --> Audio output --> core audio --> Audio device set to 1

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 14 Mar 2005 20:31

just search for G5 and coreaudio.

There are lot's of problems, but this one is because VLC tries to use SPDIF output instead of analog output when it tries to playback multichannel audio on a G5.
This has been reported a 1000 times, but we currently don't have the hardware nor the expertise to fix the problems.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 14 Mar 2005 20:32

I would definetly like to see work continue on that firewall module btw. It would be a great addition.

Foxxer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Foxxer » 15 Mar 2005 12:31

Guest: Wow, thank you! I copied the four liba52 library modules from the latest CVS build into the current version of VLC, and that solved the problem - now I can play these movie files with audio! (Though it still kills my system beep sound until I reboot.)

Very strange that the latest CVS build itself can't play audio, and neither can the current version, but if I use the modules from the CVS build with the current version then it works...

mburlingame
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mburlingame » 16 Mar 2005 08:23

Yeah, I found that to be very strange, but I am not loseing my System Beep really really strange.. Glad to know that it's working for you, The DJ we may have a solution for the a52 & G5 issue. what has changed from the 4 files on the CVS and the production release?

Lon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Lon » 17 Mar 2005 05:26

I would definetly like to see work continue on that firewall module btw. It would be a great addition.
Working on it :D

mburlingame
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mburlingame » 17 Mar 2005 09:51

Lon --> Cool Keep me posted please if you make progress

GuestGus

Thanks Mike

Postby GuestGus » 21 Mar 2005 14:02

Mike, many thanks for the updated version. It works great for me so far.
FOXXER if you want you can download the updated ver of VLC that works for me from http://www.alaskanet.org/VLC.zip

Postby Guest » 27 Mar 2005 10:46

No worries I will leave the file on my server as long as it's needed/

Foxxer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Foxxer » 27 Mar 2005 17:57

Guest - that version you have for download, all you did to create it was to copy the four plugin files from the CVS version into the release version, right?

Or is it something different?

Foxxer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Foxxer » 25 May 2005 05:49

The same problem as I described in my very first post above is still present in vlc-0.8.2-test1 on the Mac. It's still unable to play a52 audio, and trying to play it ends up killing the system beep until reboot.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”